The Talented Mr. Ripley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Talented Mr. Ripley Reviews

January 1, 2016
Great cast in a very intelligent, but dark, film.
December 23, 2015
Brilliantly acted. Matt Damen nailed creepy. Every scene was intellectually engaging to watch Damen's character Mr. Ripley engaging in each scene while simultaneously carrying out an alternate agenda. He manipulated everyone like a master puppeteer.

Jude Law played a carefree elitist beautifully. You wanted to be his friend.

Finally Gweneth Paltrow had fantastic emotional range. She's the most empathetic character. You really feel her pain.
December 16, 2015
Completely and utterly captivating from start to finish. A dark and twisted look into the mind of the disturbingly compelling Tom Ripley that is guaranteed to keep audiences on the edge of their seats.
½ December 12, 2015
Led by the most-charming, creepy and emotional performance possibly ever by Matt Damon, this movie has a suspenseful and exciting story of deceit and lies.
½ December 10, 2015
It's a secret between us.

In the 1950s Thomas Ripley is an Ivy Leaguer that is hired by a rich man to go to Italy and retrieve his son. He is asked to bring the son back to America. Thomas initially fails so he decides to best friend the son, and become brothers as they travel across Europe. Things become complicated when the son wants no part of Ripley.

"You should always save pain for daylight."

Anthony Minghella, director of Cold Mountain, Truly Madly Deeply, Breaking and Entering, The English Patient, and Mr. Wonderful, delivers The Talented Mr. Ripley. The storyline for this picture is very entertaining and intricate. The characters are dynamic and play out very well. The cast delivers excellent performances and includes Matt Damon, Jud Law, Gwenyth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

"Tommy, how's the peeping?"

I recently came across this on HBOGO and decided to give it a viewing. I've seen better films with this premise, but this is entertaining with some unpredictable sequences. The ending is a bit farfetched, but the movie does come together nicely. I recommend seeing this once.

"You're the brother I never had. I'm the brother you never had."

Grade: B+/A-
November 2, 2015
If you can get over white privilege and 1% problems, this is a really intriguing film. Watch as Matt Damon displays his many talents impressions, piano playing and pathological lying. Jude Law is the apple of everyone's eye of course. Gwyneth Paltrow puts the pieces together and it would have been heartbreaking if Jude Law wasn't ego-centric, dickhead to everyone.
½ October 27, 2015
This doesn't stand up to repeat viewing really. After an engaging opening half an hour credibility is just gradually stretched well past breaking point. Matt Damon is as Law's character clearly states before getting his head bludgeoned in 'just a bit dull'...'you can be very dull'...yes Matt, yes you can.
½ October 24, 2015
Un bon film sur la manipulation malgre des longueurs.
½ October 23, 2015
A dark story that toys with your emotions, drawing you right in and then leaving you drained; a great storytelling.
½ October 21, 2015
One of Matt Damon's finest and creepiest performances in this thriller.
½ October 13, 2015
Surprising, twisted, well acted, a dark tale well told. As I recall, the ending was a bit shocking. Not for kids.
October 3, 2015
Like the film's posh and brilliantly-realized protagonist, "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is an elegantly complex number that moonlights as something much more sinister. Part crime caper, part fiendish descent into Hell, the movie excels at expanding a seemingly simple situation into a tantalizing web of deceit and irony. Major points go to Matt Damon, for making the titular character not only watchable, but - most notably - likable. Truly fine filmmaking all around.
½ September 17, 2015
Psychological thrillers no matter how good or bad are always bound to be rich with twists, turns and shocking fantasies. But, no thriller today borders on the threshold of the realistic, as many utilise the mysterious to truly appeal to your psyche. Not The Talented Mr Ripley. This film deals with humans in plain view committing dreadful sins for personal gain, and if that is not enough the main character is the villain perpetrating these deeds. Based on Patricia Highsmith‚??s novel of the same name and released in the 1950‚??s, this tale was always going to be more original than novels or films that are made today. The fact that the author was the foremost writer of psychological thrillers during the 1950‚??s comes as no surprise therefore that The Talented Mr Ripley is rich with a unique storyline and characters, because considering this Ripley novel was the first of the collection of books known as the Ripliad, and her first career novel was snapped up by Alfred Hitchcock in Strangers on a Train proves that her stories are recognised best-sellers and bound to fascinate audiences with gruelling studies-of-humanity tales.

