Taking Chance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Chance Reviews

August 14, 2016
Emotionally taxing at times. I liked seeing a behind the scenes view of how military deaths are handled. I liked it, but also thought why don't the families have more say in how the body is buried etc... or maybe they do. Kevin Bacon was great a little too reminiscent of a Few Good Men. If you want a slow emotionally tolling movie check it out.
July 27, 2016
Great movie. A must watch for everyone.
June 18, 2016
This s a must see for everyone that partakes of the freedoms we have in this country.
June 3, 2016
Real life no Hollywood
May 30, 2016
One of THE best movies about who paid and for what.
WELL acted and loved the whole thing,EXCEPT for the TSA asshat that would have gotten a knuckle dusting if I saw that happen = and no,dont care if I got arrested for that.
May 29, 2016
This is a powerful, moving story about a Marine Officer who volunteered to escort the remains a fallen PFC to his family and funeral. I had never heard of it and merely bumped into it as I was looking at potential movies for the holiday weekend. It is brutal in its honesty and will make you appreciate the spirit of Memorial Day.
March 12, 2016
Excellent movie
Everyone should see it
January 3, 2016
One of the very best, touching, gripping movies I have ever seen.
½ December 8, 2015
One of Kevin Bacon's finest! I cry like a baby every time I watch it.
½ July 2, 2015
This movie was something that I stumbled upon while flipping through the on demand choices and it was able to get through it with company.
It was very strong as it hit some emotional cords for me having served in the combat theater, and then dealing with families via the chaplain service. Kevin Bacon did a very respectable and honorable portrait of a warrior's last ride to his home of record. It is not meant to uplifting or inspiring type of film, at least the way I felt after watching it. I was probably more raw than other viewers but my wife xsaid she thought it was good, and it helped her to understand a little more about the huge sacrifice that some have made that is lost in the background of the 20 second newsbites, between episodes of reality TV shows of the Kardashians, Survivor or Dr. Phil.

Sempre Fidelis
May 20, 2015
I watched this film for my Film Appreciation class, I thought it was a very emotional film that payed a great compliment to our servicemen and women. I heard from some people who said they didn't enjoy this movie, but that just proves to me that some don't respect those who serve and protect our freedom. Many people may ask is it a chick flick or a film that everyone would like? I personally believe that any gender, or race would enjoy this movie for the reason that it follows Lt. Col Strobl's journey taking a heroic, fallen solider home. This movie is rated PG, but I wouldn't suggest it to children under 12 for the fact that younger children may not understand the whole story line, and the emotional aspects. This film may be extremely emotional, but emotional films can be loved by any gender.
May 19, 2015
Possibly one of the most emotionally moving films I have ever seen, this one actually got to me a good bit. Kevin Bacon is phenomenal in the lead role and the writing is really strong. This one is just as long as it needs to be, which I really appreciate. They didn't add a bunch of extra fluff to make it longer, because the story needed nothing else to be added to it. Based on a true story, the emotional impact of this one is certainly bolstered by it and really does a great job portraying all that surrounds the death of a soldier and their journey home. A somber film from beginning to end, it does not just tackle the issue of burial, but also of regret, both from those at home and abroad during war. One of the more compelling "war" films I have seen in recent times, Taking Chance is criminally underseen.
April 22, 2015
Tuesday, February 26, 2013

(2009) Taking Chance
DRAMA

While "2009 The Messengers" starring Woody Harrelson showcases how people from the US are notified after their sons/daughters are killed in action from war, "Taking Chance" from HBO is about how those victims of war once brought back to the US are presented before being buried, and I have to say that it's subtle and it's very felt since we the audience are the observers and are curious about US traditions regarding how they honor and bury their fallen. Based on the journals of Sgt Michael Strobl, played and narrated by Kevin Bacon may be my favorite film he's ever done, thus far. At the start, which is a bit slow, showcases how the fallen once returned to the US are preserved and presented before being ready for burial. As the narrator barely says anything, the only thing he does do is observes the experience as he volunteers to escort the body of 19 year old Marine Chance Phelps back to his hometown of Dubois, Wyoming. Some of the most moving scenes was when Sgt Strobl(Kevin Bacon) submits the remnants to the grieving family of the deceased and then respectfullly leaves them alone, and the scene when he crosses paths with another military escort who was escorting his brother. This is probably the most courteous way to escort a fallen soldier which has not always been the same for all soldiers but that is what it was like only according to him, and we the viewers want to sympathize and grieve with him too without any interruptions. I feel this film should've gotten a theatrical release since it's impact is nothing like it was ever shown before and should be watched by George Bush since he was President during the time this film was based on which was 2004.

This film gets 4 out of 4 stars
February 20, 2015
I had been told first hand accounts of this tradition, but watching it was awesome. If you can watch this movie and not shed a tear, or find fault in the acting, your heartless. Kevin Bacon makes you believe this kids life meant so much more than he was given credit for, and yup, made me cry, more than once.
January 24, 2015
I think this was the most moving movie that I have ever seen. I had no idea what was involved in taking a soldier home. It truly touched me in a way that is hard to explain, except that I now have a different view of the military ways. Thank you Kevin Bacon for Taking a Chance on this role.
December 27, 2014
An extremely emotional film that captures the heroism of our military.
December 20, 2014
Outstanding-thank you Chance Phelps for your service to your country. And thank you Kevin Bacon for a great performance.
November 24, 2014
Great movie that depicts just how far the military goes to honor the fallen. I strongly recommend this movie.
November 10, 2014
This is a very good movie and meaningful to all Americans. A must see.
November 2, 2014
If I could give more stars I would. This movie is a great tribute to one of the many service men and women that have died in war for our country. Regardless of your political views this movies is about the courage, honor, and ultimate sacrifice these men and women make when they sign up for the services. As a Navy vet this movie made me cry repeatedly at seeing the care and honor that people displayed to a fallen hero. May God bless this and all service members families.