Table One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Table One Reviews

May 13, 2014
I saw this movie on HBO, and it was OK. Not an instant classic by any means. But for light-hearted comedy, its OK. Thing is, I don't really know what audience they were targeting with this movie. Usually, you can tell right away what type of audience a movie is targeting, but not this one. I'll guess that they were targeting male professional twentysomethings. I can't imagine it appealing to seniors, kids, or women.
Here is a quick rundown of the movie. Don't worry about accidentally reading a "spoiler". Its not that kinda movie. It takes place in NYC, I assume. Several friends are sick of the same ol' nightclubs that they are always hanging around in. They decide to open a place of their own and run it the way they think a place should be run. Thats about the first 10 minutes of the movie. They all go in on a new place, but since they need more money, they bring in a guy that happens to be a mobster. No big deal.
After the initial opening, the club kinda starts to go downhill. During this time, we get to see the goings-on with these guys as they hang out in their own new establishment. There's the professional hockey player, a couple of wall street brokers, a guy born into wealth who is trying to break into acting, another actor, and a couple of mobsters. They try their luck with a few women, have a visit from an established food critic, and other experiences. The laughs and/or chuckles come from the dialogue and the situations, which are silly but don't come off as utterly stupid, like some movies do, but come off as producing more of a groan than a laugh.
Like I said earlier, its a light hearted movie that isn't up to par with the great comedies, but it doesn't get boring like some comedies do with the same old tired predictable, re-hashed storylines. It doesn't take itself seriously, and provides a few light laughs, or good laughs, depending on your sense of humor.
½ September 15, 2008
Why was this movie made?
July 10, 2008
Don't even get me started with this movie!!!! I adored it!!!!! Loved every minute of it. Hilarious, sexy and smart.