Swingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swingers Reviews

January 25, 2016
There is little not to like about something with the originality of "Swingers". You will have mixed emotions about its lead characters but you WILL care about them. All of this is because at its core this movie is about friendship and when you find a movie about friends who love each other enough to put that friend ahead of just about anything you can't do anything but be engrossed.
January 19, 2016
Main character (Mike) reminded me of a Woody Allen-like persona, lost as the world whirls around him. Vincent Vaughn as his charismatic pal at times runs away with the movie, but overall it's a great ensemble-type piece. Perhaps would have liked to have seen Mike trying to do things without his mates more. But his friends had his back and to watch them making sure Mike is OK is really touching.
A couple of great scenes with Favreau and his answering machine/telephone.
A real indie feel to this movie. Perhaps they could have edited the extended music scenes, but a minor quibble.
December 13, 2015
Swingers is a lot of fun. It's stylish, it's got a heartfelt story, relatable characters, its very funny and easy to watch. The movie moves quick and although it doesn't have a whole lot to say, I related a lot to Jon Favreau's character. Very slick, down to earth movie about romance. Also a ton of intertextual references here, many of them probably flew over my head. To mention a few the Reservoir Dogs walk and the Jaws music as he approaches the bar.
½ December 13, 2015
I guess this is where Favreau and Vaughn discovered the characters that they were to regurgitate for every future role they were to play. I wish I'd have seen this a long time ago as these characters now annoy me whereas I think I would have enjoyed this more had I not been bored by them already.
½ November 29, 2015
A movie I've meant to watch for what seems like forever, and I'm happy I finally did. Mike (Favreau) is a gullible loser that you can't help but root for, and hope it works out for him. Arguably the best I've seen out of Vince Vaughn. Very fun in this flick as the best friend. Mike's Voicemail Scene is gut wrenching to watch as a guy who's been there (as most of us have), but at the same time is extremely funny.
½ October 25, 2015
I think it's one of the best "hangout" films of all time. Basically, the film is coming from such a personal place. It's extremely relatable to these kinds of people who go out to the bars expecting love and happiness every weekend, and the contrasting characters in each group of friends who look at women in different ways. The low-budget, wandering feel of it that gives restrictions to the production design only helps the film achieve the authentic landscape and character dynamics. What it's like to be in your 20s, single and someone who thought they were going to be much more in life.
½ October 15, 2015
Maybe this is meant for guys only? I found this painful, stilted and sad to watch. The fact that the actors are mostly portraying themselves makes it worse. I really wanted to like this but gave up after 34 minutes, I just couldn't stomach anymore.
October 13, 2015
Surprisingly contemplative and thoughtful for a movie marketed as a "guys try to pick up chicks" film.
½ October 11, 2015
"Swingers'' is directed by Doug Liman. The cast includes Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau. The film follows comedian, Mike Peters (Favreau). Mike has been going through relationship problems. His most recent breakup followed after a six year relationship, and Mike isn't taking it well. He can't stop thinking, or talking about his ex, and chews the ear off of anyone he talks to. Mike's friend, Rob (Vaughn) suggests a break from his problems, and drives him to Las Vegas to play poker and hook up with babes.

Part of what makes this film great are the performances. Jon Favreau is a great writer, director, and actor. Not only does Favreau give a good performance, the script for the film is also brilliant. Favreau's writing style is energetic as hell, and full of fantastic dialogue. Also, as a fan of Vince Vaughn, I found his performance also very enjoyable. Recently, Vaughn starred in the second season of hit television show, True Detective. He's a wonderful actor with a massive range.

"Swingers'' is a funny, charming, and well written comedy that admittedly, is a tad generic. If you enjoyed the film, High Fidelity, will very much enjoy this film. The performances are strong, the direction is solid, and the script is sublime.
½ September 20, 2015
A must watch almost exclusively for Vince Vaughn's star-turning performance.
September 13, 2015
Original, funny and sincere.
August 29, 2015
Momentos de imensa inspiração - como a cena em que o início e o fim de uma relação amorosa se dá ao curso de alguns recados deixados na secretária eletrônica da pretendente - intercalados com vai-e-véns previsíveis de nightclubs e bares através dos quais um típico grupo de machos sai à caça.
August 29, 2015
Most of the reviewers talk about how this movie isn't the best, but its "real." Yeah, a bunch of real weirdos. The 90's sure were interesting.
August 10, 2015
This exercise in indie hipster cool is 'money'--and that's no joke, baby.
½ July 23, 2015
Thumbs up! The ending is gold.
½ July 22, 2015
"cocktails first. questions later."

Swingers was an instant classic upon release and will always remain so. It's more than just another men trying to pick up women comedy, that we've seen thousands of times. The script by Jon Favreau is sharp, hilarious, and most importantly, real.

Mike is a struggling comedian who just made the move to Hollywood after being left by his girlfriend of six years. He mopes around and whines about his lost love. Mike's friend, Trent, tries to get him to get back out there. Mike, Trent, and some others cruise around Hollywood from bar to bar, trying to pick up girls and have a good time.

Swingers is a fun time, with great performances from Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn. The dialogue is about as good as it gets and the characters are people you know. The film is authentic and has that feeling of late night comedy, while being something much more.
½ July 18, 2015
The screenwriter has committed a felony. The writing is so awful and disgusting. How many times can you listen to "you're money" in a few minutes span. Heather Graham is a beautiful woman but she can Not save this horrible movie.
½ June 26, 2015
This light and slangy comedy about the mating rituals of young men in Los Angeles is pretty entertaining, especially the scene where the guy left a bunch of messages on the answering machine of a girl he just met.
June 19, 2015
cult classic that's very 90's
½ June 8, 2015
'Swingers' perhaps marked the start of the recent explosion of 'lad' based comedies. A now familiar scenario in which a group of friends help the heartbroken chap by exposing him to as many bars, women and alcohol as possible. The comedy is definitely dated, although it has some nice moments. It also exposed me to one of the few films where Vince Vaughn was bearable, and dare I say it, even amusing. Nothing special, although I would expect my rating to be different should I have watched it some ten years ago.