Surviving the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surviving the Game Reviews

July 28, 2012
great classic movie, I only wish one day there would be a sequel!
July 27, 2012
First and foremost, before i go too deep into analyzing this thing, who the hell saw a screening of Ice-T acting and decided; "Yep, that guy can act?". Even more dumbfounding is that before his absolutely awful performance here Ice-T had acted in no less than 10 movies, and they STILL let him in front of a camera. Man must have had some serious power and influence from his rapping career.

So there you have it, if you can't find some sort of sick enjoyment out of watching a man make an amateur of himself onscreen for an hour and a half then theres not much else here to enjoy. Well, apart from some notably excellent actors cheese it up with one another onscreen for the same amount of time.

If you took the original Predator film and took out the alien creature, the film's stylish direction, the palpable male bravado and just about everything else thats good about the Predator movie you'd probably have something close to resembling Surviving The Game. From the opening shots it's relatively easy to know what the movie's subject matter pertains to; even if you hadn't known anything about the film beforehand.

An incredibly bad performance from a poor actor and the wonderfully cheesy performances from good actors are the only things keeping this one from infamy and the only thing keeping you awake.
July 24, 2012
While it's no cinematic masterpiece, this is an entertaining action film that did just that...entertain.
July 6, 2012
Great 1994 movie! Ice-T did an excellent job along John McGinley, Charles Dutton, Gary Busey and Rutger Hauer! I love it when the hunter becomes the hunted!
June 11, 2012
A harmless movie, it's not the worst ever made, but then it's not a great one either. Rich people hire a guy who doesn't know that they will be hunting him.
½ June 1, 2012
The 1924 story "The Most Dangerous Game" has been the inspiration for a lot of modern and very violent films, and "Surviving the Game" is one of the better ones. It's a gritty, exciting and beautifully shot film by director Ernest Dickerson, who shows a real flair here. He really should have had a better career.

The action sequences are well directed, and it's an easy film to get behind. Ice T isn't much of an actor, but he does make for a very sympathetic lead character here. He's a man of few words, which is probably for the better, but you root for him nevertheless. The film is cast with a vast array of great bad guys, and only Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham feels out of place. Rutger Hauer plays a villain like nobody else can. He's made a career out of it, but here he is curiously subdued.

In fact, the best performance in the film comes from a whacked out Gary Busey. His dinner scene story about how he got his scar is an instant classic, and this is one of the most memorable roles of his entire career. Why the screenwriters thought it was in the film's best interest to kill him off first is beyond me. In fact, the entire dinner sequence is very entertaining. Just listen to every single demented line of dialogue. How can you not love it?

The ending, however, feels tacked on and not very well thought out. Having Ice T follow Hauer to the big city to settle their differences could have worked, but it feels like the writers got lazy. It's very anticlimactic, and ends the film with more of a whimper than a bang. For the most part, however, "Surviving the Game" is a lot of fun. It tells an oft told story with newfound style and energy, and a great cast that somewhat disappoints. It's a mixed bag but I can easily recommend it.
April 13, 2012
A guilty pleasure film which I am still captivated by. While Ice-T's Mason could have been played by anyone (I think someone like Matt Dillon could have done just as good, if not a better job), I have to give Ice-T credit. Rutger Hauer was excellent as the crazy psycho Burns as was the underrated Charles S. Dutton as Cole. I am still in shock that people would take homeless guys hunting and hunt them like they did in this film. In ways, this was Hostel before Hostel but in the wilderness. While the actors were prominent, the script was weak and it needed serious work. However, it was a solid action film worth seeing again.
April 9, 2012
I know someone I would like to take to an island and hunt like the pig she is.....
April 8, 2012
when I first saw this movie I had no idea it would turn out like it did.
Great movie
½ March 6, 2012
midly entertaining.

most of it was boring, but when they got to the hunting part, it was pretty good.
½ March 4, 2012
I am a Rutger Hauer fan, and try to see as many of his films as possible. Surviving the Game was released in 1994. It's action packed, and fun.
February 24, 2012
Amusing retelling of "The Most Dangerpus Game" (one of the better remakes) featuring my man (actually, he's not) Ice T as the homeless man chosen by rich white guys (and one black guy( as their latest game. It actually hums along nicely for the first 3/4, but then disasterously falls apart as script problems, continuity and bad acting come into play. Still watchable, but not without it's problems.
February 21, 2012
amazing and inspirational movie Ice T is a revelation..... only flaw is not enough Busey.
January 30, 2012
Ice T, Gary Busey, human death hunt? C'mon how can you not enjoy this movie? Obviously you can't go in with high expectations or you may be severely let down. It's one of those movies that is fun to catch late at night when you have no interest in any brain cell function. Just sit back and have some laughs.
January 20, 2012
A 90's action vehicle rehashing of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME starring ICE-T and GARY "THE GINGERDEAD MAN" BUSEY?...Now that's a remake for the ages!
December 29, 2011
TAUT STORY AND SCARY!
December 17, 2011
Ive seen this movie about 100 times. I'm not going to lie and tell you it's a good film, or even an original one. It's not. For me however it is a great rainy day movie.
½ December 4, 2011
I think they could've found a better actor besides ice-t. Like Ice cube for example
½ November 20, 2011
Good movie just didn't understand the end but I loved it I have the DVD and watch it on Netflix.
½ November 4, 2011
Started out good which is cool since Ice-T was still new to acting for the most part. This has decent action and violence, but kind of in a desperate way and the ending could have been a little more thought out.