Taiyo no oji: Horusu no daiboken (Little Norse Prince)(The Great Adventure of Horus) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taiyo no oji: Horusu no daiboken (Little Norse Prince)(The Great Adventure of Horus) Reviews

½ September 2, 2010
A long time before Isao Takahata joined the Studio Ghibli team, he made this little film. Although this is a very average film, it does show the talent of this young animator, and for a film of this age it is drawn very well and is very detailed. They did cheat a bit with the animation as when the action really gets going the shots turn into stills, and suggest action without animating lots of technically stuff. I was also a little upset there wasn't an English dub on the DVD, most foreign films I hate dubbed, but when it comes to animation it doesn't really matter if they change the voices, you want to look the artwork and not the text at the bottom. Overall though this film is fine, but it's not for young children really, and for adults it's a little too babyish, but I'm glad I've seen it.
August 9, 2010
Horus, the main character that wasn't. The title should be "The boring life of Hilda the singer".
½ August 8, 2010
It seems like an unfinished, potentially great anime. i like the main storyline and some of the action sequences. But still-frame action sequence seemed inappropriate, and while hilda's character was good, it could have been accented better.
½ August 2, 2010
Yes, there was anime before Akira, and it was just as good. Yeah, the animation looks dated, but the story is a triumph. This film has a terrific multi-layered character-arcing plot that the likes of Disney can only dream of. Fans of anime and those who love a good story should make time for this. It's the best Scandinavian anime you'll ever see.
March 7, 2010
An interesting blend of Japanese folklore and Norse history, with a touch of genius from one of the animators that went on to become part of Studio Ghibli, this film was watched with rapt attention by the household five year old, and that is not only because he had to watch it with subtitles (the only version I could find was the original Japanese version with English subtitles). While the animation may show its age compared to what is newly available today, it is still easy to watch, and has many of the same themes you would expect to see with a Studio Ghibli film. Of course any film that combined Vikings with Japanese folklore was going to be a hit in our household, but I am sure this will appeal to a broad audience.
½ February 15, 2010
A little dated but aaaah... Watched the R2 English subtitled verson (not this one). Flep is such a brilliant name.
½ November 4, 2009
Technically this film is leagues away from the quality of films later produced by Takahata and Miyazaki at Studio Ghibli. Still it's a great little film with more depth than is first apparent. It's a shame Takahata encountered such resistance and lack of backing from the studio when making this film. It could have been so much more. At one point still frames replace the animation becuase they ran over budget in production! A landmark in anime nontheless.
September 13, 2009
In the begining there was the Little Norse Prince and Studio Ghibli was just starting and all was good.
If youre a fan of this studios work and want to see what it was like before all the cash- watch this. It's a great example of it kind.
August 24, 2009
1968 so long ago...nice story though
June 14, 2009
mmhhh ... le premier film des papas du studio Ghibli. Sympa mais sans plus. Et ce n'est pas forcément dü à l'äge sinon au scénario un peu .... léger ...
½ February 1, 2009
un tipo de animacin clsico una historia sin mayores sorpresas pero que trae a la mente toda una poca
½ December 21, 2008
I know little about Anime, and dont understand the historical importance of this film in terms of the genre's development. Some have remarked that the animation is dated, but to me, the rawness is some of the charm, and the creative impulse shines through. There is something powerful in the simplicity of the mountain man fighting the ice mammoth on cliff's end; of the stylized devil appearing on the horizon; and the latter third of the movie is where the film gains momentum...

Still, I found the plot too slow during the first half, and wish there was more explanation of elements including Horus' origin and that of the sun sword.
November 11, 2008
The animation shows its age, but the scenario and the characters are already showing that the authors will become the best. Hilda is particularly complex for an animé character.
½ November 10, 2008
Todo un clasico de la animacion, los dos lados de una misma moneda
October 31, 2008
this story talkind about united,Horus is a boy who are brave to attacks the ice demon,wherever the villagers dont believe he,but he still helping them,united is important and can solve things.
October 12, 2008
Takahata, like Miyazaki, can do no wrong in my eyes. Made before the legend of Ghibli, this movie still shines with everything we've come to expect from the greatest anime studio in the world - lovable characters, a gripping storyline, and tons of Takahata magic.
August 2, 2008
A really good and historically important movie.
I wrote a lot more but FaceBook deleted it.
See the excellent English fan sub on YouTube for yourself. 8/10
July 4, 2008
It shows it's age now, but it still shows the promise of what was yet to come from Studio Ghibli in regards to story telling.
½ June 17, 2008
A rare gem. It's a shame that the animation company had no money left to animate certain battle scenes, and had to cut a lot of scenes out, but what remains in the film is masterfully written material. Some execution is rough, but you'll see this movie basically remade in Hayao Miyasaki's later works such as Princess Mononoke.