Sword of Lancelot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sword of Lancelot Reviews

½ March 27, 2014
directed and starring cornel wilde this uneven version of the king arthur knights of round table myth
½ May 6, 2013
This movie is worth the watch if only for the jousting scene early on. The acting isn't great, the romance is lukewarm and includes a bit of excessive body soap, and the story is predictable. However, the sets are actually great, the color and film quality are both good, and the action scenes are decent. The gore is a bit inconsistent, but is present at times. So is the occasional bloodless stabbing. The costumes are campy but fun, and the number of extras in the battle scenes are adequate if not impressive. This B movie gets an A for effort. In the overarching realm of King Arthur movies, it lands somewhere in the middle: not as good as Excalibur, but not as bad as First Knight.
½ May 5, 2013
This movie is worth the watch for the jousting scene early on. The acting isn't great, the romance is luke warm and includes a bit of excessive body soap, and the story is predictable. However the sets are actually great, the color and film quality are both good, and the action scenes are decent. The gore is a bit inconsistent, but is there sometimes along with the occasional bloodless stabbing. The costumes are campy but fun, and the number of extras in the battle scenes are adequate if not impressive. This B movie gets an A for effort. In the over arching range of King Arthur movies, it lands in the middle: not as good as Excalibur, not as bad as First Knight.
November 26, 2012
Cornel Wilde writes, directs, produces and co-stars with his wife Jean Wallace in this extremely loose adaptation of the King Arthur legends. This is the standard story of Arthur marrying the young Guinevere only to lose him to his friend and closest ally Lancelot. Not surprisingly, Wilde is Lancelot and Wallace Guinevere. Not a terrible film, but like a lot of Wilde's productions, there doesn't appear to be enough money to pull of what was envisioned. Wilde's vision of Arthurian times comes straight out of the generic medieval Hollywood catalog. It's not terribly convincing. Most of the cast is adequate, except Wallace, who really doesn't seem up to the dramatic demands of even this cornball script.
April 2, 2012
I love this movie. I saw it when I was a teenager. Cornel Wide is the best Lancelot ever!
½ May 6, 2008
An earlier movie (1963) and thus a bit dated at times but it actually holds up way better than most of the recent Arthurian movies (e.g., First Knight 1995, King Arthur 2004, Last Legion 2007). Easy to overlook but a worthwhile watch.
January 4, 2008