Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War Reviews

August 10, 2013
amazing film. A masterpiece of film making
July 29, 2013
Better than Saving Private Ryan which was technically superb but I felt that the effort to find and repatriate the unworthy Pvt. Ryan wasn't worth the cost in lives expended even though the effort was to keep his mother from nlosing both her sons to the war effort.
½ July 26, 2013
omg the film is soo sad

i couldn't stop crying at the end
July 3, 2013
Great war movie; tearjerker.
½ May 27, 2013
Korea's Saving Private Ryan. Really worth watching.
½ May 27, 2013
A very very big Korean epic about two brothers trying to survive the Korean War. The action is honest and well-done, but extraordinarily violent and perhaps a little exhausting. It is a bit like watching the Omaha beach scene in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN over and over. The acting is even bigger and more dramatic than the fighting. Lots of melodrama, lots of screaming, and huge facial expressions dominate. The characters seem to be right out of dozens of American WWII movies. I almost expected to see a kid from Brooklyn wearing a Dodgers cap in the platoon. It is all well done, though, and very refreshing to see this oft-ignored war get a big-budget treatment. It is also interesting to see it from the Korean perspective. Americans are seldom mentioned and never seen.
½ May 5, 2013
It's a really depressing film that get's across the brutality of war. It's amazing.
½ April 2, 2013
Great film that illustrates the futility, carnage and madness of war, and so is a great anti-war film. In gut-wenching fashion, it shows the utter chaos of battle and the true meaninglessness of the ideologies for which each side is fighting to the men who do the fighting, as well as chronicling the way in which the violence to which they are subjected has a brutalizing effect on the soldiers. But what gives this movie a glimmer of hope is the way in which, at the end, the love of family still comes shining through.
March 23, 2013
This was generally a good film. Unfortunately, what was distracting were the crying scenes. Two in a film of this scope would've been enough, but a "tug at your heartstrings" scene every 20 minutes? Overkill. It's as if the director was trying to keep every eye wet in the audience. Maybe there was a sale on Kleenex at the concession stands he'd taken stock in. The battle scenes were extremely brutal and realistic, though. The music was a little schmaltzy and repetitive. Yes, this film is a lot like Saving Private Ryan, but in the hands of Spielberg, the overly sentimental content would've been lessened a bit. Despite the slightly aggravating over-emotional acting from younger brother Jin-seok, this is still a highly recommended film that will stay with your psyche long after the curtains have raised.
½ March 11, 2013
Super good South Korean movie. Will make you cry.
½ March 7, 2013
Very dramatic film about the true face of any war.
February 27, 2013
A war film equal if not better than western counterparts.
February 6, 2013
Country: South Korea
--------------------
It's been almost two months since I wrote a review(i am busy), but this film has moved me that I can't resist sharing my experience with others.

I am a big fan of war movies, and I was thinking that SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was the best, but i was wrong. In my opinion THE BROTHERHOOD OF WAR surpasses them all. Am I exagerating?! no..

What makes this movie special-at least for me- is:
-so realistic battle scenes and emotions showing horrors of war and not glorifying it like other movies.
-dealt not only with war crimes, but also with the government crimes towards its own people.
-asking what is patriotism and which bond is stronger;to one's family or to his country?
-great cast and smooth, yet powerful backgroud score-reminded me of the same effect of that of BRAVE HEART had on upon me.

Some Westerns may think of it as being kinda over-dramatic, but I see it's a part of the Eastern tradition in general, and actually it is justifiable here;the movie is more than some graphics which are very realistic.

NOTE: "The Korean War is an obvious example that there is no winner and loser in wars, only losers. There was no peace treaty, only a cease fire"
½ February 4, 2013
Two brothers forcibly drafted into the South Korean army to fight against advancing Communist forces in early 1950s find themselves in emotional and ideological conflict. Jin-seok is the younger of the two for whom the older brother, Jin-tae, has sacrificed to provide an education while working as a shoe-shine boy.

What follows is quite possibly the most gruesome anti-war film ever as the two brothers battle conflicting experiences of war and grow apart. So realistic and bloody are the battle scenes that it's almost like being there dodging bullets and shrapnel under Je-gyu Kang's spectacular direction.

A fantastic opportunity to see the Korean war from the POV of Koreans for a change, but what remains as the credits roll is an epic tale of the love between two brothers in which the casualties of war are laid bare for all to see.

Highly recommended.
January 23, 2013
great movie must see
½ January 9, 2013
best war movie ever made ( that i have seen of course)
½ December 31, 2012
while it may be overly sentimental for some audiences, tae guk gi stands out as one of the best, underrated war films to date. this movie has a solid plot, as well as brilliant execution, and reveals a new and often overlooked perspective of the horrors of warfare.
½ December 26, 2012
I didn't write this review; however It is very well written: The battle scenes are amazing in their scope and vehemence. But in the breaks between fighting, the movie reminds us that the costs of war can exceed the loss of life and limb.
½ December 17, 2012
No kpop no gangnam rise your gun and kill kill em all north korean badass hahhaah.
December 7, 2012
''Jin-tae: [pulls out Jin-seok's pen that he lost] I found this in the fire. I've been holding onto this for you.
Jin-seok: Give it to me... when I see you again.''

I wish this was all just a dream. I want to wake up in my bed, and over breakfast, I'd tell you that I had a strange dream. Then I would go to school, and you and mom would go to work.

Early, one Sunday Morning, in late June of the year 1950, was the beginning of a terrible turbulent conflict that would rip a people apart. Thousands of casualties, a whole unity of a nation being the biggest of all. Korea, a country still plagued by a guilty past, divided even to this day.

Told through the eyes of Jin-tae Lee, played by
Dong-Kun Jang and younger brother Jin-seok Lee played by Bin Won , who go to war and are cruelly ripped from their family and become embroiled in a war North against South.

The acting is sensational, the cinematography perfect, the battle sequences rivaling Saving Private Ryan and Letters from Iwo Jima possibly even surpassing them.

How do you criticize a masterpiece?
Answer is you can't.

Raw brutality, compelling humanity and even inhumanity. Emotional, powerful, shocking and some of the greatest scenes that had me getting teary eyed and come the film's climax crying my eyes out.

Ideologies, communism and capitalist imperialism. This film shows them for what they are, dangerous. There's always some cause of war be it religious beliefs/persecution or idealistic propaganda.

A gripping tale and account of two brothers and the meaning of sacrifice.

In my opinion it's the greatest brutal raw emotional film seen recently.

Still haunted by Jin-seok standing over the bones at the end and all the senseless killing, families divided, this demands to be watched.

For brotherhood, for family, for love shining through and a journey of emotion and epic proportions.