Suzy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suzy Reviews

October 13, 2016
Suzy is an amazing film. It is about Suzy who flees to Paris where she meets and marries a WWI pilot. Cary Grant and Jean Harlow give incredible performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. George Fitzmaurice did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Suzy is a must see.
August 12, 2016
I greatly enjoyed this--the second of seven films from my 'Jean Harlow: The 100th Anniversary Collection' put out by Warner Archives, unfortunately not with anything in the way of DVD extras (except for a cool, unadvertised set of postcards), and only three of the films were remastered. So it was as if they were perhaps celebrating her, say, 99th birthday and not going all-out like they could and should have, since she DID single-handedly save the studio from bankruptcy three years prior.

I like the way filmmakers back then didn't care if a French actor was playing an Irish inventor and an English actor was portraying a French pilot. THESE days, there'd be sheer, unadulterated hell to pay.

It was a really strange mix of genres, to get absolutely everybody into the seats. I could just see the pitch at the board meeting now: '1914 period piece romantic-comedy mixed with wartime spy thriller and musical'. But Harlow knocked it out of the ballpark, just like she always did. Supertrooper right to the very end.
August 12, 2016

½ January 11, 2015
Only after I watched this film did I read that Dorothy Parker was one of the writers on this film and that Herman J. Mankiewicz did uncredited writing work on it. I may have paid closer attention to the dialogue if I had, but honestly, this WWI romantic spy film was pretty dull. Carey Grant is a pilot who fall in in love with Jean Harlow. The most exciting moments are the ariel battles, which were unused footage from Howard Hughes' "Hell's Angels." the other highlight is a canteen scene where Carey grant sings, which I'm not sure I ever saw before.
jjnxn
½ July 12, 2014
Jean & Cary make an odd team in this, one of Harlow's last films. It's an okay drama but Jean was always best in comedies.
July 11, 2014
Excellent acting and characters. The storyline was excellently written. The film didn't drag at all.
January 15, 2013
One of Jean Harlow's last pictures, this romantic comedy-melodrama places her between Franchot Tone and Cary Grant.
March 9, 2011
Not one of Jean Harlow's best films, but one of her few dramatic roles. Film is a bit of a mess story-wise and 1930s styles for a film set in 1914 are a bit ridiculous. Still, worth checking out for Harlow fans to see early work from Cary Grant (playing French with no accent) and Franchot Tone (doing a VERY poor Irish accent that comes & goes).
½ January 6, 2011
I enjoyed the acting, but the plot was unbelievable even for a romance, who falls in love over a bombing?!
½ December 4, 2010
if the script, acting, and direction of this movie isn't pedestrian and down-right wooden enough for you, there's the reprehensible plot device of insisting on maintaining a war hero's reputation. think of all the kids who look up to him, him whose "courage purifies war". harlow is probably the best thing going for this, and i don't even like harlow.
May 30, 2010
good stuff great chemisrty & doroty parker co-writing the script.
MissMorganLeee
May 7, 2010
Another great movie from Jean Harlow. Sucha shame that she died so young. She was soo talented. I also really enjoyed Franchot Tone in this movie. He was very enjoyable. Perhaps a bit predictable but I like it.
½ November 11, 2009
A classic movie. Didn't get into it myself though.
November 7, 2008
6.5/10. The story is rather ordinary, but Jean Harlow will lift up any film she is in. She's quite good in this one. A minor classic but well worth watching. Good cast.
½ April 25, 2008
George Fitzmaurice is a really underrated director. He made some incredibly emotional, romantic films, and Suzy is one of those. It's not among his very, very best, but it's still really very good.
½ March 11, 2008
A great adventure yarn. Cary Grant is Cary Grant, although how we are supposed to believe that he is FRENCH is beyond me. Harlow is great. The plot twists nicely. A very pleasant 90 minutes. Pop the corn!
February 14, 2008
Having never seen Jean Harlow in a movie, i really didn't know what to expect. Well she far exceeded any expectations I had of her. The film is a charming love story set with WW1 as the backdrop. A very early role for Cary Grant and it was fun to see him play the not so faithful husband/war hero. A couple of OH NO moments and a satisfying ending.
½ October 30, 2007