Sweet Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Movie Reviews

September 11, 2016
1/5 - bizarre beyond words
June 10, 2016
Sweet Movie isn't as much a traditional "movie" as a series of artistic ideas and images presented in cinematic form, and what is shown still has the power to shock, disgust, and challenge viewers over 40 years after its initial release.Copious amounts of male frontal nudity, prepubescent boys being treated to an explicitly seductive striptease, graphic depictions of urination, defecation, and vomiting, and various forms of transgressive sexuality too numerous to mention; all of which are interwoven with real nazi war footage from WWII and presented through the lens of European political allegory, and it becomes apparent why scores of film historians have analyzed and criticized every frame of Sweet Movie, and why it has been banned in so many countries. Physically and psychically taxing to the actors involved, Sweet Movie should be seen by any fan of subversive cinema or anyone interested in recalibrating their own moral compass.
September 24, 2015
Painfully dull and predicated upon a simple premise worthy of a first-year film major's angrily self-indulgent diary entry, Sweet Movie doesn't seem to understand the fact that you do not earn profundity through empty transgressive nonsense. It is not brave to simply revel in the depths of human depravity if you're not going to attempt to make a larger connection to society as a whole (and no, obvious, limp attempts at satire aimed at society's forms of governmental ideology do not fulfill this requirement).

Contrary to that boring school of thought rooted in the idea that a film is a success if it illicits any kind of response from an audience, anti-authoritarianism doesn't succeed on its own. If all you're going to present is repetitive, tedious, dull, puerile gags that get their point across in the first five minutes, you've done nothing except create a sophomoric venture into empty contrarianism. It is possible to deal with these themes effectively (Hanake's The Piano Teacher, for example, is an exceptional deconstruction of the oppressive nature of societal repression in a way this so desperately wants to be), but Makavejev doesn't seem to want to dig deep enough to hit this kind of ground.

In the midst of all its gleeful taunting, I nearly fell asleep, only perking up to shake my head at the ignorance motivating the lazy and misguided scene involving an adult/child sexual interaction (other points of regressive ignorance can be found in its treatment of black people and its degradation of the female form). While I'm sure 19 year olds working their way through their intro-to-film classes will find this riveting, it left me entirely unimpressed, and the fact that it explicitly dares the audience to find it repulsive near the end so it can label you an oppressive slave to normative social mores is more insulting than anything else.
Harlequin68
August 7, 2015
"Sweet Movie" is a scattershot and surreal satirical film that throughout makes a valid point that sex really isn't that big a deal and certainly nothing to get worked up about. That illuminating thought begins with the inspired madness that is the Miss World Virginity Pageant, before including depictions of every sexual kink known to man, woman and other.

And then just to insure that none of us will ever have an erection again(or the female equivalent), documentary footage is included of bodies being uncovered from the Katyn Massacre site.
½ April 18, 2015
THIS Film is one of the more disturbing and off the wall films I've EVER Seen. That's saying a lot from me. 1970's =Crazy movies
January 2, 2015
one of the most depraved movies I've ever seen, and that's part of its charm. There is something to offend everyone here and it is so obviously a product of the cinema of the early 1970's. I remember reading Time magazine's panning review of this movie as a child and thinking "I must see this movie." The oddest bit for me is seeing John Vernon involved in something like this.
½ December 15, 2014
A courageous example of a personal kind of film making that leads nowhere. Much like the Reichian psychology upon which it was inspired.
½ November 16, 2014
One of the craziest, weirdest, fudged up and let's not forget zany, films I've ever seen. It makes me like it that much more.
½ September 4, 2014
Evoked feelings ranging from sadness to outright revulsion!
July 29, 2014
It's always nice to have a weird film ready when you are up for it.
This one is a silly piece that involves a whole lot of different stuff, often with a sexual undertone. It's R-rated, and after a while it turns pretty extreme. Somewhere in it it gradually turns nastier and nastier. I won't recommend eating while watching some of this stuff - your food might end up cold. That "Salo"-film is mentioned as a similiar film, that should explain a whole lot.

Anyhow, we meet a very pretty girl and a very cool boat. We get some very funny scenes, others seem hard to get - they are just scenes with few meanings for me.
Lots of singing and quite few words. Other scenes are very artistic and avant-guard like.
I like some ideas, I actually like a lot of this film - but in the end it was a bit too extreme for me in some ways. Maybe the most disturbing film I've seen

6.5 out of 10 kilos of sugar.
½ May 11, 2014
Sweet movie is odd.
I'm not disturbed by the acts the people commit for the sake of the film, but with children on set with adults exposing themselves. That's pedophilia.
I liked the art-house feel, it can be compelling, but I don't like it since I've seen such a disgusting act.
April 11, 2014
Okay, this is my least favorite Criterion release. I've seen worse movies, no doubt, but I just couldn't get into this one. Criterion over-hyped it. Not nearly as gross as they said. Still though, others have said this, and I think it's worth mentioning, that the soundtrack really is rather good.
January 5, 2013
It's an OK film, if you live through it. A parody of existence mixed with a few excellent songs and Katyn war footage. Try it.
Ryan M
½ November 12, 2012
Literally what the fuck did I just watch was my initial response when I finished watching Sweet Movie. A delightfully demented and disgusting orgy of culture, tasteless offense, and heavy political and social symbolism; it's almost as if director Dusan Makavejev is just piling up weird scenario after weird scenario to create his plot (which he essentially is), but the art of his film is that there actually is something else going on here, although I haven't the faintest idea what the majority of it might be, although I do have my hunches. The trick is to just sit back and enjoy. Which most people won't be able to do with a movie carrying themes of pedophilia (off-screen), both male and female genitalia (most definitely on-screen), the act of sex itself, and a scene involving a particularly disgusting full-body chocolate bath. I understand. But the weird humor of it all was sort of intoxicating and I can safely say I've never seen anything like it. It is art in a decidedly pure form.
366weirdmovies
½ October 1, 2012
Two alternating stories: in one a virgin beauty queen escapes from her millionaire husband with a solid gold penis, while in the other a Socialist sea captain sails down the Seine with a hold full of sugar and candy. With explicit nudity, blood, urine, puke, feces, infantilism, sexualization of children, and pointless political references, it's like an arthouse version of PINK FLAMINGOS, only boring.
September 9, 2012
German Spoken
English SUBS (encoded)
September 8, 2012
bizarre and sometimes disturbing, a movie that may be considered art but unwatchable by some people
½ May 15, 2012
Don't let the name fool you, it is one of the most disgusting, sick movies ever made. Watch it if you have the stomach for gross and disgusting stuff.
½ April 15, 2012
This was recommended to me by two different people on separate occasions. Clearly a telling sign of my apparent taste based on the content of this insanity.
½ March 21, 2012
It starts off as somewhat funny and interesting poke at movie conventions and morals and gets more and more boring the more and more it thinks its being provocative.