Swing Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swing Girls Reviews

½ April 11, 2017
Music doesn't choose people. Music chooses passion. I really made a good choice on watching this film once I've learned that the Director is Shinobu Yaguchi. This film's plot is just simple and I love it! And it has a sense of adventure and very funny. Juri Ueno's performance really did swing me and the chemistry of the cast was so lovable as well.
July 20, 2014
Haven't laughed so hard in years. Great story, well casted, could watch it again.
April 29, 2013
interesting japanese movie i have ever watched! but no romantic scene ne~ i was expecting a romantic scene between Nakamura and Tomoko~
November 4, 2012
Silly silly silly and light slice of life, which is also a testament of everything lovable in japanese femininity (especially of young teeny in sailor student dress, ahem). Fun fun.
September 24, 2012
The nicest thing I can say about this is that it is not literally the worst movie I've ever seen, though it's pretty close. The second nicest thing I can say is that the Japanese market Region 2 DVD contains English subtitles, though unfortunately that robbed me of the excuse that I was simply not familiar enough with their accent when the movie turned out to make virtually no sense at all.

Everyone is constantly a terrible human being to everyone else, in the fashion of a 1990s sitcom. There are no actual characters; there are only lazy-Japanese-writer stock high school caricatures and clich√ (C)s. Virtually nothing happens for any reason at all other than "because the script calls for it to," and a number of storylines are simply abandoned, presumably because the scriptwriter simply forgot about them. It is a movie that utterly lacks denouement, with credits rolling literally at the climactic scene. Imagine a few fairly unexperienced college students writing and putting on a stage play, except for cameras, if you want an idea of the level of quality we're talking about.

Most of the alleged comedy comes largely from "they're from up north, so they talk funny," with no actual humor involved (with perhaps two major exceptions: one being legitimately well delivered, the other being physical comedy so unimaginably inept that I had to rewind the movie simply to see it again). Most of the time, everyone just says horrible things at everyone else, and we are supposed to laugh at this for some reason.

Even the soundtrack was a massive disappointment, with there being precious little actual big band jazz played during the movie (despite the name and premise).

I could only recommend this movie to someone for one of two reasons:
1. "It is the second piece of pop culture to contain the song 'Mexican Flyer,' and explicitly references the first."
2. "It is a movie so unthinkably bad that you absolutely must see it for yourself, because it's often hilarious but never for the right reasons."
January 15, 2012
Brilliant - an absolute must-see!
July 26, 2011
A School of Rock-esque comedy about an underdog student band, Swing Girls contains all the ingredients that make Japanese comedies great: a eccentric plot, slightly awkward but emotionally captivating characters, and just the right amount of absurdist humor.
July 13, 2011
You'll fall in L-O-V-E with jazz again!
½ May 26, 2011
very funny, really had some good laughs. but somehow i got the feeling that this kind of story would've fit better in a drama series. oh, and thanks for this movie i got meet Shihori Kanjiya. She's so lovely!!
½ May 7, 2011
The best word to describe this movie would be: charming! Swing Girls is a totally heart warming drama/comedy about a group of (under achieving) school girls who decides to form a jazz band. Together they learn and starts to appreciate the art of music, swing and jazz. And trust me, it rubs off! I dare you to listen to the final act without snapping your fingers on the backbeat. Shoob be bop!
November 15, 2010
Somewhat surprisingly well put together re: production values for such an obvious piece of fluff, this film relies on charm throughout to hold the viewers attention...okay, cute Japanese schoolgirls don't hurt. (Hey, don't call me out as a perve...I'm just saying they are cute and charming and that don't hurt, okay?). Actually, the whole cast is winning and energetic, which makes the simplistic story line (somewhat) bearable. Fans of the slightly superior "Linda, Linda, Linda" should still enjoy this.
August 20, 2010
Genial, dos elementos muy importantes para mi es Juri Ueno mi actriz japonesa favorita y el tema de musica o que yo mas amo en este mundo. Aunque nunca he sido fans del Jazz despues de ver esta peli no lo vere igual, disfrute montones la peli, las actuaciones lo momentos chuscos me encanto. la recomiendo mucho ^^
August 16, 2010
Divertida y adorable! Me alegra mucho haber detectado esta pel√≠cula. Un grupo de chicas revoltosas encuentran en la m√ļsica una forma de crecer y ser mejores. Detalle importante es que las actrices realmente tocan los instrumentos que usan en la pel√≠cula. Juri Ueno, la estelar ya sab√≠a tocar varios instrumentos y el resto de las actrices luego de un arduo entrenamiento lograron dominar cada uno de sus respectivos instrumentos, y para probarlo hicieron una gira tocando en vivo antes muchas audiencias. La pel√≠cula fu√© la 8va m√°s taquillera de Jap√≥n y gan√≥ 7 premios al a√Īo siguiente incluyendo premios como Pel√≠cula m√°s popular y Juri Ueno como mejor nueva estrella. Juri Ueno luego se destac√≥ en un drama llamado Nodame Cantabile donde nuevamente mostr√≥ su destreza musical. Regresando a la pel√≠cula es super divertida, uno se r√≠e montones y se emociona tambi√©n conforme ve el avance que van logrando los personajes. Me fascin√≥ y la recomiendo altamente.
August 15, 2010
Cute rags-to-riches story, enhanced by the on-screen talent playing all the tunes themselves.
July 18, 2010
Anyone who love music movie will like this, especially in Jazz music^^
February 19, 2010
Hugely entertaining tale about a group of Japanese high school girls who decide to form a big band jazz ensemble. Endearing characters, simple unoffensive humor, and a general feel great vibe permeate the entirety of the film. With a soundtrack of great standards and infectious performances by a stable of young and veteran Japanese actors, there is not much critical to say about this film.
January 15, 2010
Hilarious,,,Funny,,,and several Pretty girls,,,
January 10, 2010
lucuuuuuuuuuu abiss!!!
January 3, 2010
Film Jepang yang sangat menarik tuk ditonton. Mengisahkan tentang sekumpulan anak SMA yang bosan dengan kehidupan mereka yang begitu2 saja, hingga mereka secara tidak sengaja bertemu dengan seorang personil grup Brass Band sekolah yang memaksa mereka menggantikan grup Brass Band yang keracunan makanan. Berbobot namun ringan dengan adegan2 yang menggelitik di hampir sepanjang film. Awalnya mungkin agak membosankan dan garig, namun semakin ditonton semakin menarik dan lucu! Bagi peminat film humor jepang, wajib nonton!
½ December 28, 2009
another feel good japanese movie........