Sympathy for Delicious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sympathy for Delicious Reviews

November 6, 2013
Crap story, forgettable and unlikable characters, what more can I say.
September 7, 2013
It's a long time before this movie is done. Did the director loose focus? Not so much; as for the plot, it never thickens. The true entertainment is in waiting for the resolution.
September 5, 2013
I have no idea why this movie has such a low rating it was an absolute joy to watch.
July 8, 2013
Thought provoking! I enjoyed it....the swearing was a little hectic but the content called for it in some instances...
½ July 1, 2013
This little film directed by one of my favorite actors, Mark Ruffalo (who also starred in it), was somewhat disappointing. Although ridiculous, the storyline was actually an interesting concept in its infancy. But unfortunately, the longer it matured on the screen the more uneven in became until the storyline unraveled altogether. The acting and directing were solid and the visuals were there, which helped the film remain watchable all the way to its disappointing conclusion. I was sad to see a film with Ruffalo so poorly wasted. Do yourself a favor, stay away -- 4.5/10.
June 20, 2013
The plot fell off for a period of time. The film sometimes felt uninteresting. Its strong ending is what mainly kept it all together. Some of the characters were really fun to watch, others not so much. Overall, this movie was slightly above average.
June 12, 2013
I didn't know what this movie was all about but I kept watching. We have seen these types of movies nothing new. But this time it was directed by Mark Ruffalo. Great cast, good script, nothing memorable to write about.
½ May 18, 2013
A tad over-acted but interesting nonetheless.
May 13, 2013
Pour sa première réalisation, Mark Ruffalo livre un bon gros navet des familles, vide de sens, lorgnant vers l'absurde sans jamais convaincre son spectateur du bien-fondé de sa démarche. Non seulement Sympathy for Delicious est très mal réalisé mais il est en plus très mal joué (excepte Juliette Lewis) et incroyablement long. Très mauvais.
April 25, 2013
Mark Ruffalo's one and only directing experience, so I don't think it was all that bad but I like him better as an actor. The movie was okay, could have been better with maybe someone else as leading actor, the guy was annoying but then again, that was the point.
April 1, 2013
68%

Offbeat enough, just didn't click for me though.
February 8, 2013
Despite the powerful sense of place, "Sympathy for Delicious" unwinds a narrative thread that grows increasingly tattered and flimsy. I found this film had many flaws and it had a talented cast but i didn't find the film to live up to the potential it should have. I was dissapointed i say SKIP IT!!!
January 29, 2013
Overacted, overwritten, overwrought and unwatchable. Well that may not be quite fair, the cinematography is quite good except for the excessive shaky-cam. But the phony story is unbearable, the pseudo punks unbelievable and the fake priests are undeniable. Who finances trash like this? Save your 90 minutes.
January 14, 2013
good directorial debut from actor mark ruffalo
½ October 14, 2012
One of the best movies I've seen this year. This is criminally underrated.
Harlequin68
½ October 14, 2012
In "Sympathy for Delicious," Dean(Christopher Thornton, who also wrote), a paraplegic, is disappointed at the lack of results when he is dragged to see a preacher(John Carroll Lynch) by his friend Rene(Noah Emmerich). Dean gets more tangible results from Father Joe(Mark Ruffalo, who directed), a more down to earth man of god, who wants Dean to move out of his car and into an assisted living facility but Dean is holding out for an SRO. On a professional level, Ariel(Juliette Lewis) likes Dean's DJ work so much that she invites him into her band, over the objections of their manager Nina(Laura Linney) who has apparently never heard punk rock before. And that's when news of Dean's healing ability starts to leak out.

Mark Ruffalo is definitely one of the best actors around right now but sadly with his first directorial effort "Sympathy for Delicious," does not show the same level of aptitude, with a fondness for stunt casting and cliched shots of the Los Angeles River. To be fair, I do not think the most experienced of directors would have had much luck with this very uneasy mix of magic realism and rock and roll. So as much as I appreciate any effort to explore the plight of the homeless, wading into Ken Russell's old territory of music gods should never be for the faint of heart.
August 11, 2012
hmmmm, watching this now.
½ June 13, 2012
I enjoyed this movie, though I was thrown when it suddenly turned into a courtroom drama, but I thought the ending was satisfying
½ April 8, 2012
Watchable and not bad for a first outing by director Ruffalo. Linney's talent seemed wasted and this film was a bit too preachy for my taste. Once again Juliette Lewis plays a good drugged out character. I really didn't feel for any of the characters in the movie and i think that was what was missing.
April 6, 2012
Don't watch this movie it is horrible. Turned it off.