Swashbuckler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swashbuckler Reviews

½ July 28, 2016
Just pure fun! This was one of my favorite movies in the 70's. One of my buddies and I went to see it at the theater twice in the same day.
½ July 17, 2014
An odd mix of slapstick and swordplay, Swashbuckler is curio from Hollywood gone by. Made in 1976, it pays homage to pirate films of yore, but with an unsteady hand - this, despite a stellar cast including Jaws' Robert Shaw as the Errol Flynn-like lead (not to mention James Earl Jones as a Caribbean sidekick; Peter Boyle as lead, frumpy baddie; Geoffrey "7-Up" Holder as the knife-wielding pirate & Beau Bridges as a sycophantic royal suck-up). An overpowering musical score is often obtrusive, as the old school A+ action sequences needn't such a sell job, and therein lies the problem. Anything but subtle, Swashbuckler borders on parody in parts - much to its detriment. A fun film at heart that, in more capable hands than TV director Goldstone (perhaps best known as the man behind the pilot episode of Star Trek) could have been a minor classic.
November 22, 2013
Cheesy, pirate story with some singing and fun music to boot. But hey, two great actors and supporting cast, Working on a film in the Caribbean would be a hard gig to pass up. I don't blame them. Made me miss Grenada. Oddly directed and written with some confusing innuendos and situations, especially the weird swimming scene, and of course the pederasty situation was overwhelming. I mean the villain plays battleship with a teenage boy in the bath! Also gives him metal claws to wear when he tortures people. These oddities took it to a very campy level.
November 8, 2013
Despite a slow start and a sometimes overly whimsical musical score, Goldstone's 70s pirate flick still delivers the goods. Strengthened by a very likeable and dedicated cast, with Shaw, Jones and Holder getting special props, alongside some beautiful production values and well staged, practical swordfights that harken back to the old days, and you have a, well, perfectly decent 'swashbuckler' in, well, 'Swashbuckler.
June 25, 2013
88%

"Bring me back my bananas!"-Banana Man (Harry Basch)

A hidden gem! High adventure, comedy, crazy stunts and a political message about sapping other countries' resources, whats not to like. Has a great cast who are obviously having fun. I'd have to say SWASHBUCKLER had some influence on PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN franchise.
½ June 21, 2013
The only bad thing about film sack is you get these piece of crap movies. This pirate movie from the 70s is pretty terrible and not even in a fun way. The main guy was really terrible
½ August 14, 2011
Farr too ragged and loosely plotted to really good, but enjoyable all the same.
August 11, 2011
Remembered watching this dozens of times when I was about 5 or 6, so much so, that one particular time when electricity was gone, I asked to watch it again and my father made me sit and literally stare at the videotape for an indeterminate amount of time.
½ July 22, 2011
This wonderfully old-fashioned pirates film is like a message from a sunken era, where sword fights are still filmed in wide shots, not a hundred cuts a minute. The mood is light and with plenty of humor, a couple of stunts spectacular, the locations feel real and set a nice Caribbean atmosphere. Sure, some parts of the film are a bit bumpy and feel dated, but overall this is a fun adventure film for a rainy Sunday afternoon. The main title score is also one of the most beautiful themes ever written.
June 9, 2011
Great, fun movie, see it. Do it.
June 2, 2011
Okay. Not as good as I remember. To be fair though I was only 10 when I first saw it, (In a double feature with Airport 77). What I remembered most was the theme song. Still a wonderful piece of music. As for the movie......Eh.
½ October 13, 2010
Exuberant, fun-filled Pirate adventure with the late, great Robert Shaw in a role he was seemingly destined to play. Filled with lots of rollicking scenes of kinetically action-packed sword duels & exciting stuntwork, as Shaw & his band of rowdy Sea-Dogs (Including James Earl Jones, walrus-mustachioed comic Avery Schreiber, & Geoffrey Holder as a master knife-throwing assassin-) take on Peter Boyle as a thoroughly-nasty despot. Boyle was a good actor in the right roles, but unfortunately was miscast here, although he makes the best of it. A young & sexy Genevieve Bujold is the perfunctory love-interest.
March 7, 2010
A legitimate fun time, full of authentic fun and joie de vivre. Rarely have I seen a movie that was so honestly devoted to the love of life and fun. Even the heavies - esp. Peter Boyle, who was outstanding as the evil governor - seemed entirely consumed by the movie. Great effects from the days when effect were real. The beautiful Genevieve Bujold made an excellent heroine - feminine yet more than able to kick ass as required.
No deep message here, but hits on all cylinders as a great and fun adventure.
October 28, 2008
Granted, I saw this when I was like 12 but I loved this movie.
September 2, 2008
Best pirate movie EVER (till Depp did his)
½ May 30, 2008
i didn't even like the "action"; we did have a good time making fun of it though.
April 29, 2008
Another Most Favorite of mine
March 3, 2008
One of those films I searched the papers tv listings for every sunday, back before VHS. Still holds up.
January 29, 2008
Robert Shaw plays an Irish Pirate Red Ned Lynch who falls in love with Genevieve Bujold who wants to free her father from prison. she then makes a deal with the devil or is he, he is a pirate after all. Pure action, some funny scenes, great sword fights.
½ January 7, 2008
It's so sad that I can't find it on DVD anywhere!