Taking Liberties - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Liberties Reviews

½ May 13, 2011
"Britain has become the 51st American State"
½ October 27, 2009
Quite scary showing how now our civil liberties have been eroded. And very informative. Tho ironicly it seems this was not due to a conspiracy but to general incompetance on behalf of Blair and his government.
½ August 3, 2009
Everyone in the UK should watch this. Made my blood boil with a lot of the things hightlighted on there. One possible critcism is that it maybe went into too much detail a few times. Very similar in makeup to "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Age of Stupid". Definitely recommended.
July 14, 2009
If more people saw this documentary then the UK would be a much better place and everyone would have a greater understanding of why our civil liberties (things like having the right to freedom of speech and the right to privacy) are so important in the fight for democracy. In this day and age many member of our government seem to have forgotten that protecting civil liberties should be the fundemental issue when it comes to 'protecting the people', rather than slowly getting rid of them and claiming it is for our own good. I'm not sure how taking away a persons right to a fair trail, letting them be taken away from their homes, families, countries, etc, and then allwonig them to be tortured is really going about ensuring their protection.
It was also well researched and almost well balanced (in terms of the difference in people interviewed - campaigners, politicians, human rights leaders, etc) for a documentary. And it was most certainly thought provoking, I don't think I'll be able to sleep for hours I'm that pent up over the state of the government right now.
I'd certainly recommend this documentary if you're interested in human rights and politics and I'd recommend it if you weren't. Even if it is not what you are really interested in it will still make you think and hopefully value your civil liberties that little bit more.
½ April 28, 2009
Presenting occasionally deeply flawed arguments, and the comparisons with Nazi Germany are over the top, but this is at times a deeply worrying portrait of modern Britain
July 16, 2008
entertainingly one-sided
June 17, 2008
Possibly the most important film of the year!
June 16, 2008
it's an important documentary... it's just not a good one.
June 5, 2008
What are your liberties? Do you know? Most people speak of freedom of speach, but there is no dissent when Walter Wolfgang famously while shouting "non sense" during Jack Straw's speech at the Labour Party Conference. According to Chris Atkins‚?? documentary, thats exactly why the Labour goverment has been able to secretly remove them, in order to make Britian a police state.

Focusing on the Terrorism Act of 2000, which was passed to ‚??protect‚?? the people of Britain, Atkins uses interviews with victims and people punnished for seemingly nothing. The cases brought up by Atkins are numorous, and are hard-hitting. From a bus-load of protesters being re-directed home, to the elderly ladies being arrested for being ‚??near‚?? (miles away) an American Base, the examples are clearly emotionally aimed, to strike at our cores and rouse the audience.
Which is the problem. Explicitly partisan, Atkins‚?? polemic gives little or no voice to its opponents and borders on agit-prop in its desire to expose. While it may expose, it offers no positive voice for its enemy, and the possible good actions the Act has had on our public safety in the UK.
The film is also flawed in the sense that it uses two narrators and some arguments are flawed, even with the edvidence before the audience.

However, despite this, the film serves as a calling-to-arms and the passion behind the film cannot be understated and the lack of slick, entertaining actually supports the film‚??s rawness. As such, while flawed, the impassioned, angry attitude of rebellion inspires, rather than denies.
June 4, 2008
Interesting documentary about how the New Labour government has eroded our civil liberties since taking over in 1997. Presents itself as the British answer to Fahrenheit 9/11, and it's not quite as slick. Presents a very unbalanced argument too, offering little in the way of the other side for discussion.
June 2, 2008
An excellent film that should be watched by everybody living in the UK. They lose it at the end going on about america but still very interesting.
½ May 8, 2008
It's got one or two interesting elements (the Ricin plot being the one that stood out the most in my mind), but other than that, the film presents nothing that was new to me. Which is slightly disappointing - the point of the documentary, in my opinion, shouldn't be merely to summarise what is already widely known, but to illuminate things that aren't. As an executive summary of the erosion of civil liberties in the UK, the film is very good. As entertaining, illuminating, mindbending documentary, it falls rather flat...
½ May 7, 2008
Not so much a conspiracy theory as blatant facts on the public record, presented to you for your consideration. Loses half a star because some of the editing isn't totally objective.
April 6, 2008
Inspiring, pretty well done political documentary with lots of shocking content and plenty of motivating calls to action! Pace is occasionally off but I never started to cringe (e.g. as I do sometimes in Michael Moore documentaries).
March 25, 2008
Provocative, but justifyably so. For anyone interested in global politics, fascism, Big Brother societies or simply worried about their personal freedom... Well worth watching.
March 22, 2008
Brings up important points, uses some good examples. However very one sided, does really give depth or carry investigative weight as ingores anything that doesn't fit the attack it wants to make. However there are points here that do need to be taken notice of.
March 6, 2008
I think this is an important movie for everyone to see. The extent of certain infringements on civil liberties were unknown to me prior to seeing this, and I feel rather shocked and saddened after seeing it.
½ March 1, 2008
I thought this was a well put-together film, overall. It's very clear where the filmmaker is coming from (whether you like it or not) and what exact issues he is addressing in every section. Though Atkins claims he only wanted to make a film that would shock people into reacting, I would have liked, still, for some more talk with experts to theorise about different directions the UK might go in the future. After all, when this film was made, Blair was on his way out.