Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story Reviews

• Oct 18, 2017

This film (video re-transfer) has earned in my heart the honor of "First film I will ever review on Rotten Tomatoes" You'll never see this film because how the hell would you find it? (Acme Video, Hope St. Providence, RI. Bring your VHS player) Todd Haynes has done better, but he will never be able to live this down as his first (I think) film. It is insightful, campy and full of Barbie dolls. Like a film made in a therapy session! So, eat your heart out Biography.

• Oct 18, 2017

Now I was never a fan of The Carpenters before the film and i don't think i'll be a huge fan, but i definitely admire their work. The same happened with Todd Haynes' I'm Not There, now I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan. The film, recommended by huge Carpenters fan and respected critic Mark Kermode after he claimed it was "genuinely moving". So my mission derived in the search of the film, now discovered i realize how overrated it is. I mean, it is definitely good but it lacks that empathy that people claim it has. I feel for her, but i'm not weeping. I think Haynes has a particular love for bother film and music and knows how to blend them together well and has a knack for taking risks. This is probably the biggest risk: Barbie dolls. And that is where the empathy is lost, through no facial expressions. The other challenging issue was if these voices were just voices or real performances, i think that Richard Carpenters voice was particularly astounding to hear, but not to watch. It's been given a cult following, but normally a cult following has a vast audience and special recognitions and DVD's and t-shirts etc etc But this got banned in 1990, so can it really have a following when nobody can see it. I was lucky to get this and thank GoogleVideo U.K.™ for getting it. Now one of the only places you can see this is in Clinics and it's not the most entertaining watch, it's a bit to old fashioned, problematic and long for clinics but it does the job With the music department it was caarfully crafted and chose the songs that had meaning and a sombre atmosphere to it and that helped quite a bit. On the whole it is a silly film, doing a serious topic and in places is quite shocking and thought provoking. But in all seriousness this isn't in the least gripping. It has a begining, an end and where's the filling? It just mumbles on, it basically just talks about her life than acts it.

• Oct 18, 2017

A movie that's genuinely hard to pigeonhole.

A movie that's genuinely hard to pigeonhole.

• Oct 18, 2017

[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][img]http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/usa_films/wet_hot_american_summer/_group_photos/a_d__miles4.jpg[/img] [/size][/font] [left][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]I was actually surprised by the low tomatometer this one got. It's a cult film, I guess. There are so many jokes here, so many weird ones as well. Then again, I'm a weird guy, so I can say none of them missed for me. Some were just less funny than others. I mean, it has a can of vegetables that claims it can suck its own dick. Then there was the same sound effect being over and over again. Brilliant or insanely stupid? Only Jesus knows. [b][url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006969/"]Lindsay[/url][/b]: What 'cha doing? [b][url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748620/"]Andy[/url][/b]: Writing in my gournal. I write my thoughts in it every day. [b][url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006969/"]Lindsay[/url][/b]: Oh, you mean a journal? [b][url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748620/"]Andy[/url][/b]: Yeah, whatever. I guess I'm not all smart like you. [/size][/font] [/left] [left] [center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][img]http://saigoncine.free.fr/images/sno.jpg[/img] [/size][/font][/center] [font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]Is this Kitano's Dirty Harry? Looked like it to me. A cop who lives by his own rules, and is rather... well, violent. It's a grim movie, that sometimes seems too derivative to be a complete succes. It's saved by Kitano's performance and his use of violence. [/size][/font] [center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][img]http://www.stylusmagazine.com/images/popplayground/040803_02.jpg[/img] [/size][/font] [left][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]So this is a biopic about Karen Carpenter, only it's done with puppets. Barbie dolls, to be precise. Or maybe they're not... my knowledge on puppets for girls is limited. (Although I never understood why anyone would invest in those children Barbie dolls, they were pretty dull looking). Anyway, you easily get over the fact that Karen's life is shown with the help of dolls, which was kinda surprising. Still, the movie moves too fast and is never really able to let something sink in. [/size][/font][/left] [font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][img]http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/pathfinder/gozu/shohei_hino/gozu.jpg[/img] [/size][/font][/center] [font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]Heist kept recommending this one to me, so I finally gave in and watched it. It's a strange movie. I thought of it as a spoof on David Lynch's movies, only played out as if it was a genuine David Lynch movie. It doesn't make sense at all, and I doubt it was ment to. [/size][/font][/left] [/center]

• Oct 18, 2017

Barbie dolls can be the best actresses.

Barbie dolls can be the best actresses.

• Sep 21, 2015

Intelligently utilizing barbie dolls and doll-house sets to tell a story of anorexia and the ways in which society cultivates female image disorders that can result in the disease, Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story stands out among its biographical genre thanks to Haynes' unconventional direction and its tackling of heady social critiques.

• Oct 17, 2013

Had I not watched this, I would have never known the tragic story of the Carpenters, which, I stress again, never appears to be quite likeable to me because their artificial smoothness. But that's besides the point of the film, which showcases Haynes as an excellent director once again. But unlike the slow-burn creep of Safe, this film revealed its ingenuity quite instantly.

• Candy R Super Reviewer
    Oct 06, 2013

Movng story about the rise to fame for the Carpenter siblings.

Movng story about the rise to fame for the Carpenter siblings.

• Aug 04, 2013

What a weird way to tell the sad story of somebody's life. I had to double check that I wasn't watching some joke version of this film. I began by thinking that having her life played out by dolls was just bad taste but, by the end, I'd gotten used to the idea and thought why not. It's a strange very dark film but incredibly intriguing.