The Sure Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sure Thing Reviews

June 14, 2016
Sex craved college student travels to California for a "sure thing " and he picks up a travel companion whose also a college student. She's a brainiac who despises him but guess what they fall in love, ahhhhh.
September 22, 2015
Funny and charming with a snappy pace that makes you forget the routine and predictable story
September 12, 2015
The only sure thing in 80s teen films was John Hughes, as this demonstrates. There is no unattached college guy in any era that would pass up Nicolette on the hope or possibility the girl in class dumps her boyfriend for you at some point in the future. Cusack and Zuniga are equally annoying.
June 28, 2015
A pedantic John Cusack talks fast and thinks slow in this timid teen flick from Rob Reiner. The film follows an age-old inevitable-romance formula, but offers bags of 80s charm and an oddly quiet, restrained style for a mishap road movie.
Sprightly Cusack plays as if he belongs in a different, more upbeat film, but he is occasionally funny. It's just a shame we've seen The Sure Thing's formula spruced up so many times since, that Reiner's film now feels flat and outdated. Especially with its sentimental tone and sporadic laughs. Mediocre teen eighties-ness.
May 25, 2015
Gib: How would you like to have a sexual encounter so intense it could conceivably change your political views?

One of the best comedies ever...
½ February 4, 2015
A fun, engrossing 80s movie. I loved it!
December 8, 2014
Not great, but enjoyable enough. What keeps it from being great is that Cusack is over-directed, and the script is kinda overwritten. But, the heart of the film shines through. It's genuinely touching enough to be memorable, and the laughs comes from enough unexpected places that you feel like you've seen something interesting.
½ October 13, 2014
A real likeable film.....not earth shaking but light comedic love story coming of age films in the 80s were Cusack specialty.
½ August 5, 2014
The first half of this film has some serious pacing issues. Thankfully I stuck it out because it did get better. Although it is loaded with cliches, the chemistry between the leads save it from disaster. It's an oldie, but does have some entertainment value.
½ July 21, 2014
Regardless of it's obvious outcome, The way the events are organized and the characters make the trip t,o a sure happy ending, super enjoyable :)
June 14, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. Because I'm the kind of guy who likes to live on the edge.
April 29, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies from the 80's!
December 8, 2013
Wonderful, witty Xmas Rom Com. Saw it as a kid and have never forgotten it.
November 20, 2013
Traditional (an often told story in the films starting from the 30s) but enjoyable romantic comedy drama, with an excellent turn form Cusack.
½ November 5, 2013
Has a kind of goofy charm but there isn't much insight into romantic relationships or what makes two people click, despite that being the overt theme. Matthew Broderick got to play those super smart but cool nerds like Ferris Bueller and David Lightman in the 1980s but John Cusack seemed to play characters who followed his heart, not his head. That kind of romanticism earns the endorsement of this film in which his character falls for a classmate he'll do anything to win.
½ October 14, 2013
John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga play university students who take a whole movie to realize they are meant for each other. The movie-going public are aware of it from the moment we see them, but these two think they despise each other. A fun 90 minutes!
June 16, 2013
One of the better John Cusack roles. He is so funny in this. Yeah, it is one of those films were you know how it will end when the party guy that needs to settle down goes on a road trip with the prude who needs to loosen up. But like I said, Cusack is so good and has amazing chemistry with Zuniga.

Nicolette Sheridan, aka the Sure Thing, is pretty much used to show some skin. I believe she's in a bikini almost every scene. She was super cute back then...pre-plastic surgery.

Also a great soundtrack as well.

Tim Robbins has a smaller role, but maybe the best part in the film.
½ May 16, 2013
Oldie but goodie! Cusak and Zuniga are part of what made the 80's fun as they did in this well written film.
April 27, 2013
I barely remember this. Daphne Zuniga was an exciting actor who completely dropped off the radar.