Surviving Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surviving Progress Reviews

½ October 13, 2014
This film is a mixed bag, part documentary and part diatribe and part social critique with real bite. There are three or four interview subjects who deliver some incisive commentary on history and contemporary civilization. But there's a kind of redundant quality and a self-important air to much of what remains. The production values are very good, with a few especially powerful scenes that make a point with that "picture is worth a thousand words" effect. There are also some questionable claims here and there, such as the statement that it wasn't until around 1980 that humans started squandering "natural capital" instead of just using the "interest". One of the key motivations for striking out into the New World was the search for resources after European power nations had leveled most of the continent's forests and overfished to the point of exhausting fish stocks, etc. So someone doesn't know their history. But anyway, there's a thought-provoking quality to enough of this film to recommend it.
March 17, 2013
A very good reminder of the problem we're all part of but are unwilling to collaborate in because of our collective fear
Nevertheless it's a very good documentary, although the issues being spoken about are no longer revealing. What the World needs NOW are pragmatic solutions that can be applied to respond to the planet's and Human Race demands, not just well structured phrases of what should be done but not [how] it should be done.
December 19, 2012
Another documentary in the spirit of "An Inconvenient Truth" & "Collapse" that is very good and giving us very bad news.
April 26, 2012
Watch this movie. Change your life.
Surviving Progress presents an essential summary of humanity's modern trajectory toward outstripping our resources. It also refutes the common myth that more technology will somehow save the human race. The documentary doesn't package the ending with a nice bow. It pulls no punches describing the complexity of problems we've created in the last 150 years and It leaves you without any easy answers -- because there are none.
½ October 13, 2014
July 28, 2014
Intereresting ideas not quite fleshed out.
½ May 18, 2012
Very thought provoking. Recommended.
December 30, 2013
Tremendo documental con perspectiva sociológica.
½ December 16, 2013
You might want to take some Prozac before you see this movie, but do see it.
November 29, 2013
good and worrying documentary
April 24, 2013
Le film de MATHIEU ROY et HAROLD CROOKS sonne l'alarme d'une humanité qui répète les erreurs du passé.... Ce documentaire montre avec intelligence l'échec des oligarchies, du matérialisme, de l'économie à tout prix et de l'incapacité qu'a l'humain à se projeter dans l'avenir. Le tout sans jamais sombrer dans le sensationnalisme. Un film important.... À voir.... Et revoir.
November 3, 2013
Excellent presentation of the concept of how progress may be our undoing. For a further exploration of Ronald Wright's "A Short History of Progress", upon which this film is based, look up CBC's audio series of that name, presented on the show "Ideas". This film is essential viewing for parents and their children, and for anyone with an open mind.
½ September 15, 2013
I would describe it as a fairly coherent summury of the recent emerging feelings about the state our (modern) society.
September 11, 2013
"Food for thought presented in a smart, admirably unsentimentalized and largely unmanipulative manner."
½ September 2, 2013
It was a very thought provoking movie. I've found from reading a number a reviews that some were expecting more answers or rather a more conclusive direction. I think that it's nice to get a movie that leaves opened ended issues to more subjective interpretation. Sure it's guided, but not forced.
August 12, 2013
I tried to finish this movie but simply couldn't bring myself to. This guy is an idiot he and his friends clearly know very little about what there talking about since many of the things he said we simply not true. Furthermore he seems to be trying to distract the viewer from this obvious conclusion by constantly switching to random clips of irrelevant crap if he had just sat there and spewed out his ignorance all in one go than at least i wouldn't have had to waste so much time waiting for the movie to improve.
July 5, 2013
J'ai bien aimé; bon complément au livre A short history of progress. Un film qui pousse à la réflexion sur l'humanité.
June 4, 2013
Very informative. My favorite was the second half of the film, dealing with The Congo and the Amazon/Brazil. Every school should show this somehow.
March 5, 2013
There were some interesting points in this, but overall it is more of the same thing we have all heard before.
½ March 20, 2013
Another Apocalypse Pretty Soon doco. It's been the end of the world for too damn long. Enough already with the doom patrol. There are a segment of boomers and Gen xers who are addicted to doom. Many are in this film.