The Sure Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sure Thing Reviews

November 24, 2016
Funny yet profound, TST documents that first year in college, when you're still a kid but expected to make big decisions. Though completely predictable, the leads, Daphne Zuniga and John Cusak, are so believable and genuine that you want to see the game play out...
October 11, 2016
Much like Alison's feelings for Gib, the movie for me started out a little irritating, but I warmed to it as it went along. John Cusack looks so young here (just a year after his small role in Sixteen Candles), but he is great in this role. You can see where it's going but the journey is still fun. There are some laughs throughout. I wish the ending had been handled a little better: it is a bit too abrupt for me. This one is not quite at the level of some of the best '80s comedies, but it's solid.
½ August 18, 2016
It Is Interesting To See Young Actors, With Their Crafted Not Yet Honed, Stumble Along, Attempting Differing Music Montages & Comic Scene Schmaltz & Cliche. I Give It Credit For Being A First Or Near-First Appearance For Director & Actors..But It's Not A Stand-Out. The Road Trip Becomes Boring & The Inevitable Ending An Exhausting Finish. You Will Be Shouting At The Screen "Come On!!? Seriously??" & Cringing In Pity To Terrible 80's College Flix...Of a Which Unfortunately This Is...
June 14, 2016
Sex craved college student travels to California for a "sure thing " and he picks up a travel companion whose also a college student. She's a brainiac who despises him but guess what they fall in love, ahhhhh.
September 22, 2015
Funny and charming with a snappy pace that makes you forget the routine and predictable story
September 12, 2015
The only sure thing in 80s teen films was John Hughes, as this demonstrates. There is no unattached college guy in any era that would pass up Nicolette on the hope or possibility the girl in class dumps her boyfriend for you at some point in the future. Cusack and Zuniga are equally annoying.
June 28, 2015
A pedantic John Cusack talks fast and thinks slow in this timid teen flick from Rob Reiner. The film follows an age-old inevitable-romance formula, but offers bags of 80s charm and an oddly quiet, restrained style for a mishap road movie.
Sprightly Cusack plays as if he belongs in a different, more upbeat film, but he is occasionally funny. It's just a shame we've seen The Sure Thing's formula spruced up so many times since, that Reiner's film now feels flat and outdated. Especially with its sentimental tone and sporadic laughs. Mediocre teen eighties-ness.
May 25, 2015
Gib: How would you like to have a sexual encounter so intense it could conceivably change your political views?

One of the best comedies ever...
½ February 4, 2015
A fun, engrossing 80s movie. I loved it!
December 8, 2014
Not great, but enjoyable enough. What keeps it from being great is that Cusack is over-directed, and the script is kinda overwritten. But, the heart of the film shines through. It's genuinely touching enough to be memorable, and the laughs comes from enough unexpected places that you feel like you've seen something interesting.
½ October 13, 2014
A real likeable film.....not earth shaking but light comedic love story coming of age films in the 80s were Cusack specialty.
½ August 5, 2014
The first half of this film has some serious pacing issues. Thankfully I stuck it out because it did get better. Although it is loaded with cliches, the chemistry between the leads save it from disaster. It's an oldie, but does have some entertainment value.
½ July 21, 2014
Regardless of it's obvious outcome, The way the events are organized and the characters make the trip t,o a sure happy ending, super enjoyable :)
June 14, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. Because I'm the kind of guy who likes to live on the edge.
April 29, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies from the 80's!
December 8, 2013
Wonderful, witty Xmas Rom Com. Saw it as a kid and have never forgotten it.
November 20, 2013
Traditional (an often told story in the films starting from the 30s) but enjoyable romantic comedy drama, with an excellent turn form Cusack.
½ November 5, 2013
Has a kind of goofy charm but there isn't much insight into romantic relationships or what makes two people click, despite that being the overt theme. Matthew Broderick got to play those super smart but cool nerds like Ferris Bueller and David Lightman in the 1980s but John Cusack seemed to play characters who followed his heart, not his head. That kind of romanticism earns the endorsement of this film in which his character falls for a classmate he'll do anything to win.