Taking Liberties - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Liberties Reviews

February 27, 2008
Obviously this has an ideological agenda, but I just couldn't help getting really worked up over what it was showing...guaranteed to raise your bloodpressure.
½ February 22, 2008
I can't help but think all the four and five star reviews are more for the subject matter than for how this particular documentary is put together. To me personally what they are discussing is vitally important and the more attention is drawn to the liberties we have lost the better but having been looking forward to this for a while I was keenly disappointed in the first few minutes. Do we really need the sixth form-art students black and white menu with the overt comparisons to Nazi Germany? This is a comparison they make though out the documentary until you just want to say ‚??Well, no, we‚??re not living in Nazi Germany are we, because if we were everyone involved in the making of this documentary and all the political dissidents (and I include myself in that) would have been tortured and then killed. I can‚??t help but feel this argument is just lazy. With no differences in the two main parties at the moment the job of opposition falls to us. We have to question and fight the government. As Mark Thomas says we are the checks and balances ‚?? but if we can‚??t raise our game to better arguments than the ones thirteen year olds use we are in trouble.

There are also serious questions to be raised in the editing such as in the sequence critiquing (rightfully) the media for using the image of a wounded man to sell us on the idea of longer and longer detention times (something the man in question absolutely opposes). Seconds later they are discussing a police raid and they introduce a clip of a massive guy, all in black, gas mask, flak jacket etc smashing through a window. Police footage? No, they‚??ve edited in a scene from a drama or film to emote an emotional response so you are more susceptible to they‚??re way of thinking. Pot ‚?? Kettle ‚?? Black. When all this is said and done however the production values are good and you can‚??t fault the effort put into it. I found the scene where the WW2 RAF veteran was dragged off particularly hard to watch and I would definitely say it kept my attention for the full running time.

The makers would do well to check out Outfoxed or Uncovered: The war on Iraq, in particular in which cold hard facts are meticulously used to dissect every reason, half truth and outright lie foisted on us in the run up to Gulf War 2.
February 14, 2008
A Must for enyone who really believes in democracy. A scary and informative film that should be forcibally shown to the whole of the UK
½ February 10, 2008
Everyone in the UK has to see this film. Thought provoking, frightening, very informative and oh so relevant
½ February 4, 2008
Thought provoking and eye-opening documentary about the ongoing reduction in civil liberties in the UK.
January 13, 2008
This is a frightening film. We know that our civil liberties are being taken away from us, but the majority of the UK are doing nothing. What will it take for us ALL to stand up and fight back.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund burke.
A worrying look at how New Labour have eroded our civil liberties since 9/11
January 13, 2008
suprising and a bit manipulative but just the way i like documentaries
January 10, 2008
Everyone in the uk should watch this
January 8, 2008
Informative and entertaining if ultimately quite depressing.
½ January 1, 2008
Well compiled documentary detailing the erosion of civil liberties in the UK over recent years by legislation.
December 22, 2007
Everyone in Britain should be forced to watch this movie. It should be shown in every school and town hall. Coaches and aeroplanes and those screens in city squares should screen this constantly instead of the weather. I'm willing to back this movie with violence if necessary.

Oh, wait...
December 11, 2007
Frank, illuminating and very well-composed (though not too surprising) compilation of all the various ways the Blairite government raped away our civil liberties over its ten year span. With Gordon Brown in office, I see a sequel in the making, totalitarian twat he seems. On a slightly lighter note, I rather like the animations that underline the history lessons dotted throughout this docu-flick. An essential watch for those who actually give a shit about securing their liberties from the encroachments of Slave Britannia.
½ December 10, 2007
Really interesting documentary.. It really shows you how sick this world is getting and how little there is to do about it. I wish it talked more about the North American system and not so much Europe, but I guess that day will eventually come..
December 10, 2007
Really interesting movie - I recommend seeing it to everyone - makes you realise what is really happening!
December 6, 2007
At the end of the day, this is a propaganda movie, and none of the content will come as a revelation to anyone who follows the news, but by presenting it all in one place Atkins manages to bring home just how scary, and sneaky, Labour's gradual erosion of our civil liberties has been. He's probably preaching to the converted, but he sure makes you want to do something about it! Fantastic animations too.
December 3, 2007
great documentary,showing the erosion of our civil liberties from right under our noses, on the lines of michael moore, you've got to see this if you live in the u.k and prepare to get p%&@ed off!!
November 21, 2007
Good documentary, but in the same way as with Michael Moore's films this film comes to the right conclusions but doesn't make its arguments clearly, doesn't answer any basic counters, and often resorts to emotional arguments.
½ November 18, 2007
If you care about the future of your country you must see this film.
November 15, 2007
well worth watching - are we sleepwalking into a police state? you decide.....