Tajja - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tajja Reviews

December 21, 2014
The unique setting and fun characters keep you focused during their unexpected twists and interesting lives. Great gambling movie.
May 11, 2014
Fast-moving, stylized gambling tale.
½ July 18, 2013
Gino has a penchant for gambling, but loses his life savings and sister's alimony to a couple of swindlers. Seeking revenge, he finds gambling master Mr. Pyeong and learns his tricks. After getting mixed up with the dangerous Madam Jeong, the story goes back and forth between present day with his partner and his training days with Mr. Pyeong. After getting into games with a bunch of different shady sorts, it winds down into a suspenseful tale of greed, loyalty, and luck. It has a very similar style and tone to the gambling movies of the 80's, and its a solid piece of entertainment.
February 26, 2013
This is a great movie. I don't understand how this director has flown under my radar until The Thieves?
November 13, 2011
tad too long but otherwise entertaining enough for a gambling movie. (casinos and gambling - another genre that puts me to sleep. ) the good ensemble cast made the movie enjoyable to watch .
the actor who played goni - sorta like a korean version of kaneshiro, no ?
½ October 28, 2011
Fun, good cast, it does feel that it takes way too much time in telling the story, but the characters are well written and engaging. Kim Hye-Su made me touch myself several times.
½ January 8, 2011
Interesting, but a little bit too drawn out....
½ August 12, 2010
If there are cards, there will always be "Tajja" or better known in English as "Mechanics or Cardsharks." Players who with a sleight of hand can flip cards from underneath the deck or give you cards they want you to have.

Tajja, much like Rounders, is a movie about card players but rather than Poker, its Hwatu. Originally, invented by the Japanese (uh oh, did I say that? Better lay low. ;p) Hwatu or Hanafuda is a deck of 48 cards comprised of 12 suits (months of the year) with each suit having four cards. Each card has a picture with a different value. Popular Korean games played are "Go-Stop" and "Sutda."

As for the movie, Tajja was pretty entertaining. The movie had it all with game play, card tricks, high roller gambling, con artists, violence, sex, nudity, and a love story. The only draw back of the film was the disjointed editing which at times were abrupt and left this viewer saying "wait a minute how did we get to this scene?"

Nevertheless, all actors played their roles well with special mention going to Hye-su Kim (from Red Shoes), who not only looked good but played two or three characters convincingly. The ending of Tajja was also left somewhat opened ended for a possible sequel which may not be a bad idea.

In all, Tajja was a thoroughly entertaining movie to watch and is recommended for rental if you enjoy a well written card game movie. Understanding how to play Hwatu is unnecessary to appreciate this film, as the storyline has enough depth to keep you engaged. Though a Korean movie, the story is entertaining and can be enjoyed by all. (Not recommended for kids under 15 due to some nudity.)
February 28, 2010
plot dragged quite longer than necessary in my opinion, but here were several funny scenes and entertaining acting esp by the gambling masters.
January 12, 2010
first of all if you really wanna enjoy this movie then you gotta learn how to play this game. oncejyou know you can't hate this movie. best casts best story line. one o the best korean movie ever made
½ July 9, 2009
I saw it three times now, and I believe it gets better everytime. Based on a popular Korean comic by Young-Man Huh, Tajja is a stylish and speedy tale about chopped up hands, fingers, and indeed, the rollers. For many Koreans who are used to the stereotypes of gambling-crazed mothers losing their house mortgage while their husbands are at work or the mob who will cut your fingers off if you don't pay up, this movie isn't exactly about "the war of flower." Ironically, Koreans are fascinated by and scared of "Hwa-Too" because of the game's beliegerent and truculent nature. Regarding the name of the game ("Hwa-Too"), often the significance is on the loud, raw, and physical drive of the game ("Too"), and the movie has it all. However, for those who have felt the tiny plastic squares with flower prints on top that fit in the palm of one's hand, this movie is about what happens to the flowers once they are picked and thrown during the game.
April 11, 2009
After reading a number of praises about the movie, I watched it with ultra-high expectations. Sad to say, the movie failed to deliver. The movie was not bad but it lack a number of elements that would make it a great crime/thriller movie. It's a good watch though about the underground world of gambling in Korea. ^^
½ February 25, 2009
Good-looking, engrossing, ganster/gambling flick. Still, a bit too long at 2hrs 20mins.
August 20, 2008
Stylish with substance korea version of 21.. in my opinon.. for adults
July 7, 2008
this is kinda like a korean version of "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"

uber cinematic!
June 28, 2008
Grande cinema coreano tutto da scoprire.. fotografia di grande qualita.
June 3, 2008
An interesting glimpse into the high-stakes underworld of Korean gambling. A thoroughly engrossing and very well done film.
May 7, 2008
Very well made gambling/gangster movie. The excellent acting of the lead actor and actress certain contributed to its success. This film has a fair dose of violence so be prepared for some uncomfortable scenes.
½ April 9, 2008
very interesting.

i didn't know such a world existed.
½ April 6, 2008
Nicely illustrates the all-consuming highs and lows of high-stakes gambling.