Supporting Characters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supporting Characters Reviews

Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Supporting Characters is entertaining enough and it does remind me of Woody Allen films (though minus the charm). It is the type of film that many people will love and others will hate. Supporting Characters is not really plot-driven nor is it episodic but somewhere in-between and at the end it fades out. Characters themselves have a smugness that will irritate some viewers though I find it tolerable (it is how people are). The main strength is wittiness/cleverness of the dialogue. It's uneven but the positives outweighs the negatives and overall the film works for me.
May 7, 2015
In "Supporting Characters," Nick(Alex Karpovsky) gets to sleep in while his fiancee Amy(Sophia Takal) goes to work. That's not to say he has it easy because he and his partner Darryl(Tarik Lowe) have their work cut out for them in editing Adrian's(Kevin Corrigan) movie. On the other hand, Nick gets to work with the beautiful Jamie(Arielle Kebbel) in re-recording some of her dialogue.

As a movie about film editors, "Supporting Characters" suffers in the shadows of Albert Brooks' previous "Modern Romance." That's not say "Supporting Characters" it not without its share of pluses, namely being an amiable romantic comedy with a likable cast. It also has a sweet conversation centered around "Indecent Proposal." But just as "Supporting Characters" seeks to show how important editors are to putting together a film, it also gives a tutorial in how not to edit one, which is namely illustrated by the movie's inconsistencies.
March 3, 2015
A thoughtful and appealingly modest indie comedy that's as illuminating towards the world of film editing, as it is towards the struggles with keeping a relationship. A real treat for those looking for a good no-budget film streaming on Netflix.
½ August 4, 2014
Why does every romantic movie these days have to revolve around infidelity? On the plus side were the interesting main characters and their bromantic chemistry, as well as the subtle but delightful comedy. I think the movie also ended as well as it could have in terms of the romantic elements.
July 21, 2014
felt like an extended episode of HBO's 'Girls" which is ok by me cos i just love that show and liked this one
June 1, 2014
I'm really surprised by the very high ratings here. I found the film a bit dull. As an editor myself, I didn't really think it was an accurate representation of the profession.
April 7, 2014
I can appreciate a good indie film. Not entirely sure this one qualifies. The lead is either just annoying or a pretty interesting character. In the end, I thought it was more an observational story about relationships than anything. Nothing really to be learned other than gaining a glimpse into behavior.

That's the strength of the movie - that it rings true. Things get complicated, people are less than honest, etc. No one is terribly bad, those things just happen. But in a movie with a slow, uninvolving story and nothing real eye-catching in how the movie is made, I guess my rating is a testament of how accurate I thought the writing to be.
January 31, 2014
World premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 20, 2012. The film follows two New York film editors trying to balance their personal lives while reworking a film.
November 29, 2013
nice movie well written dialogues
October 19, 2013
They need to make more movies like this. This is another good example that goes to show that you don't need a huge hollywood budget to make good movies.
½ August 29, 2013
What a great film! I think that Alex Karpovsky has a huge career ahead of him, and he is kicking it off with some really great indie movies. I had just seen Red Flag, and this movie was even better. If you have not seen Red Flag, it is worth seeing as the story and theme are similar to this movie.

The storytelling in this movie is well done and the humor is interjected in a way that makes this story flow and keep you really involved in each of the characters.

This is a great movie to watch with your significant other, as it has enough humor and drama and moves along fast enough to make sure everyone will have a great time!
July 12, 2013
A sharp lil' indie diving into the world of 2 movie editors. Really enjoyed it.
July 6, 2013
I did want to like this movie so much the first 40 minutes were good setup and than the movie just stops ant nothing happiness for the rest of the movie the cast it great for what they have to work with and everyone talks like real people but just the fake that nothing happiness kills every good thing about this movie
July 5, 2013
really great film. no happy ending here, but one of hope.
June 19, 2013
Aaalmost love it- Liked it a lot.
½ January 25, 2013
Supporting characters is a movie about two editors and best friends as they work on editing a movie together while also trying to navigate their relationships with each other and their significant others.

The movie is well written with some very interesting scenes in, however at times the movie and dialogue can feel a little dry. The story is an original tale and the movie has that charming indie sort of feel to it. After watching the movie I felt it was more of a buddy comedy than a romantic comedy. The movie is a very laid back movie, which is displayed through the color scheme of the movie which was very soft and cool toned with many plain colors.

The acting is neither good or bad, a lot of the character's have an indifferent quality to them. The biggest problem I had with the movie was at time the background noise or music was to overpowering. It sometimes made the dialogue difficult to hear and with scenes that had music, it gave the movie a feeling of over dramatization that detracted from the movie. The movie at times has a very raw feeling to it, however that can be quickly disrupted through the editor's use of overly loud music in the dialogue.

The thing I enjoyed about this movie as a personal pleasure that since it was about film editors, it's a movie that's very relatable for those of us who are or aspire to be a part of the film industry. You get see problems that a job in a film industry and the unique challenges it presents to a person and their relationships. The state of how the film production is also a reflection of the state of each characters personal relationships. The successes of the movie are mirrored by bliss of their personal relationships when it seems like the movie is falling apart so are their relationships with their significant others.

This is a movie that also provides a view of what it is like work behind the scenes and an examination of the struggle that many filmmakers have of giving up some control of their project even though it may be in the best interest of the film. The director (the character in the movie not the director of the film) believes that his vision is being tarnished and ruined by the producer an the editors of the film. This goes to the point in which the director tries to block the film from even being made. The struggle of the filmmaking process and the clashing of ideas, it very much accurately represents the power struggle behind the making of a film. The film I think in the end sends an important message to aspiring filmmakers and those in the film industry, that is the idea of working as team and working together creatively.

Overall a relatively good film, that people who make movies will be able to relate to personally. Overdramatized through sound editing but has a very sincere and charming indie feel to it.