The Sword and the Sorcerer Reviews

• Nov 10, 2019

One of the best of it's genre, I grew up owning this movie, it is funny and with very good sets and costumes. I watched it again recently and it actually still holds the test of time.

• Jul 31, 2019

This film is the CITIZEN KANE of 80's schlock fantasy! To smutty at points for kids, and to idiotic for sane adults, it still manages to be a solid, fun watch even today. The three-bladed sword that can SHOOT two of them out is pure cheeseball movie icon!

• Feb 23, 2019

saw it, loved it, bought the vhs

saw it, loved it, bought the vhs

• Dec 16, 2018

A film rarely seen today, but a film I have a great fondness of. In the 80s before the likes of lord of the rings, there were many fantasy films, but only a few managed to capture a certain element, of escapism, of creating a world we hadn't seen before. The ones that spring to mind are the Conan films, red Sonja and this very film. Completely underrated, this is a complete joy, a real guilty pleasure!!!

• Nov 26, 2018

Better than "The Beastmaster," this is still a barbarian fantasy film that reeks of cheese. Lee Horsely was kind of cool and the writing was a hundred times better than The Beastmaster. However, that's not saying much. (It's a MUCH better film that its sequel, though!

• Mar 15, 2018

It's cool and feels old, but it's too low lit revealing terrible production value

• Mar 01, 2018

Delightfully over the top fantasy.

Delightfully over the top fantasy.

• Jun 30, 2017

The Sword and the Sorcerer. 7 out of 10 How have I never heard of this movie? This is both frightening and exciting. I certainly remember lots of films from 1982. Outside of the obvious hits such as The Thing and Blade Runner and appropriate to this genre Conan you also have great B-movies such as Basket Case and Q and Slumber Party Massacre. I really don't know how this one has stayed off my radar for 35 years. Anyway, in that Conan tradition boy sees mother killed by big bad and comes back for revenge with a very silly sword with three blades like some sort of disposable shaving razor. You have evil wizards that are more than they seem. A big bad named Cromwell is taking out the rightful king. Men that will help rescue a woman in return for sexual favors. Frank Fontana from Murphy Brown for some reason as the sidekick. Attractive woman in various states of undress. Some very strange tonal changes sometimes in the same scene (The upbeat soundtrack during massacres certainly doesn't help). And a plot that at least on the first viewing, admittedly confused to the point that I am still under the impression that the lead hero and his love interest are brother and sister. While this movie is certainly no Conan ( what is) it is also no Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom. The movie is a sometimes delightful combination of competent and goofy that may get much better with multiple viewings.

• Mar 07, 2016

Lots of fun sword and sorcerer, but probably not as good as it could be. The effects are cheesy, plenty of campy scenes. Unforgettable characters, and the plot isn't easy to follow.

• Jan 16, 2016