Supporting Characters Reviews

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

Supporting Characters is entertaining enough and it does remind me of Woody Allen films (though minus the charm). It is the type of film that many people will love and others will hate. Supporting Characters is not really plot-driven nor is it episodic but somewhere in-between and at the end it fades out. Characters themselves have a smugness that will irritate some viewers though I find it tolerable (it is how people are). The main strength is wittiness/cleverness of the dialogue. It's uneven but the positives outweighs the negatives and overall the film works for me.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    May 07, 2015

In "Supporting Characters," Nick(Alex Karpovsky) gets to sleep in while his fiancee Amy(Sophia Takal) goes to work. That's not to say he has it easy because he and his partner Darryl(Tarik Lowe) have their work cut out for them in editing Adrian's(Kevin Corrigan) movie. On the other hand, Nick gets to work with the beautiful Jamie(Arielle Kebbel) in re-recording some of her dialogue. As a movie about film editors, "Supporting Characters" suffers in the shadows of Albert Brooks' previous "Modern Romance." That's not say "Supporting Characters" it not without its share of pluses, namely being an amiable romantic comedy with a likable cast. It also has a sweet conversation centered around "Indecent Proposal." But just as "Supporting Characters" seeks to show how important editors are to putting together a film, it also gives a tutorial in how not to edit one, which is namely illustrated by the movie's inconsistencies.

• Mar 03, 2015

A thoughtful and appealingly modest indie comedy that's as illuminating towards the world of film editing, as it is towards the struggles with keeping a relationship. A real treat for those looking for a good no-budget film streaming on Netflix.

• Aug 04, 2014

Why does every romantic movie these days have to revolve around infidelity? On the plus side were the interesting main characters and their bromantic chemistry, as well as the subtle but delightful comedy. I think the movie also ended as well as it could have in terms of the romantic elements.

• Jul 21, 2014

felt like an extended episode of HBO's 'Girls" which is ok by me cos i just love that show and liked this one

• Jun 01, 2014

I'm really surprised by the very high ratings here. I found the film a bit dull. As an editor myself, I didn't really think it was an accurate representation of the profession.

• Apr 07, 2014

I can appreciate a good indie film. Not entirely sure this one qualifies. The lead is either just annoying or a pretty interesting character. In the end, I thought it was more an observational story about relationships than anything. Nothing really to be learned other than gaining a glimpse into behavior. That's the strength of the movie - that it rings true. Things get complicated, people are less than honest, etc. No one is terribly bad, those things just happen. But in a movie with a slow, uninvolving story and nothing real eye-catching in how the movie is made, I guess my rating is a testament of how accurate I thought the writing to be.

• Nov 29, 2013

nice movie well written dialogues

nice movie well written dialogues

• Oct 19, 2013

They need to make more movies like this. This is another good example that goes to show that you don't need a huge hollywood budget to make good movies.

• Aug 28, 2013

What a great film! I think that Alex Karpovsky has a huge career ahead of him, and he is kicking it off with some really great indie movies. I had just seen Red Flag, and this movie was even better. If you have not seen Red Flag, it is worth seeing as the story and theme are similar to this movie. The storytelling in this movie is well done and the humor is interjected in a way that makes this story flow and keep you really involved in each of the characters. This is a great movie to watch with your significant other, as it has enough humor and drama and moves along fast enough to make sure everyone will have a great time!