Surfer, Dude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surfer, Dude Reviews

September 8, 2016
I'm a surfer myself and this shit is relatable as fuck.
April 17, 2016
Probably one of the most underrated films of all time.

ALL TIME! 6 bags of popcorn out of 6!
½ January 30, 2016
A bit goofy in parts, with uneven acting performances, but in general a good movie with a great soundtrack and cinematography.
October 12, 2015
The most under rated movie out there. Also one of my favorites.
September 15, 2015
McConaughy puts on the performance of a lifetime. A must see
June 21, 2015
An incomprehensible mess of epic proportions; a movie about the most strange and inane plots and subplots all somehow tying into one another, all made so much sweeter by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson's confusingly-good performances. Matthew McConaughey is shirtless for over 90% of this movie and that is only one small aspect of why this film is such a disastrous masterpiece.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This movie aren't quite a comedy in my opinion, more like a lighthearted drama almost with a smile here and there. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson starris in this one and they both fits perfect in their roles. The story was not much to talk about but decent. Overall i think its watchable but there alot better movies out there.
½ June 22, 2014
This is one of those movies that, in about say ten years or so, will be loved and hailed as genius by the same cult fan boys that don't currently understand it. Much like its star Matthew McConaughey, the meta genius that is Surfer, Dude will be vindicated by time.
April 22, 2014
This film bravely and poignantly explores the metaphysical dilemma of reality and the consequential existential crisis of identity that ensues when this dilemma is addressed by an individual. We are guided on this path of discovery by the story of our protagonist hero, Steve Addington. We follow Add-man on a journey of philosophical realization as his perception of reality and thus the notion his own identity is challenged by a series of worldly trials and tribulations that are set upon him by The Man, Eddie Zarno, who does not cease in totally harshing everyone's mellow for a harrowing 83 minutes. Upon arriving back home to Cali from a surf around the world, Add-man is informed that his old sponsors have been bought out by one Eddie Zarno, and as such Addington is obligated to participate in Zarno's reality show and accompanying virtual reality video game, 'Real Surfer.' While all the rest of Zarno's surfers participate in Real Surfer sans personal moral dilemma, Add-man is just totally buggin. It is at this point that we the audience understand Addington's crisis and are compelled to question reality as well. Real Surfer, both the show and the game, represent 'reality' as we exist in it, and the other surfers' treatment thereof exemplifies how the vast majority of people in this world accept 'reality' as it is presented to them. Is this dimension in which we exist, which we have come to recognize as 'reality,' merely Plato's cave in which we are chained? Could it be that 'reality' is just a word for the culmination of parameters that blind and bind us, arbitrarily put in place by the Powers That Be? Now that we have recognized this existential dilemma, we must also consider the meaning, or lack thereof, of identity. If reality is but a synthesized dimension of existence in which we plod along then the notion of personal identity is null and void. If reality is The Truth as The Man wants us to understand it, then our identities are merely a compilation of others' purposefully misguided perceptions. For as reality exists only in the capacity at which one perceives it, the notion of one's identity is thusly conceived by the sum of external perceptions rather than internalized conclusions. While this series of realizations could understandably send one into a nihilistic tailspin of despair, it is also, alternatively, freeing. If reality and identity are understood to be meaningless external perceptions, then we are free to exist as the purest versions of ourselves, exempli gratia Steve Addington...he's a Surfer, dude
½ April 7, 2014
"Well I just want you to know, dude, you just harshed my morning mellow."-Jack Mayweather (Woody Herrelson)

Bro, like why don't any of this suits like this movie, dude?

"I surf, and I'm a surfer, out theeeere."-Steve Addington (Matthew McConaughey)
March 26, 2014
Do not expect anything like an episode of True Detective. This movie has an extremely weak script. Matthew McConaughey and the rest of the cast are wasted with this weak material. Definitely avoid this movie.
February 25, 2014
Dude, its great....

seriously a 0%??? making me question you rotten tomatoes
February 9, 2014
This was a great movie. I fee like it is completely under appreciated. Is it super well produced? No, it wasn't meant to be. It is what it is.

The soundtrack is amazing, and the main character is great. Matthew McConaughey does a great job of creating this guy who has no attachment to society as we know it, but is able to maintain positive spirits otherwise. He's not an addict who is flagrantly promoting drug use, but an idealization of what people think of as a "soul surfer." I think this is a great movie based on the interactions between the characters, and the natural suaveness of McConaughey's character, despite his apparent obliviousness to this effect that he has on everyone around him. It's a supremely positive movie with a positive message. Live with less, love more, and do what you want to do without looking back to see who you pissed off.
½ January 14, 2014
People inside-out related to this film looked all stoned. Let's do the bongos with McConaughey!
January 6, 2014
One Big Long Lame Music Video. Some Cliche Surf Shots & Characters..That's It.
December 26, 2013
Fantastic movie. extraordinarily chill
½ December 19, 2013
Could be the worst film Matthew McConaughey has ever done.
October 26, 2013
I watched it and regretted.
October 9, 2013
Funny non-sense. Another waist of time. Not a must see for sure. But hey, got to see Willie Nelson old beard rambling around.
September 25, 2013
Matthew McConaughey with his shirt off is always worth seeing. Alas the rest of the surfing cliches are easily upstaged by the goats that deserve Oscars for their outstanding effort in saving this movie. The goats were also better looking than the dudettes, so maybe a Miss America crown for them too. Nibbles: Pineapple and Cheese Sticks.