Swing Girls Reviews

• Sep 05, 2017

This movie is a lot of fun, and the fact that the actors really learnt to play their instruments in real life is pretty damn cool. Probably one of my favourite movies of all time

• Jun 14, 2013

Music doesn't choose people. Music chooses passion. I really made a good choice on watching this film once I've learned that the Director is Shinobu Yaguchi. This film's plot is just simple and I love it! And it has a sense of adventure and very funny. Juri Ueno's performance really did swing me and the chemistry of the cast was so lovable as well.

• Apr 29, 2013

interesting japanese movie i have ever watched! but no romantic scene ne~ i was expecting a romantic scene between Nakamura and Tomoko~

• Nov 04, 2012

Silly silly silly and light slice of life, which is also a testament of everything lovable in japanese femininity (especially of young teeny in sailor student dress, ahem). Fun fun.

• Sep 24, 2012

The nicest thing I can say about this is that it is not literally the worst movie I've ever seen, though it's pretty close. The second nicest thing I can say is that the Japanese market Region 2 DVD contains English subtitles, though unfortunately that robbed me of the excuse that I was simply not familiar enough with their accent when the movie turned out to make virtually no sense at all. Everyone is constantly a terrible human being to everyone else, in the fashion of a 1990s sitcom. There are no actual characters; there are only lazy-Japanese-writer stock high school caricatures and clichà (C)s. Virtually nothing happens for any reason at all other than "because the script calls for it to," and a number of storylines are simply abandoned, presumably because the scriptwriter simply forgot about them. It is a movie that utterly lacks denouement, with credits rolling literally at the climactic scene. Imagine a few fairly unexperienced college students writing and putting on a stage play, except for cameras, if you want an idea of the level of quality we're talking about. Most of the alleged comedy comes largely from "they're from up north, so they talk funny," with no actual humor involved (with perhaps two major exceptions: one being legitimately well delivered, the other being physical comedy so unimaginably inept that I had to rewind the movie simply to see it again). Most of the time, everyone just says horrible things at everyone else, and we are supposed to laugh at this for some reason. Even the soundtrack was a massive disappointment, with there being precious little actual big band jazz played during the movie (despite the name and premise). I could only recommend this movie to someone for one of two reasons: 1. "It is the second piece of pop culture to contain the song 'Mexican Flyer,' and explicitly references the first." 2. "It is a movie so unthinkably bad that you absolutely must see it for yourself, because it's often hilarious but never for the right reasons."

• Apr 27, 2012

Haven't laughed so hard in years. Great story, well casted, could watch it again.

• Jan 10, 2012

Brilliant - an absolute must-see!

Brilliant - an absolute must-see!

• Jul 26, 2011

A <i>School of Rock</i>-esque comedy about an underdog student band, <i>Swing Girls</i> contains all the ingredients that make Japanese comedies great: a eccentric plot, slightly awkward but emotionally captivating characters, and just the right amount of absurdist humor.

• Jul 13, 2011

You'll fall in L-O-V-E with jazz again!

You'll fall in L-O-V-E with jazz again!

• May 26, 2011

very funny, really had some good laughs. but somehow i got the feeling that this kind of story would've fit better in a drama series. oh, and thanks for this movie i got meet Shihori Kanjiya. She's so lovely!!