This freaky tale tells the story of a young man named Tom Ripley, who is talented in the form of using his abilities of forgery, lying and impersonation for personal gain. Mistakenly thought to be a past student at Princeton University, a wealthy man named Herbert Greenleaf requests he travel to Italy to convince his wayward son, Dickie, to come home, whilst being paid for his endeavours. As Ripley wriggles his way into the life of Dickie Greenleaf, he becomes almost a leech. Dickie warns him after their last escapade in Rome, he will be parting ways from him. Outraged, Ripley murders Dickie and assumes his life far away from where he could be caught. But as his lie grows fonder, the suspicions grow thicker‚?¶ but how long can Ripley keep this farce up without the Italian police, a private instigator and Marge Sherwood, Dickie‚??s lady, uncovering his true identity.

The way I think of it is that this film is divided into two parts: Ripley the genius vs. Ripley the murderer, whilst the overlying notions of forgery, dishonesty and homosexuality warp this tale into disconcerting territories for the audience. The first part is perhaps more light-hearted, if you‚??d prefer to call it that, as Ripley infiltrates his way into the hedonistic lifestyle of Dickie, whilst the second half of the film gets far more gloomier as Ripley attempts to cover his tracks while still remain in his ideal fantasy. As you can see the film grows darker, but not once are you defeated by this change for altogether it makes The Talented Mr Ripley such a powerful film that can lead you to question the very fabric of humanity.

All these young actors at the time in their late twenties are now in their mid-40‚??s and make up a part of the Hollywood elite. Through each character, Ripley‚??s persona evolves into someone deadlier, with less hope of saving than what he was before, making this character study psychologically revealing, hence the genre. Matt Damon is the infamous Tom Ripley, who can be described as the definition of creepy. His skinny white body, large goofy glasses and teeth, and the tendency to stare at himself in the mirror and impersonate people are just brief ways of his eeriness. He is the opposite of a fiend in the way he looks or even acts, but his activities and twisted mind reveal itself to be truly monstrous; an evil that is perhaps deadlier than a quick death because Matt Damon lies his way to his personal prize. Gwyneth Paltrow‚??s Marge Sherwood is the damsel at the heart of this horror story that destroys her life. Paltrow looks and acts like always, but this character requires her emotional power to come to the fore towards the end and she destroys it with quivering distress. Jude Law stars as Dickie Greenleaf with such a verve and passion for life that you can‚??t help but wonder at how he steals the first part of the film. Law was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for this role and it shows!

Set entirely in Italy, the film is almost a tour of how beautiful the land of the boot can be, and by the looks of this film, it is heaven. If you aren‚??t swayed by its beauty then you‚??re obviously either watching the film on a sunny, beautiful beach or are rich and have been and can go whenever to basically anywhere. Along with the bombastic addition of 1950‚??s jazz, with songs such as Renato Carosone‚??s ‚??Tu Vu√≤ F√† L‚??Americano‚?? being bellowed out loud by Jude Law, The Talented Mr Ripley is undeniably a beautiful film that absorbs you in to the place where it is all happening. However like in reality, time is slow, therefore this film suffers because the pacing is far too slow for the film to sell itself completely to you. It‚??s as if the filmmakers got caught up in the richness of the tale and hypnotised by the beauty of the surroundings! The camera prefers to linger in scenes and truly get to the core of how the characters are feeling, as we are given plenty of moments for trying to understand who these characters actually are, and its often not a pleasant revelation as some characters, especially Ripley, are disturbing folk. This sluggishness almost acts as a revelation for the complexity of the storyline, because as the story gently veers towards its moment of downward spiral, the complexity of each moment divulges just how important each scene is in the development of the characters.

