Support Your Local Gunfighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Support Your Local Gunfighter Reviews

April 10, 2010
I thought it was interesting how this film got a lot of the same cast from Support Your Local Sheriff to do this film however this film was not as good because the characters they were playing there characteristics just were not as loyal and trustworthy as they were in Support Your Local Sheriff. Also the comedy in this film was not as good.
January 24, 2010
James Garner plays it cool and amicable like few leading actors can, nevertheless, the material isn't as good as "Support Your Local Sheriff". Garner's charm saves the day, the movie tries hard to be be funny and often times ends up being annoying. Few chuckles along the way.
November 25, 2009
Honestly, this isn't a bad movie... James Garner is great, the other characters are good too, plus there's an abundance of subtle jokes (my favorite kind). It's just not my type of Western - I like them to have a more serious feel, yet still contain plenty of that clever humor... this one just seems too silly or slapstick for me.
November 22, 2009
This was a real pleasure to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Scenes with James Garner and Jack Elam were hilarious.
September 5, 2009
Sheriff was better. Plays Garner as a less-likable con man. Story rambles a little. Still--fun to watch.
September 4, 2009
I have to say this movie was funny. I never seen James Garner movie before. And this movie my first James Garner movie I seen. Jack Elam was funny to.
½ August 3, 2009
VERY funny spoof of Westerns with the implacable James Garner. Sure, you know what's going to happen and sure, you know everyone in the cast, but it's all done so well by experts that you laugh all the way through.
June 3, 2009
Disappointing sequel (of sorts) to 'Support Your Local Sheriff' with far fewer laughs and little in the way of memorable scenes.
½ June 1, 2009
Not exactly a sequel and not exactly a rib-tickling western comedy, although the story often raises a smile or two as it is nicely performed.
½ May 26, 2009
James Gardner is one of the all time great male cool actors. This movie has a great supporting cast. If you like the Rockford files (TV) and the 1994 Maverick Remake (Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner). Great supporting cast, Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam (you will recognize, great supporting actors) and Harry Morgan to name a few. This is a sequel of sorts to Support Your Local Sheriff, also good. If you are a fan of Western Comedy you should see.
½ March 10, 2009
This is a comedy western movie but it is a different one because there is not much fight or gunfight in it. This is very sympathetic movie also funny in some scenes.

Our hero is a new yorker guy that steals women money with charming them. He comes to west city but he doesn't like the west and the guns, horses and etc. People in this city thinks he is a hired famous gunman, he uses this identity. This is the general subject of the movie.

Acting is good for a comedy movie, there is also romance and this is a plus for this one. I liked this movie and enjoyed when watching but if you look for a classic movie don't look at this one. I watched this one at a Sunday morning.
½ January 20, 2009
A decent follow-up to Support Your Local Sheriff. Not quite the same quality, but there are still plenty of laughs to be had.
½ December 31, 2008
very well done. i liked it alot. another family movie for sure!
December 28, 2008
not as good as the previous, but it was still enjoyable. the tatoo thing was funny, but very remnant of wino forever, and it made me laugh.
½ December 17, 2008
Not quite as good as the first spoof-- but the spitfire Suzanne Pleshette livens things up plenty. Still fun!
½ October 28, 2008
Great western and comedy movie. "Support Your Local Gunfighter" long with "Support Your Local Sheriff" are great western and comedy movies. James Garner is great in this movie as was Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam, Henry Morgan, and John Dehner. James Garner plays a chacter not to much different from than the he plays as in the TV show "Maverick". The movie is zany and funny. I enjoy this movie every times I watch the movie.
"Support Your Local Gunfighter" is movie that fun to whatch and enjoy with whole family.
August 26, 2008
Not in the same league as 'Support Your Local Sheriff." Most of the "funny" scenes are very stupid. It had a few good parts, but not enough to save this movie.
Not one that I would want to see more than once.
August 10, 2008
Caught this on TMC the other night, and was really loved it. A very funny western spoof with a lot of heart.
½ August 8, 2008
A chance to cash of "sheriff" stars many of the same actors. Not as good as the first film but still is enjoyable. Suzanna Pleshette is entertaining as the hot blooded love interest and Garner is still as charming as hell.
June 9, 2008