Swamp Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swamp Thing Reviews

October 18, 2017
How could anyone hate this movie, especially if you grew up with it? Wes Craven's "3-D comic book" is packed with cheese, violence & laughs (Jude!). Highly enjoyable. A perfect Friday or Saturday night film.
October 15, 2017
80s cheese at its finest? Not quite, but you'd be hard pressed too find a cheesier movie that was released theatrically at the time.
½ July 28, 2017
A real oddity, a horror that's not scary, a comedy that's not funny and a story that's full of bizarre choices and contradictory elements. There's some charm generated by the heroes that makes it likable, despite its inability to inspire stronger emotions. There's a good-natured feel to the proceedings that is particularly embodied by Durock's performance as the titular creature, but the entire production feels similarly innocent. Yet at the same time its low budget and treatment of its leading lady also makes it feel exploitative. The early parts are the best with some atmosphere and mystery, although the former may more be because of the location setting, and the latter due to poor writing and direction, making it unclear what the hell is going on, rather than due to any deliberate authorship. After that it goes quickly downhill with a repetitive middle act and silly climax, but its worst sin is that for all its strangeness it's frequently boring.
June 6, 2017
Although it takes place before a few of these, Swamp Thing is pretty much a mixture of elements from The Fly, The Incredible Hulk, and Beauty and the Beast. I'm not quite sure if someone has ever made those comparisons before, but felt like I was viewing something I had already seen done a million time, but with the 80's cheese factor cranked up to an extremely high eleven. It took me a while to finally feast my eyes on this film and part of me is now sad that I did that. Swamp Thing isn't a very good movie, but there is a harmless pleasure in watching this film after so many years have passed by. Released over 35 years ago, this film doesn't date well at all, but if you're in the mood for a laugh, albeit an unintentional one, Swamp Thing may just be the movie for you.

As corny as this film becomes as it progresses, there is no denying that there was a bit of an effort put into the set-up for this film. With a few likeable characters, there was a real sense of tension when their experiments began to go haywire. Quite honestly, the portions that come before the inevitable transformation were easily the best parts of the film, in terms of quality filmmaking. I felt invested for about 20 minutes or so, but Wes Craven's early days of filmmaking just had to kick it up a notch on the cheese factor. I would've loved to see a film about scientists exploring new specimens in the swamps, but this film does take it a little too far at times. I found myself noticing quite a few errors as well. Maybe this is just the filmmaker instinct in me, but the continuity was absolutely atrocious here.

Please don't get me wrong here, because I'm usually the last person to point out continuity in film, due to the fact that it's so incredibly hard to avoid sometimes, but there is no excuse for Swamp Thing. The character of Alice Cable, played quirkily likeable by Adrienne Barbeau, was easily the best and worst part about this film. Quite honestly, I enjoyed her presence and her performance held the film together for me. That being said, I was also distracted each and every time she was on-screen. I'm not sure if it was purposely done, but every single scene has her wearing a different shirt. You can't tell me that a single day went by on set where nobody realized this. Sorry if I ruin the experience for you, but this aspect makes me uncontrollably laugh, which actually enhanced my first viewing of this film.

Look, back in the day, I'm sure that these effects made director Wes Craven extremely happy on set and he couldn't wait to see them in action, but it's not back in the day anymore and these harmless effects now look ridiculous. I do believe it's just a case of the film not dating well, but it just looks like actors running around in high-end halloween costumes. I did find myself caring for the character of Alec Holland (who is turned into the Swamp Thing) throughout one scene, because his line delivery and the line itself deserved to be in a much better film, but for the remainder of the film, even a character death wouldn't have made me feel sympathy for this overly ridiculous premise.

In the end, if you don't know what to expect when somebody calls a 1980's movie cheesy, then please stay far away from this film, because you're probably just going to hate it. The funny thing is that the film isn't very good either, so if you don't like it, I completely understand. To me, this is an extremely large guilty pleasure, showcasing a promising set-up, followed by laughable make-up effects, and a love story that isn't built up enough to really care about. That all sounds pretty bad, but there is a harmless charm to Swamp Thing that may have me revisiting it every now and then. This is the perfect film to sit back with a few film fans and crack open a beer to enjoy with it. Looking back on it, I found myself far too amused to give this a negative score.
May 18, 2017
Wes Craven's adaptation isn't particularly loyal to the source material though he stays true to the comic book movie formula of the early 80s.
May 8, 2017
Reminds me of the creature from the lack lagoon but much dumber. The costumes are awful.
½ March 2, 2017
Is this really a Wes Craven film? Lol. Only visit this swamp if you are very into camp. I enjoy this kind of laughable, dribble for what it is, but I can't rate it any higher based on that.
½ February 26, 2017
A cheesy, campy comic book/horror schlock-fest. Swamp Thing is everything it should be.
½ February 13, 2017
There's a charm to its aggressive campiness and rubber suits but this is strictly for a crowd where that alone can make the movie tolerable.
December 13, 2016
Wow this is bad. Even for 1986.
December 10, 2016
It looks a bit naive and simplistic these days, but still has it charms and nice swampy settings.
October 4, 2016
The years haven't been kind to Swamp Thing.
September 23, 2016
This movie actually has fans and acclaim? Weird
August 5, 2016
Legendary horror director Wes Craven is well known for creating films like The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream etc. In 1982 Wes Craven wrote and directed the live action movie adaptation to DC comics hero Swamp Thing, the film is a low budget B-movie that surely is great fun to watch. One funny thing is that Swamp Thing is supposed to have comical elements to it but the film takes it self too seriously and the comedy elements seem so small compared to it's sequel Return of the Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing costume is pretty cool and looks effective, the acting is fine. Swamp Thing is a fun comic book adaptation that's should be seen. Check this out. 1
½ June 27, 2016
An average movie, and one often forgotten in the DC filmography. Directed by Wes Craven, and written by the one of the writers of the comic. Seeing ho this is one of the most beloved comics of all times, I didn't think there would be any chance of making a pleasing film. However, while it's story and characters may be bland, and I like everyone else is tired of Damsels In Distress, the film even says so itself and one point. To make up for all this the makeup is wonderful, and the character of the swamp thing is easy to get invested in. Combine that with choreography and editing suited to action far more than superman, a descent popcorn flick. A good introduction to the cult superhero movie.
May 13, 2016
Wes Craven's 'Swamp Thing' is an entertaining piece of sci-fi cheese that is perfectly content with being just that. It's a knowingly campy creature feature that embraces the cliches that are so often present in the genre. And the cast and crew's dedication makes it that much more fun.
½ April 11, 2016
Excellent movie and busty Adrienne Barbeau makes it all that much more better ;)
March 12, 2016
Overly corny for such an interesting character, but it's a pretty fun send up of the 50s drive-in b-movies. Adrienne Barbeaus character is great in it too.
February 26, 2016
It may be a faithful movie (especially for its time and budget) but barely anything ever happens in it. No laughs, no thrills, and a way to simple plot to be even the least bit intriguing.
½ December 2, 2015
Stereotypical 80s horror/drama boobs, bad effects, below average box office.