Swallowtail & Butterfly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swallowtail & Butterfly Reviews

July 29, 2012
Very original. I would almost believe that the yen town existed in Japanese history. The reference to third culture kids makes me smile, and I love how naturally the sound of mixed linguo of the immigrants are created. I can tell how much effort the entire filming crew have put together to make this fictional story a real living world.
½ September 18, 2011
It's pretty long but also very good.
3,5/5
July 20, 2011
Typical Shunji which have impressed me with the unorthodox narration. A pathetic journey on redemption for a group of lost souls.
½ May 14, 2011
Gritty. Shot entirely on handheld camera, this is a film about immigrants and their challenges when they finally make it big. Great cinematography by Noboru Shinoda.
February 26, 2011
This movie takes place in Tokyo in the near future, in a ghetto inhabited by immigrants from all over Asia. The ghetto is called Yentown. The story revolves around a group of poverty-stricken immigrants, to whom a sudden twist of fate gives the opportunity to literally make money and thus realize their dreams. Unfortunately, their luck is not without it's consequences, and even if they get what they've always dreamed of, they may realize they've chasen the wrong dream. This may not be the most original of ideas, but the story is told with such energy and originality, and with such sympathetic characters, that the viewer soon forgets the familiriaty of the basic plot. The director obviously loves all his characters and so will you; the black boxer with the innocent soul of a child, the philosophical doctor/tattoo-artist, the American who speaks only Japanese, the killer with the black&white painted face and the cool female sniper are all wonderful characters and these are just the small roles! The standout character is the 16 year old girl "Ageha" played by the superb Ayumi Ito. There are only few movies that are so emotionally powerful and complex, without being kitschy and this is the best example that they exist. It has been a long time ago that i last saw such an tragically wonderful, beautiful picture. This masterpiece has it all: tragedy, humour, violence, humanity, and it shows how brutal and wonderful life can be. Highly recommended.
February 26, 2011
This movie takes place in the Tokyo of near future, in a ghetto inhabited by immigrants from all over Asia. The ghetto is called Yentown. The story revolves around a group of poverty-stricken immigrants, to whom a sudden twist of fate gives the opportunity to literally make money and thus realize their dreams. Unfortunately, their luck is not without it's consequences, and even if they get what they've always dreamed of, they may realize they've chasen the wrong dream. This may not be the most original of ideas, but the story is told with such energy and originality, and with such sympathetic characters, that the viewer soon forgets the familiriaty of the basic plot. The director obviously loves all his characters and so will you; the black boxer with the innocent soul of a child, the philosophical doctor/tattoo-artist, the American who speaks only Japanese, the killer with the black&white painted face and the cool female sniper are all wonderful characters and these are just the small roles! The standout character is the 16 year old girl "Ageha" played by the superb Ayumi Ito. There are only few movies that are so emotionally powerful and complex, without being kitschy and this is the best example that they exist. It has been a long time ago that i last saw such an tragically wonderful, beautiful picture. This masterpiece has it all: tragedy, humour, violence, humanity, and it shows how brutal and wonderful life can be. Highly recommended.
½ June 20, 2010
Shunji Iwai treads some dangerous ground in Swallowtail Butterfly, slipping into high-flown kitsch from time to time, and risking possible alienation by entrusting the audience with a fantasy backdrop and having his pan-asian cast do most of the dialogue in poorly pronounced English. As a result, the movie takes it's sweet time to grow on you, but when it does it's all due to character development and Iwai's ability to successfully juggle multiple plotlines at once and still be able to tie them all up in the end. Definitely more genre bending than Iwai's other works, Swallowtail Butterfly displays a range of different moods and styles, but the handheld camera and the theme of displacement in a changing world, mostly signals social cinema, when not just being a simple vehicle for Japanese popstar Chara, that is.
½ January 18, 2010
This is a great film as Shunji Iwai collection !!!
September 25, 2009
It got just about everything. See it!
September 6, 2009
not the greatest one as shunji iwai's collection, i think.
½ June 29, 2009
Shunji Iwai is up there among the best directors and producers ever. This surely is a masterpiece. So much emotions, love, actions.. it's a shame that not a lot of ppl will get a chance to see this movie. I definitely need a rewatch as it's so rich in content that I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of things. But just wow. What a movie!
½ June 27, 2009
a weird movie of Shunji Iwai. though it's a bit complicated, i still love Yosuke Eguchi.
June 12, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie although I have to admit that I had to watch it twice to really get it. I'm still confused about Ran and the girl with the bazooka and what they're all about, so maybe someone can clue me in. The movie is the story of Ageha and her ragtag "family" struggling to survive in Yen Town and their misguided search for happiness through money. I haven't seen a Shunji Iwai movie that I haven't liked, he's definitely one of my favorite directors. I wish he'd hurry up and do another movie already!
May 1, 2009
my all time favorite!
½ April 30, 2009
I watched Swallowtail Butterfly for the first time last night and I thought it was a tremendous movie. In fact, I will go so far as to say it's one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Highly recommended.
February 22, 2009
I guess my MOST favorite Japanese movie. This sweet story makes me cry every time. You can feel bout love, race, human, identity, music, friendship, fight, family....and I also love the ending. Besides, they speak in several languages mixed.=super cool. I love all atomosphere in this movie and love all music in here.
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.
August 21, 2008
????????????岩??????????????????????設??????????????????????????????好?????????主???????????????????素?????????

??????中????????????????????代????????????????????????????????????????????????????????女????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????
August 16, 2008
Debordante, geniale, tra violenza, grottesco e poesia lirica. Un capolavoro assoluto.