Swimming with Sharks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swimming with Sharks Reviews

July 31, 2016
This shit is real! I lived a small slice of it once...and lived to not tell anyone about it!
½ April 24, 2016
Kevin Spacey is good.
August 28, 2015
Surprisingly good movie. Spacey plays a wonderful dick in this one (like most of his films). It just seems too natural for him...
July 16, 2015
Great Hollywood satire with one of Spacey's best performances. Was actually caught off guard by the ending.
June 24, 2015
Though it's uneven, it's not always great, but somehow Swimming With Sharks triumphs due to it's ultimate end and it's ultimate theme: the cutthroat nature of business and the terrifying, often horrible way it is accomplished; smart and dangerously funny with a scathing wit, though it's largely thanks to the efforts of Kevin Spacey who provides what might be the best performance of his career as Buddy Ackerman, a character of such villainy and intrigue it's almost criminal how overlooked it is, and Ackerman's electrifying, mesmerizing monologue about "the way it goes" ultimately summing up the film's intent which in the end is a success worthy of applause
½ June 3, 2015
Before Horrible Bosses, Kevin Spacey played just about the worst of them all. Buddy Ackerman is awesome. Swimming with Sharks is one of the most brutally hilarious, and ridiculous revenge fantasies ever. It's Horrible Bosses with a savage bite. A sharp and edgy satire on the business of Hollywood. Severely underrated.
½ May 25, 2015
The twist at the end isn't all that chilling, frankly it's forced and a little excessive. It's a shame because this may be Spacey's best "shouting egomaniac" performance.
April 21, 2015
A hoot,nobody plays ruthless with more glee than Spacey.What a son of a bitch and the movie much better for it,
½ March 16, 2015
Spacey has had the gift from the beginning in what is a fun, yet thin, look at satirical Hollywood.
March 11, 2015
The performances and the dark satire makes it good but not great.
½ February 17, 2015
While I think there are smarter satires of Hollywood out there, Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley bring this movie up to the next level. Not to mention its dark and provoking ending.
January 19, 2015
One of Kevin Spacey's best performances. He plays the asshole as a three dimensional character, while still having fun with his role. The story itself is also pretty good as well, but see this one for Spacey.
January 15, 2015
WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT? The characters in "Swimming with Sharks" in their movie studio microcosm think they do. What should be the rewards for paying your dues? Brilliant performances by Spacey and Whaley. Can't take your eye prints off of it until the very end. Especially liked the paper cuts.
January 13, 2015
Fantastic screenplay, great performances.
January 6, 2015
Kevin Spacey plays an entirely believable super jerk in this one. He fits his role exceedingly well. Frank Whaley also shines in his role as Guy, assistant to the big Hollywood executive, Buddy. The ending of the movie is not plausible in real life, but it was good for the story. All in all, this was more than worth my time. I bought it on iTunes on a whim but did not know that it was available on Netflix for streaming. Joke's on me!
½ December 10, 2014
If you've ever fantasized of Kevin Spacey yelling and being an overall dick to you for seemingly no reason, then this is the film for you. If you can get past the late game sadism, and the blind-siding ending.
July 23, 2014
This one is an alright little film. Kevin Spacey is phenomenal here and the satire element is very good (though not very funny, as I barely laughed here). The general story is alright as well, but the dark tonal shifts and the ending are very disappointing and leave me wondering what this one would have been like if it had not gone down that route. If they focused more on the lighter (though belittling) elements, the film would have been far better. But, as it stands, the film is fine and is a good portrayal of life in the film industry and is quite enjoyable. The length is perfect and the writing is very strong throughout, so I cannot be too mad at this one.
July 20, 2014
Kevin Spacey is phenomenal in this film.
½ July 10, 2014
The ending to me is disappointing.
June 23, 2014