Surviving Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surviving Christmas Reviews

½ December 31, 2015
Not even Christina Applegate can save this hideous trash of a movie
December 24, 2015
I don't know why all the hate, but this movie has yuletide glee to spare.
½ December 23, 2015
This is a very funny Christmas movie about a guy who returns to his family home and pays the unamused owners to give him a good old fashioned family Christmas. Featuring solid performances and full of many fun scenes and one liners, this Christmas movie is a welcome addition to the festive season.
½ December 23, 2015
Yes, in the end, the characters learn a valuable lesson (the shallow, anti-consumerist kind, typical of most Christmas movies), but until then, they are obnoxious sitcom cut-outs whom we must endure for an hour and a half.
December 5, 2015
Christmas movies with actors that you've actually heard of are usually the better ones - The Holiday, Love Actually, Jack Frost - but that just wasn't really the case with this one. I just didn't understand Ben Affleck's character. The humour in the movie wasn't really that funny. This could have been a good movie if you actually felt for the characters, which I didn't.
½ August 6, 2015
It's the viewer that needs surviving after watching this stinker
½ June 2, 2015
And one of the worst, most obnoxious, awful, egregious, HORRENDOUS performances goes to.....Ben Affleck!
½ April 21, 2015
I saw it for a laugh. Sadly, it did not provide even the slightest of chuckles. It was just...boring. I get what the point of it was, but it didn't even come close to delivering the message intended.
February 11, 2015
solid Christmas movie
½ January 11, 2015
Really deserves better than what it got. While not the best film out there, it also is a welcome addition to the Christmas genre after so many worse ones.
½ January 3, 2015
bad story, bad acting, bad directing,
December 25, 2014
Underrated. Far from perfect but a really good, enjoyable movie nonetheless. Great chemistry between Applegate and Affleck, Affleck like you'll never see him again, he's enjoyable, but as he's far down the "Serious, Serious" road now, you'll not see him anywhere near this funny and goofy again.
Fantastic supporting cast, Gandolfini is so good as the gruff Dad, O'Hara so perfect as the Mom and to Gandolfini's Dad, Macy as the granddad, and others, can't imagine a better cast. Really good lines peppered throughout, overlook the odd bit here and there and just an enjoyable hour and a half.
Clearly there was some struggle during production to get this made, makes you wonder what it could have been, but also clearly why a good cast is so important, and what a great cast can do to save a movie even to the point of making it an enjoyable 90 minutes.
½ December 23, 2014
Not great, but pleasant enough for this time of year.
½ December 19, 2014
this is now one of my favorite Christmas classics...
½ December 17, 2014
Even for a xmas movie, this is pretty poor. Ben Affleck is really hammy in this, but I guess it's not really his fault as the script is just unbelievable (and not in a good way!). Who would seriously believe that a yuppie guy with a beautiful apartment would pay some random family to pretend to be his over xmas because they happen to live in the house he grew up in? And along the way he falls in love with his pretend "sister" who hates his guts (Christina Applegate - main reason I even bothered).
It has a few small moments that are mildly amusing, but far and few between. I guess the xmas lights in it are pretty. Lol. What else can you say about it...
December 15, 2014
A strange plot which wasn't believable.
½ December 14, 2014
This is another one of those Christmas films that probably only holds it's rating due to nostalgic values and Christmas setting.
December 13, 2014
This movie made me laugh for the entire movie and no I am not uneducated, I just love movies that make me laugh instead of recoiling in horror at all the blood and guts.
December 11, 2014
I walked out on this movie when a few friends brought me with them to see it. it is garbage.
½ December 10, 2014
I enjoy this movie every year ; "you were in Pippen in high school; you played Wind" and " I think your mom's starting to like your grandfather hitting on her. here's a sentence you don't often hear on Christmas Eve."