Swamp Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swamp Thing Reviews

August 5, 2016
Legendary horror director Wes Craven is well known for creating films like The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream etc. In 1982 Wes Craven wrote and directed the live action movie adaptation to DC comics hero Swamp Thing, the film is a low budget B-movie that surely is great fun to watch. One funny thing is that Swamp Thing is supposed to have comical elements to it but the film takes it self too seriously and the comedy elements seem so small compared to it's sequel Return of the Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing costume is pretty cool and looks effective, the acting is fine. Swamp Thing is a fun comic book adaptation that's should be seen. Check this out. 1
½ June 27, 2016
An average movie, and one often forgotten in the DC filmography. Directed by Wes Craven, and written by the one of the writers of the comic. Seeing ho this is one of the most beloved comics of all times, I didn't think there would be any chance of making a pleasing film. However, while it's story and characters may be bland, and I like everyone else is tired of Damsels In Distress, the film even says so itself and one point. To make up for all this the makeup is wonderful, and the character of the swamp thing is easy to get invested in. Combine that with choreography and editing suited to action far more than superman, a descent popcorn flick. A good introduction to the cult superhero movie.
May 13, 2016
Wes Craven's 'Swamp Thing' is an entertaining piece of sci-fi cheese that is perfectly content with being just that. It's a knowingly campy creature feature that embraces the cliches that are so often present in the genre. And the cast and crew's dedication makes it that much more fun.
½ April 11, 2016
Excellent movie and busty Adrienne Barbeau makes it all that much more better ;)
March 12, 2016
Overly corny for such an interesting character, but it's a pretty fun send up of the 50s drive-in b-movies. Adrienne Barbeaus character is great in it too.
February 26, 2016
It may be a faithful movie (especially for its time and budget) but barely anything ever happens in it. No laughs, no thrills, and a way to simple plot to be even the least bit intriguing.
½ December 2, 2015
Stereotypical 80s horror/drama boobs, bad effects, below average box office.
½ November 23, 2015
”Wes Craven, maestro!
October 24, 2015
Alan Moore's take on this fantastic character is one of my favorite series in comics. Unfortunately, Craven's rendition is muddied with bad 80s acting, laughable romance, and corny melancholy. Even with some great makeup and practical effects, it can't ascend to the best of the monster / body-horror genre.
½ October 8, 2015
Its okay.nothing special, suit was kinda ehh
September 17, 2015
Wow, that was laughably cheesy. I can't recommend this one, sorry Mr. Craven. And poor Bruno.
August 31, 2015
É triste que o gajo tenha de morrer para eu me aperceber de que isto existe. Por outro lado, o problema de decidir o que visualizar fica resolvido.
March 20, 2015
A good attempt from Wes Craven and a decent comic book adaption.
February 24, 2015
Swamp thing could use another movie. But this one is still a lot of fun
½ November 16, 2014
November 3, 2014
Swamp Thing is an interesting little movie, the fact it's probably the most romantic movie with a rubber suit monster fight should tell you that. This is a movie that is campy, but with the right amount of charm to keep it an enjoyable experience. The characters are over the top, there's plenty of odd scenes. and the overall plot is a strange blend of action, horror, romance, and comedy, but in the stew there's that secret ingredient that makes it all come together, that being the heart Wes Craven put into it. There's lots of enjoyable moments here, including the villain who was kind enough to invite the woman his organization kidnapped to a fancy dinner party, Swamp Thing throwing thugs of boats straight into the air, and the entire character of Jude (Who can't love his less than shocked response to seeing Swamp Thing for the first time?). In the end, Swamp Thing is a fun movie with just the right amount of cheese and love to create something that is crucial to any monster marathon that's in need for some good-natured beasts.
September 24, 2014
This isn't a great movie, but it's campy fun and I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. Wes Craven is great at mixing camp and humor with thrills, and this film, while not exactly super thrilling, is a great example of that.
½ September 15, 2014
"Swamp Thing" is a fairly low-budget monster movie that somehow manages to overcome its problems and turn out to be a pretty entertaining story. Based on the character from DC Comics, it follows Government agent Alice Cable (Adrienne Barbeau) who comes to work at a top-secret bio-engineering lab in the middle of the Louisiana swamps. At the lab, Cable meets Dr. Alec Holland (Ray Wise) and his sister Linda (Nannette Brown) who have just developed an incredible formula that increases plant growth. The formula is so potent that even a few drop on a 2 x 4 will result in lush, green branches in just a few minutes. Cable and Alec develop feelings for each other but the celebrations are cut short when a paramilitary group led by the evil Dr. Anton Arcane (Louis Jourdan) commandeers the base. Arcane and his men murder everyone inside to get access to the newfound formula, except Cable who is able to escape. Poor Alec is covered with chemicals and set on fire. He runs into the swamp and disappears into the water, only to return later, ready to protect Cable and take down the bad guys as a mutated plant-human hybrid dubbed Swamp Thing.
The film has numerous flaws and while they're not so bad that they make the film unwatchable or even unpleasant to watch, it's impossible to ignore them. One of the biggest problems is the special effects. Swamp Thing looks pretty good when the camera doesn't linger on him for too long, but whenever there's a close-up, you can clearly tell that it's a rubber suit. This is an instance where the film would have been much better if it had been set mostly at night, in the shadows or if the creature had been created with a combination of makeup, stop-motion and costumes. Little things throughout also distract from the story, preventing you from completely immersing you in the events. When Alec is set on fire for example, he just runs into the water without making a sound. Now I'm no expert on setting people on fire, but I'm pretty sure there should have been some blood-curdling screams there. Another flaw with the film is that the story feels pretty repetitive, like it was the plot for a string of TV episodes mashed together. Characters are constantly getting separated or kidnapped so that Swamp Thing can once again come up to the rescue. After a while it feels like it's just killing time to get to the 91 minute mark.
The flaws are frustrating because the movie actually has a lot of charm and is very entertaining. The characters are likeable, particularly Cable and a young boy she meets after her escape from the lab (Reggie Batts as Jude). Even Louis Jourdan, hamming it up as Dr. Anton Arcane is a lot of fun to follow because he's actually a competent villain. There are some nice, reflective moments when Swamp Thing isn't ripping off the roofs of cars (a terrible special effect that will have you laughing) or beating up Arcane's henchmen too. Overall the film really works on the emotional level because Alex and Cable have some good chemistry. You can believe the lingering affections they have for each other even after Swamp Thing appears. There's some good dialogue and plenty of action too, so the movie is never dull. It's sort of a mash-up between a smart sci-fi drama and a bad creature-feature. When there are people talking, you want people to hush up so you can pay attention and when there's a creature on the screen, you'll be howling out of excitement and bewilderment. It doesn't get any better than during the climax of the film, which comes out of nowhere and is thoroughly entertaining. I really can't tell you what happens because the beauty of it is in the surprise, which is unfortunate. I can tell you that there is no way you can predict where this rivalry between Arcane and Swamp thing ends up.
This being my first time seeing "Swamp Thing" I have to say that overall I was pleasantly surprised. Often it was as bad as I expected it to be, but often it was actually very competently made and genuinely good. I can't say it's for everyone because the tone of the film is so back-and-forth that a lot of people won't be able to stand it. Overall though I would recommend you check it out (try to get it on Dvd or VHS though, Blu-ray will not be kind to this film); it's a solid mix of "so-bad-its-good" campy fun and genuinely good monster action. (91 min. PG Cut on Dvd, November 7, 2013)
July 15, 2014
Wes makes a great comic movie equal parts horror and action. plenty of campy moments and dated effects (especially the end) but the film is never boring.