Swimming - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swimming Reviews

March 14, 2012
Well, as I adore Lauren so much I have to check this out!
½ April 21, 2011
Lauren Ambrose is totally convincing as Frankie in this excellent coming of age movie. Lauren's ability to portray the vulnerability of her character is captivating from start to finish. This is a movie to be enjoyed again and again.
May 31, 2010
Mediocre film with not much to say. Lauren Ambrose's acting was one bright spot.
December 28, 2008
Six Feet Under fans...a chance to see "Claire" in a very different role.
October 16, 2008
Among my very favorite "indie" flicks.
Lauren Ambrose is SUPERB !! Real
people in real situations, the best
kinds of stories !! Want special effects,
car chases, violence and explosions?
This film is NOT for you !!
September 5, 2008
Usually movies have a point. This one tried and failed...
½ September 3, 2008
Without exaggerating their lovability or condescending to their foolishness, Mr. Siegel makes vivid, likable people out of his three protagonists as they affect one another and are affected in turn.
½ August 4, 2008
Not bad. The main girl's kind of awkward, which I enjoy watching people that don't quite have it all together.
July 5, 2008
Ambrose's character, Frankie, dresses and acts like a woman who's entrenched in middle age without any hope of escaping. She runs the family restaurant with her older brother, Nick (Josh Pais), and she shares their parents' old house with Nick's wife and kids. Frankie's best friend, Nicola (Jennifer Dundas Lowe), apparently keeps her around so she can look more vivacious by comparison.
Frankie's worldview gets rocked when she meets the new waitress Josee (Joelle Carter), a beautiful woman who takes an interest in her without any ulterior motives. Josee's free spirit and disregard of others fascinates Frankie, both of which are nicely illustrated in a scene where Josee leisurely strolls through the crowded restaurant. Soon, they're spending time together, which enrages Nicola and Josee's boyfriend (James Villemaire) and destroys the ruts they've built for themselves. Ambrose is capable of bringing a nuanced, understated style to anything she does, but still showing flashes of strong emotion at times. Unfortunately, Ambrose and Frankie are awash in a rambling story, languid indie-film pacing and editing, and only marginally likable characters. Siegel's deft casting is nothing short of excellent. Ambrose and the rest are so natural in their roles it hurts. There is no scenery chewing or awkward improv, and their craft appears effortless.
February 11, 2008
I love Lauren Ambrose. Claire Fisher is my homegirl!
½ January 22, 2008
I am in love with Lauren Ambrose. The film is pretty good too :)
January 2, 2008
So this is what gets shown at Sundance these days? Stories about pouty beach bunnies who think they're fat? If I wanted to see that I'd turn on MTV.
November 19, 2007
All-around great little slice of life character study. Give it a chance; you'll love the characters and recognize those little moments from growing up that seem insignificant but are the essence of love. You can tell a story about teens without it being like a Fox soap opera.
November 11, 2007
I liked the small emotionally charged moments and Josee's attraction for Frankie, but cared less for the drug use.
November 3, 2007
lauren ambrose has so much potential
October 31, 2007
It is so good but its just terribly depressing.
September 20, 2007
another good indie watch...lauren ambrose is cute as hell, a plain jane gem in the california world of suntanned, fauxfaced, airbrushed glamour. yay for lauren's super character evolution and a very 'true-to-life' feel.
September 13, 2007
I just couldn't get into this, and I usually love Lauren Ambrose.
½ August 9, 2007
This movie was pretty good. I liked the soundtrack more than the aactual movie.
August 7, 2007
I LIKE LAUREN AMBROSE...
THIS WAS A SIDE OF HER I WANTED TO SEE.