The effect The Talented Mr Ripley has is by far its best feature for it can seriously entangle your mind in the perverse treacheries of Ripley‚??s sinful plans. The beauty of the surroundings and the stars will comfort your soul and almost guarantee in your mind a safe journey to the end of this story, but as Tom and Dickie sail into the open waters and Dickie reveals his relationship with Tom is nearing its end, there is an underlying feeling of concern and uneasiness that this beautifully constructed atmosphere and the characters that inhabit it will take a turn that cannot be returned from. As your worst fears come to fruition, The Talented Mr Ripley emphasises the true power of psychological thrillers. This split second in the film will leave you distressed for the remainder of Ripley‚??s digression into murder and stolen identity, for his desire to be Dickie reveals his true colours; but our disgust for our protagonist is not enough to deter our attention from focusing purely on Ripley. There is a feeling that Ripley‚??s cover-up will always be revealed by the people he has previously met, and this tip-toeing around the truth is tiring but oh so entertaining because you just don‚??t know what will happen‚?¶ just that you will be gripped for all the 2 hours and 18 minutes the film consists of. It essentially becomes a cat and mouse game around Italy for a dead guy who is actually alive, but actually isn‚??t because his identity has been taken by his friend, who killed him‚?¶

But, after all this conniving mayhem takes place, it becomes rather difficult not to wonder how Ripley‚??s plans could even work for as long as they have‚?¶ Surely in the 1950‚??s people weren‚??t that stupid? Well, the Italian polizia might have provided this tale with the factual solidity it needs. Never mind this, it cannot be denied that The Talented Mr Ripley has set a high benchmark for thrillers.

The Verdict:

With such brutally conniving characters and a densely twisted plot that can truly disturb, The Talented Mr Ripley has shown what the essence of a psychological thriller really is.

‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚?? 9/10
½ August 19, 2015
8/28/2015: An amazing cast, but a generally boring movie!
½ July 31, 2015
The film that Alfred Hitchcock didn't get to make. I think if he (Alfred Hitchcock) were alive when this film came out he would have gave it his personal nod of approval. He would also probably be mad as hell that he didn't make it.
½ July 31, 2015
It's got its moments of suspense, but The Talented Mr. Ripley loses itself along the way, not knowing which route to take
July 30, 2015
"Tom is talented."

Rarely does a movie stay with me, stir me, or move me as much as the ending to this film did. I will always remember it, and it will always disturb me... but in the good way. Not often does a film really reach me the way this one has. It was effective, unsettling... and tragically depressing when all said and done. And I liked that about it. It really told a fantastic story.

Tom's life is all about choices: choosing between his real life and his double life, choosing between the truth and lies, choosing between love and death. While we know that Tom's choices are very different than a lot of ours, we can also say that we have a little Tom in all of us. We have that basement with demons in it. We look for someone to give the key to.

I can't say much else without giving the story or ending away, other than wow. I can't believe I've gone so long without seeing this, and I'm glad I finally did. It's become one of my new favorites, alongside Oldboy and American Psycho.
July 29, 2015
Matt Damon and Jude Law give performances that make this film what it is. The conflicts and the moments where Tom is yearning for attention gives us a sympathetic feeling for him. Powerful, poignant, and incredible.
½ July 27, 2015
Matt Damon's outstanding performance alongside an excellent cast makes this unsettling thriller a memorable cinematic experience.
July 26, 2015
Any praise for this movie is too little. The screenplay is adapted so well from the book that is almost feels like new material altogether. If you've seen the first movie take on the book, the French version "Plein Soleil", or "Purple Noon" as it is known in English, then you will really appreciate the extent of Minghella's genius and creativity in storytelling. A must see, by all means!