Support Your Local Gunfighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Support Your Local Gunfighter Reviews

November 11, 2015
Some great humour. One of my favourites, "I never should have given him that book on napoleon. Now he always sticks his hand in his vest."
June 25, 2015
some funny moments but doesn't have the heart the first team up had, funny at times but definitely a step down compared to support your local sherriff.
March 30, 2015
good mix of western and comedy
½ January 11, 2015
Very funny classic western.. I love James Garner. With dialogue like this, how can you lose?

I'm supposed to pretend I'm Swifty Morgan? Goodbye!

They're willing to pay.

How much?

One thousand dollars. We'll split it fifty-fifty. That means four hundred for you.

That seems fair. But I think that...

No, no you don't. That's part of the deal. I do the thinking, you stand around and look tough.
½ October 5, 2014
Sequel to "Support Your Local Sheriff" offers a pretty similar story of conman James Garner taming a wacky town in the wild west, mostly with his wits instead of his guns or fists. Burt Kennedy returned to direct this entertaining, though awfully silly, west. Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Henry Jones, Dub Taylor and Kathleen Freeman all also return for this sequel and are joined by the very likable Suzanne Pleshette, Joan Blondell, Chuck Connors, Marie Windsor, and John Dehner. It's a complete piece of fluff, but it's a very amiable film
August 11, 2014
Support Your Local Gunfighter is charming. It's interesting how this isn't a sequel to Support Your Local Sheriff, even though it features many of the same actors. It's completely silly, especially the ending, and it's totally predictable, but there's something endearing about this story about a con man in the old west. Rest in peace, James Garner.
½ July 25, 2014
April 10, 2014
A remake of "Suport your local sheriff". This is the better of the two films.
January 30, 2014
This is the second of James Garner's "Support Your Local" western series. This one is the funnier of the two. This movie has a story and it is a comedy Western and not a spoof of the Western Movie. The character is again a version of the Maverick character he played in the Maverick TV series. I first saw this movie with my cousin at the old movie theater in downtown McAlester, Oklahoma. We laughed so hard our sides hurt. Then we laughed the entire walk back to his house. The best lines all had the word "ass" in them. Of course they were talking about donkeys. Suzanne Pleshette was great in this movie as the wild daughter. Then at the end Jack Elam claims to go on to be a big star in Italian Westerns talking to the audience. It's set in Purgatory, Colorado which is a real town in Colorado. Of course this is a fictional version and not the real Purgatory.
May 17, 2013
A good comedy western.
½ March 25, 2013
Good enough to have been a Disney film from Uncle Walt. Exceptional cast, but focus on Ellen Corby, Suzanne, and Jack. We all know and love Jack, right?
December 20, 2012
I love these movies! I do highly recommend this one and "Support Your Local Sheriff"
July 9, 2012
One of my favorite old movies.
April 17, 2012
not as good as the previous, but it was still enjoyable. the tatoo thing was funny, but very remnant of wino forever, and it made me laugh.
March 31, 2012
Caught this on TMC the other night, and was really loved it. A very funny western spoof with a lot of heart.
June 25, 2011
Lacks most of the charming wit and tongue-in-cheek humor of Support Your Local Sherrif. Actually looks more like a parody of a Jamess Garner Maverick movie, only Garner parodies himself, which is quite odd. Goldie Hawn playing a madam? Now THAT's good type casting.
½ April 29, 2011
For a western comedy (which is a sub genre i don't care for), this isn't a bad flick at all - greatly helped by the always likeable James ROCKFORD FILES Garner and the awesome Jack Elam! One of those "lazy rainy day" movies
that you catch on tv and sit and watch.
September 9, 2010
June 26, 2010
Really enjoyed this movie. Love James Garner!!!!
June 20, 2010
Fun way to spend an evening. Favorite line: "We all got to die sometime."

"Yeah, but the smart ones put it off as long as possible."