Sweet Sixteen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Sixteen Reviews

June 15, 2015
Another dose of gritty social realism from Ken Loach.
½ May 15, 2015
A British gem. A young man whose mother is in prison decides to get money to provide a proper home for her away from her abusive husband (his stepdad) but soon finds himself way over his head and in trouble. This is a great drama filmed around Glasgow by the talented British filmmaker Ken Loach (remember Kes). The Scottish accents were deemed inpenetrable on release and was released in US with English subtitles. A gem of a film with a devastating ending.
September 8, 2014
Honest, raw, and well... It's Ken Loach.
June 13, 2014
It's a heartbreaking tale from social realist master Ken Loach, thanks to his assured direction and a powerful lead performance from Martin Compston.
½ March 16, 2014
A good little British film about a boy struggling to grow up around a shattered family. He begins dealing drugs, only to find it leads him to even more problems. It has some surprisingly great performances and a powerful story, with some good old fashioned British filmmaking, but it seems a lot longer than it actually is. Not a film I'll watch again in a hurry, but still a good one.
February 10, 2014
This is a movie worth watching. It's very bleak & gritty. It tells the story of a young man fighting his way through life. I enjoyed it. 3 stars from me.
February 3, 2014
bittersweet symphony. The story is universal true for every teenager.
November 22, 2013
Entertaining movie. Hard to understand scottish accent in some scenes.
November 17, 2013
Meh. It doesn't press far enough in any direction to be memorable or worth watching. Good performances.
September 16, 2013
"Oh Liam..What a waste"
½ August 29, 2013
Its Ken Loach. Thats all you need to know. If you didn't know that's all you need to know then you need to watch some Ken Loach movies. It should be obvious by now that I don't rehash the synopsis when reviewing movies. I just tell you what you need to know.............. Its Ken Loach.
½ May 31, 2013
Predictable plotting can be easily excused for Martin Compston's terrific performance and sensitive direction from Ken Loach in this bleak and relentless coming of age crime drama.
½ January 26, 2013
From the first minute there's no surprise that this coming of age tale is going to end up bleeding in the gutter with its teeth kicked in. What saves it are the truthful performances from an ace cast. Not Loach's best effort though.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
October 24, 2012
A realistic film shot in estate Glasgow with poor kids trying to climb up the food chain with all they might. The plot synopsis is somewhat misleading as the teenage girl has already given birth to a young son.
September 27, 2012
Liam and his innocent ideals... Powerful movie delivered in honest moments. If you like Kes you're gonna like this.
July 20, 2012
The ending was not my fav but loved the movie
June 2, 2012
Martin Compston played the lead actor in this nail biting film. Ken Loach portrays reality, bringing in actors who relate very closely to their acting roles, resulting in a film that was almost documentary in style. A great film that wasnt given the exposure it should have gotten.
½ February 12, 2012
After watching so many sugary feel-good films lately, I decided that I needed to see something a bit more gritty. And Sweet Sixteen is about as far removed from Bambi as you can get. Just about every sentence contains either the 'f' word or the 'c' word, which I don't really like at all, but of course the language was necessary in such a bleak setting. I think the boys will love this a lot more than girls, but it is another good drama from Ken Loach, who also directed Kes and My Name is Joe, which I have also seen and enjoyed.
December 28, 2011
Great stuff. Plot wise, it was perhaps starting too many threads for it to tie up (I suppose they didn't want to) but that leaves me feeling just a little unsatisfied. One small point was the score, which was awful. Overall this is great. Great scenes, great acting and captures a whole world.