Surviving Progress Reviews

March 17, 2013
A very good reminder of the problem we're all part of but are unwilling to collaborate in because of our collective fear
Nevertheless it's a very good documentary, although the issues being spoken about are no longer revealing. What the World needs NOW are pragmatic solutions that can be applied to respond to the planet's and Human Race demands, not just well structured phrases of what should be done but not [how] it should be done.
½ October 13, 2014
This film is a mixed bag, part documentary and part diatribe and part social critique with real bite. There are three or four interview subjects who deliver some incisive commentary on history and contemporary civilization. But there's a kind of redundant quality and a self-important air to much of what remains. The production values are very good, with a few especially powerful scenes that make a point with that "picture is worth a thousand words" effect. There are also some questionable claims here and there, such as the statement that it wasn't until around 1980 that humans started squandering "natural capital" instead of just using the "interest". One of the key motivations for striking out into the New World was the search for resources after European power nations had leveled most of the continent's forests and overfished to the point of exhausting fish stocks, etc. So someone doesn't know their history. But anyway, there's a thought-provoking quality to enough of this film to recommend it.
December 30, 2013
Tremendo documental con perspectiva sociológica.
½ December 16, 2013
You might want to take some Prozac before you see this movie, but do see it.
November 3, 2013
Excellent presentation of the concept of how progress may be our undoing. For a further exploration of Ronald Wright's "A Short History of Progress", upon which this film is based, look up CBC's audio series of that name, presented on the show "Ideas". This film is essential viewing for parents and their children, and for anyone with an open mind.
½ September 15, 2013
I would describe it as a fairly coherent summury of the recent emerging feelings about the state our (modern) society.
½ September 2, 2013
It was a very thought provoking movie. I've found from reading a number a reviews that some were expecting more answers or rather a more conclusive direction. I think that it's nice to get a movie that leaves opened ended issues to more subjective interpretation. Sure it's guided, but not forced.
August 12, 2013
I tried to finish this movie but simply couldn't bring myself to. This guy is an idiot he and his friends clearly know very little about what there talking about since many of the things he said we simply not true. Furthermore he seems to be trying to distract the viewer from this obvious conclusion by constantly switching to random clips of irrelevant crap if he had just sat there and spewed out his ignorance all in one go than at least i wouldn't have had to waste so much time waiting for the movie to improve.
June 4, 2013
Very informative. My favorite was the second half of the film, dealing with The Congo and the Amazon/Brazil. Every school should show this somehow.
½ March 20, 2013
Another Apocalypse Pretty Soon doco. It's been the end of the world for too damn long. Enough already with the doom patrol. There are a segment of boomers and Gen xers who are addicted to doom. Many are in this film.
February 9, 2013
the part where says overpopulation is real is a lie. that's not true look it up there is no overpopulation crisis.i stopped watching when he said that. the truth is that our resources are not being used near efficiently enough, we are using oil when there is no reason other than rich getting richer that we can not move 100% of the worlds energy needs to 100% renewable sources. inefficiency like this is why overpopulation seems plausible. as of now not 1 person on planet earth has to starve,there is more than enough food to go around, the problem is that it isn't being passed around.
December 19, 2012
Another documentary in the spirit of "An Inconvenient Truth" & "Collapse" that is very good and giving us very bad news.
November 21, 2012
One of the best and most sobering documentaries of 2012.
November 12, 2012
Only watch if you're feeling strong enough to face the truth. It's a toss up whether we are about to destroy the planet or just human civilisation. The truth about money, banks, and the way that greed is destroying us. Powerfully put, painful to watch.
½ November 8, 2012
A poignant question that deserves a closer look. This documentary would do better as a series as it gets spread a little too thin by its conclusion. It is a solid theory of "Progress Trap" from a macro vantage, but as it dials in the vision gets lost in individual rhetoric.
November 3, 2012
This is an extraordinarily well thought out documentary that should be viewed by everybody over the age of 14. Probably at least once a year. Maybe then we'd have a better chance of understanding ourselves and then righting our course.
½ October 9, 2012
It's all about being told what you think about in the shower but can't talk about while busy dirtying yourself.
October 5, 2012
interesting This movie explains a lot of things tho it really doesn't tell you how to "survive progress" It was very interesting nevertheless
July 11, 2012
Sve je tu. Obavezno pogledati.
June 24, 2012
One of the most important movies you have to watch!