Surviving Georgia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surviving Georgia Reviews

March 22, 2014
Sometimes witty banter, but mostly formulaic or contrived in general. Harmless rather than annoying though.
April 26, 2013
Ho Hum.....usually like aussie films but this one was a tad slow. May appeal to a younger audience and that's not to say that I''m an older audience!
March 22, 2013
Starts off with potential, but devolves into an aimless family drama. The sisters and glassworks/scenery are pleasant enough, but there were moments it felt as slow as a daytime soap.
½ March 21, 2013
Dysfunctional female role model in the home scene... but i'm glad the daughters turned out much better in the end :) The hole-in-the-heart scenes were best, in my opinion.
June 17, 2012
I only watched this movie because my girl Holly Valance is in it... Too bad all her movies suck, hahah. It did give me hope though. If a fat guy like the cop in the movie can get her, maybe a fat guy like me has a chance too!
June 15, 2012
Very slight story about two sisters and their free spirit mother who left them when they were teens and now wants to be part of their lives again.
I don't know if it was just me, but Georgia, the mother, looked like a man in drag. I kept expecting it to be a big reveal at the end! (except of course, she had two daughters!).
Holly Vallance and Pia Miranda are fine as the sisters.
Enjoyable enough use of an hour and a half, but I wasn't overly convinced and it had a few continuity problems as if scenes had been cut out and not accounted for.
January 17, 2012
A simple story that keeps moving nicely with likeable characters and sweet moments. All flawed but good human beings who make errors that dont cost dear to lead to the inevitable end where everyone makes up.
November 11, 2011
A thoroughly unfortunate romantic comedy which manages to succeed at neither genre. The film's essential problem is the script, which starts off well enough with an interesting premise about two close sisters and their mother, who is the apple of their eye, and most male eyes in their rural community also. Neither sister has any idea who their true father is, but are for the most part unfazed, and lead a seemingly carefree life regardless. Until one day their mother, under implicit financial strain suddenly vanishes from their lives, leaving them to fend for themselves.
The film then cuts to the present day, and we meet the two girls again, now fully-grown and in their early thirties, but neither appears to have made much of a fist of their life - one living in a rooming house with her rebellious son, the other working a factory job. They are both brought back to the country town of their youth on what quickly emerges to be a ruse, and are forced to face the events surrounding their mother's disappearance.
While the premise to this point has our interest, from herein the film rapidly descends into tedium. It's not helped by curiously wooden performances from both Miranda and Valance, the latter of whom seems to mumble most of her lines through the film's first half as if she's under sedation. You can't help but feel by the end of the film that this is a product of both actors being scripted very little to work with, with their characters developing along insufferably trite and facile dimensions, mouthing lines that wouldn't be out of place in a Home and Away script.
The plot's set-pieces are bland and un-momentous, and are invested with little emotional build-up or consequence. Barely half-way into the film we have stopped even remotely caring what happens to the characters, which is just as well, as the development of each is as predictable as it is unremarkable. And that attitude appears to have afflicted the actors themselves.
Miranda occasionally drags her character out of the mire to shine in a couple of scenes, such as that where she visits her supposedly dead mother for the first time, but Vallance is just woeful throughout. Her love interest set-up, which occupies the majority of the character's development is so poorly managed, that when the couple finally kiss, you can almost watch her squirm with embarrassment. Possibly one of the least romantic denouements in the history of Australian cinema. Caroline O'Connor as the titular Georgia epitomises the film in that she sets the character up very well in the early scenes, but offers barely a whimper within the constraints of the tawdry and incredulous dialogue she's fed for the remainder of the film.
The film's main redeeming feature is its cinematography. The country town and its scenic backdrop are consistently and beautifully shot and framed. It's just a pity all this is ruined every time an actor walks into the frame.
October 16, 2011