Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance Reviews

½ May 10, 2015
Not only is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance thrilling and violent, but it's also heart-warming and filled with compassion.
January 22, 2015
Out of the three Park Chan-wook vengeance films, this one is the weakest. Oldboy is probably one of the greatest foreign films of all time and one of my personal favorite movies. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is a very good movie, but not quite as good as Oldboy. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is just okay. It has the same style and (surprisingly) a lot more humor. Many of the familiar players from Oldboy, so the acting is very good as well. However, seeing all of these actors just made me wish I was watching Oldboy again.

It's probably not fair to compare Lady Vengeance to the other two movies. How could this ever live up to those movies? Still, I just found myself sitting and watching this movie and waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was expecting many twists and turns in the plot, but Lady Vengeance is the most straightforward plot of the trilogy. This doesn't really help when the plot is VERY similar to Kill Bill. I didn't really care for the Ms. Geum-ja character either. I didn't really sympathize for her (which I understand wasn't necessarily what Park Chan-wook was going for) so I didn't really care if she ended up with her daughter again or got her vengeance (in fact, I expected it to be revealed she was more sinister and devious than she was letting on).

It's just a weak plot, even if on the surface it has all the makeup that made Oldboy so good.
November 30, 2014
Immaculate visuals. Composition, framing, colours. It's a beautiful film, perhaps just as if not more stunning as Oldboy. Though the story just didn't catch my attention as much as Oldboy did. Lee Young Ae's performance was perf. Another amazing soundtrack by Jo Yeong Wook again. It doesn't have the same intensity as Oldboy but emotions are rampant.
½ November 22, 2014
Park Chan Wook's exceptional direction give a heart and a soul to this movie. The script, with great ideas, is as smart, interesting, and violent as expected.
November 16, 2014
amazing movie. this is a work of art in so many ways. phenomenal directing. so many different levels to this movie. awesome original smart story that takes you where you don't expect. great music that sets a perfect tone for the movie. i normally dont care much for this but great symbolism/metaphors/imagery, etc so emotional and so meaningful, made you feel with the characters.

I loved the white tofu in the beginning that she refused because she knew she was going to sin and the white cake that looked like tofu at the end, when she put her face in it to show what i think means she wants to be good. Also after she completes her plan she sees the ghost of the child she helped kidnapped to see if she has achieved redemption but the gag on the child ends up in her mouth showing that she still doesn't feel redeemed or deserving of forgiveness. the birthday cake for all the dead children was very moving. is she an angel or a devil??? (2 views)
November 11, 2014
The final film in Park Chan-wook's Revenge trilogy follows the story of Lee Geum-Ja who after serving 13 years in prison for kidnapping and killing a young boy, is released and with the help of some of of her former inmates plots revenge on the real killer.
As with the previous two films, Chen-wook weaves a fascinatingly puzzle of a plot, slowly revealing Geum-ja's plan.
Stunningly shot. Great cast. A cleverly grim, but all off screen, comeuppance.
Quite the trilogy. Why bother with a remake, Hollywood? Oh I forgot, you can't read.
November 3, 2014
Park Chan Wook knows how to tell a story.

He always has me legitimizing the wrong doing. And if persuasion is the highest form of story telling, Park is a master.
½ October 12, 2014
I realize its ridiculous black humour side of narrative, & I don't like it.
½ September 8, 2014
Not as good as its predecessor "Oldboy" but and entertaining and twisted revenge romp.
August 31, 2014
Effin A. Best revenge movie I've ever seen.
August 30, 2014
Good film, particularly because of the direction, Park uses some nice quirks that ensures you never lose interest. This is the second film in the trilogy I have seen and If the last is as good as the other two then it may turn out to be one of the best trilogies ever made.
½ August 1, 2014
Gory gory man united
July 28, 2014
Stylish, emotionally engaging, and deeply disturbing are just a few words that describe this compelling story of vengeance and redemption. It contains many layers masterfully woven together and interesting characters. It also shows the ugly side of revenge without forgetting the humanity of those who carry it out in a way that I have never seen in a revenge film. Easily the best in the trilogy and a must see for fans of chan wook park's work.
July 23, 2014
A really well made movie all around love the direction & the cast, a revenge flick with a unique twist. "In France, when there's a break in conversation like this, they say an angel is passing over."
July 22, 2014
Très très bon film. Dans la veine de Old Boy du même réa.
½ July 10, 2014
I don't understand the bad reviews at all, fascinating movie but definitely not for everyone.
Be warned though - some scenes are very disturbing.
July 5, 2014
A fun but grim movie. Worth a watch.
June 26, 2014
A slow burn revenge film with a big pay off that was emotionally gut wrenching!
June 26, 2014
A tepid follow-up to the extravagant Oldboy. It offers no further exploration of its revenge themes, and banks mostly on Lee Young Ae's somewhat limited acting.