Reviews

• Jul 11, 2013

Bits of comedy, Yuen Woo-Ping, Jacky Wu, Christy Chung and a great finale spice up an otherwise bland mid-90's kung fu movie about the opium era. Contains the typical fight locations; bamboo forest, market street, docks, party, bridge, and of course, the two-story warehouse. Formulaic fun.

• Dean M Super Reviewer
    Oct 05, 2011

Awesome sequel of Jet Li's kung-fu epic film, but this is plenty of comedy with Jackie Wu who looks like a young Li as his martial arts are fast, crisp and smooth. His character is a bit of a smartass, but it works well within the story. Its a cute story and every five minutes of so...boom great martial arts sequences! Yuen Woo-Ping has directed another highly entertaining period kung-fu movie and the story is fairly typical, revolutionaries and opium smugglers in turn-of-the-century China. Yu Hai and Billy Chow also show up and do some impressive moves. There are a lot of wires as well as authentic wushu and tai chi so be warned. I also liked the fact that there is actually a relationship in this movie that goes somewhere, something I rarely see in a kung fu movie. Sibelle Hu and Christy Chung are also pretty.

• Oct 05, 2011

• Jun 19, 2011

A very pleasing martial arts movie from Woo Ping Yuen. A young Jacky Wu plays Hok Man, son of a famous Tai Chi master who begins his adolescent adventures. Along the way, he learns from his parents, woos the girl, and faces off against dastardly a foreign villain and his bodyguards. I must say that this movie does everything right. When there aren't amazing choreographed fights, the characters are developed quite well. Hok Man has a very realistic and charming relationship with his overly strict father and easy going mother. A nice love triangle emerges in the middle, but they do not focus too much on that. By the time the final climax comes by, the characters are in their most vulnerable state of happiness and it ramps up the tension. As for the final fight scene, it is very reminiscent of "Once Upon a Time in China" (1991). The fight takes place in a warehouse, full of ladders and planks and all sorts of props used by the fighters. Seeing as Woo Ping Yuen also did the fight choreography for that film, it is fine. The final battle pits three villain versus three heroes, and they really take the time for each pair to fight and lets them breathe. They only cut to different fight when necessary, and it really flows well. A fine martial arts film that can be enjoyed by any martial arts lover.

• Apr 03, 2011

I'm sorry but the protagonist is highly unlikeable yet there are nice fighting scenes every once in a while.

• May 11, 2010

Took a slight while to find this on here as it's under the title 'Tai Chi Boxer' over here in the UK. Lovable characters and top action scenes make this lost classic worth a watch for all us kung fu cinema fans.

• Jan 05, 2009

[color=white][img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/87/132987.jpg[/img][/color] [color=white][/color] [color=white][/color] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Hawkman is an aspiring young man. He is the son of a nobleman who is also a martial arts expert. He is never allowed outside of his home without being accompanied by his parents. Now that he is a young adult, Hawkman is interested in women, the community, and his family legacy. Hawkman’s interests leads to more trouble than his family thinks he is ready for.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Mister, aren’t you a little old for all of this?”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Idiot, I’m still a virgin.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Yuen Woo-Ping, director of Wing Chun, Tai Chi Master, Fire Dragon, Iron Monkey, Drunken Tai Chi, The Magnificent Butcher, Dreadnaught, Drunken Master, and Snake and the Eagle’s Claw, delivers Tai Chi II. The storyline for this picture is okay but a bit all over the place. The action sequences are magnificent and Jacky Wu was stunning in this picture.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“I’ve been his wife for eleven years, that’s why I know his best moves.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Jackie Wu and Donnie Yen are two of my favorite current martial arts stars. I had heard good things about this movie and I was excited to see Wu’s second ever picture. Wu was outstanding in this film and Woo-Ping’s action choreography was stunning. I would rate this movie a step above Jet Li’s New Legend of Shaolin. This is worth your time if you are a martial arts fan.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Keep reading or I’ll stab your ass again.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Grade: B[/color][/size][/font]

• Feb 27, 2008

[b][url="http://www.alivenotdead.com/etchy/Tai+Chi+2-profile-98927.html"]Tai Chi 2[/url][/b] One of the upsides of being home sick is that it gave me the opportunity a chance to finally sit down and finish watching a DVD I started a few weeks back... 'Tai Chi 2'.... [img]http://www.alivenotdead.com/attachments/2008/02/23002_200802142044361.thumb.jpg[/img] For those who aren't familiar with it, 'Tai Chi 2' was actually former Beijing Wushu Team member Wu Jing's first stab at a feature film. The powers that be managed to get him a pretty opportunity too - Yuan Woo Ping directing, costarring Martial Arts cinema legends like [url="http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=4793&display_set=eng"]Yu Hai[/url] and [url="http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=4794&display_set=eng"]Ji Chun-hua[/url] (both veterans of 'Shaolin Temple') and HK's King of Kicks, [url="http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=7346&display_set=eng"]Billy Chow [/url](aka the bad guy in 'Fist of Legend', 'Dr. Wai' and 'High Risk' to name but a few). They also got some recognizable HK faces, including [url="http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=9792&display_set=eng"]Christy Cheung[/url] and [url="http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=4621&display_set=eng"]Sibelle Hu[/url] (you probably recognize her from 'Fong Sai Yuk'). [img]http://www.alivenotdead.com/attachments/2008/02/23002_200802142050551.thumb.jpg[/img] Despite that, it didn't do so well and it was 5 more years before Wu Jing went on to do another feature film (he did make a name for himself in Mainland Wu Xia TV series though). But it wasn't until 2004's SPL that he really 'broke through' to HK's market. I haven't watched this since the Laser Disc (yes laser disc) came out in 96... and I was a bit shocked how dated it seems... the colors and picture quality on my DVD were pretty faded... but none the less I enjoyed revisiting the movie and I think it stands the test of time pretty well. Its not a masterpiece, doesn't stand out too much compared to other films from the same genre made at that time... and the bad guy is not so scary, the final fight scene is a bit of a recycle of 'Wong Fei Hong', but despite all that, its entertaining and there's actually a good deal of comedy (thanks in part to Sibelle Hu as Wu Jing's mom). The martial arts are pretty good too of course: [img]http://www.alivenotdead.com/attachments/2008/02/23002_200802142050552.thumb.jpg[/img] On its own this movie should get a 4 or 5/10, but I think looking back at it 12 years later, and considering the cast, I think it deserves at least a few extra points... 6/10!

• Aug 15, 2005

[center][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]hey!!! i gotta tell ya... this movie is pretty funny and cool especially when Jacky Wu use Tai Chi moves!!!!:up: [/color][/font] [/center]