Surviving Picasso - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surviving Picasso Reviews

July 26, 2015
I got a bit lost with all the wives and mistresses he had. Otherwise a good film.
December 19, 2014
A very odd film, but what not to expect from Pablo Picasso? I never knew anything about him besides some of his work, so as a viewer I'd have to say I didn't like his lifestyle of being so polygamous with women. Everyone did well in the acting part, saying both Francoise and Picasso did excellent. I had a few moments laughing at Anthony Hopkins because I know him for strict serious roles. Natascha played a very strong woman, when really made me think about my own life a bit if I were in Francoise's shoes. I myself am an artist, so looking at the lifestyle of then and now really differ but then again have a lot of similarities. I have to say I was not at all satisfied with the ending, because I wanted to see what else happened to Francoise, and just wanting to see if Picasso would treat her like the rest of the women. Of course I saw some passion in his eyes still, which led me on and didn't expect the credits to roll at that point, thinking there was or had to be more leaving me at the end of the credits' black screen. I will say it was a good biography if hoping the story is a true one, and if so I feel bad for the two's children. I would have liked to see where they went off to as well, but I guess that's up to me to read on about Picasso and Francoise on my own. I thought this movie was just alright, it didn't have a huge impact to my interests though the actors and actresses were all portrayed very well. It was interesting hearing Julianne speak in an accent as well. I would recommend this to people who are interested in Picasso, but someone who wouldn't be might not enjoy this so much.
April 23, 2013
An ultimately dry film, James Ivory's biopic of Picasso's premiere mistress does have good performances, even if Hopkins never fully transforms into the legendary painter, some moments of humour, usually Picasso's comments & observations about others, and even some inventive flashback sequences that take on Picasso-esque aesthetics, but the script never really explores why these women are drawn to and stay with Picasso, despite his duplicitous nature, and furthermore, Picasso's art never gets much attention nor examination, missing a great opportunity for parallels and psychological exploration.
½ April 6, 2013
Horrible movie.. Nothing like the real man & his very English accent Didnt help out either when are they going to add real authenticity like say maybe using a Spanish actor to play a Spanish lead that might be somewhat innovative don't you think Hollywood it's about time they stop overlooking us and give Latinos their just due!!!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Hopkins & Moore reunited.
April 22, 2012
I wonder if this one is good? Must be with Anthony Hopkins in it.
January 13, 2012
The best Anthony Hopkins.
December 31, 2011
This movie isn't even about Picasso. It would have been nice to see Hopkins tackle an actual biopic, but this is a bastardized and misplaced attempt at an inaccurate romantic drama.

Instead of watching a movie about Picasso and his evolution as an artist, we instead follow the life story of a coat-tail riding girlfriend. It is boring, tedious, unbearably overlong, and just focuses on the most unnecessary and trivial things in an extremely interesting and inspirational life.

Surprisingly, the acting is a major flaw. Hopkins does not exude the ere of Picasso, who while confident and sometimes boisterous, was often introverted and very sensitive. McElhone is ok, but for some reason, she instead of Hopkins is counted on to carry the film, and her act wears pretty thin in a 2 hour plus movie.

The direction is wandering, aimless and focus-less, which given the plot, fits right in. (That was not a complement). The script is heavy, and bogs down the already questionable interplay between the actors. I did enjoy a few things, particularly the interplay between Picasso and his friend/rival Henri Matesse, which was one of the few accurate points in the story.

Above all the acting/script/direction problems is the story. I can overlook some of the above weaknesses if I'm given an entertaining plot. But this is dry, self-important, going nowhere dribble. There is little to no time spent on Picasso as far as his artistic development, genius or inspiration. There is little to no time spent on Picasso as an artist at all. Picasso the ARTIST is where a Picasso movie becomes worthwhile, not Picasso the womanizing douche.
December 6, 2011

March 5, 2011
This movie isn't even about Picasso. It would have been nice to see Hopkins tackle an actual biopic, but this is a basterdized and misplaced attempt at an inaccurate romantic drama. Instead of watching a movie about Picasso and his evolution as an artist, we instead follow the lifestory of a coat riding girlfriend. It is boring, tedious, unbearably overlong, and just focuses on the most unneccisary and trivial things in an extremely interesting and inspirational life. Suprisingly, the acting is a major flaw. Hopkins does not exhude the ere of Picasso, who while confident and sometimes boisterous, was often introverted and very sensitive. McElhone is ok, but for some reason, she instead of Hopkins is counted on to carry the film, and her act wears pretty thin in a 2 hour plus movie. The direction is wandering, aimless and focusless, which given the plot, fits right in. (That was not a complement). The script is heavy, and bogs down the already questionable interplay between the actors. I did enjoy a few things, particularly the interplay between Picasso and his friend/rival Henri Matesse, which was one of the few accurate points in the story. Above all the acting/script/direction problems is the story. I can overlook some of the above weaknesses if I'm given an entertaining plot. But this is dry, self-important, going nowhere dribble. There is little to no time spent on Picasso as far as his artistic development, genius or inspiration. There is little to no time spent on Picasso as an artist at all. Picasso the ARTIST is where a Picasso movie becomes worthwhile, not Picasso the womanizing deuche.
August 13, 2010
Great actors in a weak film that neither works as a romance nor a biography.
September 26, 2009
Anthony on todella hyvä Pablona ja itse elokuva avaa hyvin Pablon erikoista persoonaa ja elämää.
June 21, 2009
Quite an intense movie about the great Picasso...though was more about his relationships and the emotional slaves he made of women..quite strange how women continually got entangled though
June 9, 2009
Hyviä roolisuorituksia, mutta muuten aika keskivertoelokuva. Picasson taidetta olisi voinut näkyä enemmän elokuvassa - vaikka se keskittyykin selvästi Picasson ihmissuhteisiin. Vai pitäisikö sanoa ennemminkin tyranniaan..
½ May 27, 2009
not bad! a little boring!
May 24, 2009
Beautifully-shot, terrifically-staged succession of scenes where people take breaks from being awful to one another to make art, proving that Anthony Hopkins can play a self-involved lout just as well as he can a cannibalistic serial killer. The film raises a sort of interesting question--how much does the way in which we view an artist, and their personality defects, impact the way we view their art? Then again, there are other, better movies that raise the same questions in a more compelling way.
½ May 3, 2009
James Ivory

I liked to wacth it . Interesting story and good cast. Jack Nickholson playing
½ April 14, 2009
Director James Ivory and Producer Ismail Merchant are world renowned for their rich and beautiful costume dramas such as A Room With A View (1985), Howard's End (1992) and The Remains of the Day (1993), here they took on the life of the most famous painters of the 20th Century, it was based on a controversial biography by Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington, and there is the sense Merchant Ivory have over-reached with this one. The film focuses on a particular period in the life of Pablo Picasso (Anthony Hopkins). In 1943, at the age of 61, he met young aspiring artist Françoise Gilot (Natascha McElhone), and for the next decade and a bit, they had a relationship, they had two children together, and she was his muse for his ever-changing works of art, but Picasso has more than one woman in his life during their relationship, including Dora Maar (Julianne Moore) and Marie-Thérèse (Susannah Harker). Picasso was always an enigma wrapped in a conundrum, his relationship with women was strained, and he was an eccentric egomaniac. Even focusing on this short period in his life, it still doesn't scratch the surface of what made him tick. But, the film doesn't focus on his art as much as his relationships, and therein lies the problem. But, it's got good performances, and it looks absolutely beautiful, but it lacks substance and order.