Sweetwater - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweetwater Reviews

June 16, 2016
It has to be said that when out of an entire movie you can only find one single scene to point to and say, "that was okay", I think it's safe to say you have a miss on your hands.

The movie's biggest fault is the characters. Nothing is done to make the 'heroine' seem likeable and while the villain does do dastardly things that would warrant hate and loathing, I just couldn't ever bring myself to caring that much or finding him that threatening. And the less said about the said characters the better. Seriously, I haven't hated a character as much as the loan officer drought in to help uncover the murders in a long time. Why does he dance? Why?!

To top it off with one of the most anticlimactic endings I've seen. If you're one of those people who taught Kill Bill Vol.2 ending was a letdown, I can't imagine what you'd think of this. Yikes.
May 26, 2016
Fresh approach on a stale genre...definitely no great movie but fun watching mainly because of the odd characters...as usual with this kind of movies far better than what the critics say...and well...the audience can't be helped anyway...if the makers had dared a little bit more than just doing a revenge movie my rating would have been more favorable
March 6, 2016
I haven't laughed this hard in a while. This movie is pretty fucking awesome!
March 2, 2016
Not sure why others have given low rating for this movie. It is quite entertaining, story of an underdog who rise for justice. It is so much more powerful that underdog is a woman. Well made movie with good acting.,
February 7, 2016
Solid and worthwhile western (aren't most of 'em)
December 19, 2015
Oddball western, but really good.
October 2, 2015
ed harris is both hit and miss in the film but its January Jones who really shines in a strong female role. The first half is slow and full of characters just showing up at the right locations. not a bad film for an afternoon.
½ September 17, 2015
140102: "Horrific and Hilarious" - How this film is described by Jason Issacs in the making of featurette. Good description which I will try to follow up on. If this is the way my year is going to start then it's bound to be a great year. Sleeper hit of the last few years. Found at Walmart while searching video games with my son. Thought this might be another B Western that I regret spending money on. Nope. This one will follow me to my death. As a matter of fact, not sure this film was good for my health. Be warned there is a lot of violence and stressful moments held within. This is a dark film. It's not happy. But, it's awesome. So badly wanted to give it five stars but some may think I'm nuts. Wow, that's all I can think to say at this point. Wow. Also, there are some humorous moments held within. Sheriff Jackson's investigational commentary at Prophet Josiah's dinner table is awesome. He carries to great effect while watering Charlie, his horse. Kudos to Eduardo Noriega as Miguel and January Jones as Sarah. Great characters. Strangely, I thought this film was going to be a flop based upon the first ten minutes. Stay tuned as it gets better with time. The use of forensics by Sheriff Jackson and Barley (Kevin Wiggins) was a delightful law enforcement twist. The killings are graphic but you cheer most of them on. Pedophiles be warned, Martin goes down hardest of all. Violated at the barrel of a gun, and by Sheriff Jackson himself. Paybacks a bitch.
January 3, 2015
Got to see January Jones' boobs, so there's that.
½ October 26, 2014
un western bien terne.
September 3, 2014
There really isn't anything new being offered here. Ed Harris does provide us with a quirky enough performance to not keep us totally bored. That being said...I was hoping for better.
½ August 28, 2014
Starting out like a somewhat regular Western, albeit with a really hateful and diabolic bad guy, the film goes more into pulp territory with each minute. While Ed Harris' shenanigans are fun to watch, it is January Jones who's the problem. The more her character enters the center stage, the less interesting things get. Fact is, she can't act her way out of a kartonage box. The movie gets bloodier with each minute but also less exciting because it takes a little more than someone walking around shooting people in revenge to keep the audience interested. By the time of the showdown you just don't care anymore. Wasted chances all around.
½ August 10, 2014
female version of clint eastwood in "Unforgiven"
½ August 4, 2014
Pretty interesting...Ed Harris is Nuts!
July 15, 2014
Let's get it straight, it's not a very typical western nor a typical American film. The story unfolds very nicely and thanks to a very strong cast, the film quickly gain in intensity and substance. The camera work at first is inspiring, fluid and quite engaging but turns out to be a little too modern for the story it tells which ended up distracting me from the storyline. Some characters would have gained value if their story had been slightly more explained. Rest two beats facing each others on screen, Jason Isaacs who's apparently a master at playing bastards and the ever eccentric Ed Harris in one of his best part since I can't remember actually. these two could burn a stock of celluloid with their magnetic presence and their undeniable charisma. January Jones brings a nice feminine touch but remains an elusive character who's simply seeking vengeance for the husband she lost. This is a B Movie directed partly with a certain style and some excellent ideas but lacking focus and nerves at times. I salute the willingness to bring a new breath into the Western genre but I can't turn a blind eye either on some flaws present in a film that shows potential. Time will tell if this was a warming up to something better or simply a luck of the beginners.
April 28, 2014
Jones gets revenge on an evil cult in this Western exploitation. Beautiful scenery, low budget.
½ April 11, 2014
In the late 1800's, a beautiful former prostitute, Sarah Ramírez (January Jones), is trying to build an honest life with her husband Miguel (Eduardo Noriega) in the rugged plains of New Mexico. The nearby society is in the hands of the sadistic and powerful religious leader and prophet Josiah (Jason Isaacs) who will stop at nothing to keep his control over land and people. When his sheeps are eating the crops on Sarah´s and Miguel´s land, they confront him which in return turns their lives violenty upside down. At the same time the renegade and eccentric Sheriff Jackson is on the search for the missing sons of the state Governor and the trail is leading him towards Josiah...

I haven´t heard or red anything about "Sweetwater" as far as I can remember, but I have such a sweet spot for western movies, so it was impossible to not see this one and I was positively surprised of this bleak and violent western. Nice to see the lovely January Jones stepping yet again outside of her Betty Draper persona and with her cool and no bullshit approach she makes Sarah come alive. Jason Isaacs is great as the evil Josiah, but the biggest treat is to see Ed Harris having the time of his life as Sheriff Jackson. He has so many great scenes and his character is such a breath of air. It makes me think of Marlon Brando´s Robert E. Lee Clayton in
"The Missouri Breaks". Love the scene when he literally kicks the shit out of the local corrupt lawman. The cast is good, the cinematography is solid and the story has a good balance between good and evil within the revenge scenario. Good one.
April 10, 2014
A mess that wanders around weirdly for an hour and then becomes a mix of spit on your grave and a western.
½ April 1, 2014
Westerns are not my thing. I gave this one a chance because of the cast, but I could have passed on watching this.
March 26, 2014
Ed Harris was just incredible. He was amazing in this, great dialogue, he chewed scenery like nobody's business. He makes the film worth watching.