Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie Reviews

January 11, 2017
I love this kind of movie.... childish. gory and scaryish.... nov/01/2016
October 18, 2016
I wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The first adjectives that come to mind are old/outdated, hokey, and ridiculous. It felt like a compilation of episodes from a mediocre early 90s T.V. show (maybe it is), lumped together for a "special" VHS Halloween release. The first segment , the mummy one with Julianne Moore is alright, but the next two I'd strongly recommend just missing.
½ October 16, 2016
I remember this being scarier when I was younger! Worth watching, though. The gore is at an all time high, however the stories could've been told smoother. Each tale had potential that it never lived up to. It did bring me back though and I jumped a few times too! I could just be a softy! Lol!
October 5, 2016
Loads of talented people acting in some very moronic "tales". Nothing about this film is scary.
August 29, 2016
One of my favorite anthologies as a child.
August 29, 2016
One of my favorite anthologies from when I was a kid. Not for the Squamish, very violent but very fun
½ April 11, 2016
Historias medianamente interesantes, pero tampoco nada que te vaya a sorprender mucho o dar miedo, por así decirlo. Eso sí, un gran uso de efectos prácticos.
February 12, 2016
Decent movie, some stories were better than others but overall it was cool. 3/5 OR 6/10
January 28, 2016
'Tales From the Darkside: The Movie' left me shaken and a little stirred like the way a martini would be at the bar. Its problem lies in its laughability at times and how the actors in the 'Lot 249' segment feel as if they are tired of being given this script to do. My hope is the show is actually better. But this movie makes for great entertainment for horror and anthology fans
January 23, 2016
Kind of a hokey horror-comedy, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is too tongue-in-cheek for its own good. In the film a suburban witch is entreated to three tales of horror by a young boy that she's preparing to cook. However, the stories are rather lame; a mummy that comes to life, a killer cat that won't die, and a gargoyle that falls in love. The writing is really poor, and is full of clichés and painfully bad stereotypes. Yet, the cast is surprisingly good, and includes Christian Slater, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore, and James Remar. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is mildly entertaining, but it just isn't able to pull off the campiness and clever wit of the television series.
½ January 10, 2016
i share the seem feelings towards this one as i did "Creepshow"; almost seems like it's a spoof when i watch it now -- but i wonder what my thoughts would be if i were to watch it in 1990. again, SO many big name actors in these! (by today's standards)
½ September 17, 2015
Not as fun or good as Creepshow, but it does thoroughly capture the cheesy charm of Creepshow in an excellent degree! B+
½ September 5, 2015
More cheesy fun last night. Nothing like seeing Christian Slater get stalked by a Mummy.
July 16, 2015
A fun little nostalgic horror anthology, that saves the best skit for last, and has a fun wraparound tale.
June 21, 2015
A tad underrated. It's no Creepshow but it'll do.
½ May 29, 2015
Tells some good tales with better than average gore. The all star cast really steals the show and makes Tales From The Darkside: The Movie better than expected.
May 22, 2015
"Tales from the Dark Side: The Movie", is a film that can be entertaining, but has next to no creativity put into it. This is supposedly the third CREEPSHOW, but has none of the inventive stories that movie had. It feels generic and very rushed pacing wise, and even though I don't hate it, I don't really like it much either. It's honestly a film that you can live without watching.
½ May 13, 2015
As an anthology horror movies it's one of the better ones for sure. The stories have no real twists or turns that will surprise or shock the viewer (like The Twilight Zone) and it doesn't have the style or substance of a movie like Creepshow, but what it does have is plenty of gore and monster effects, plus some good acting.

The first segment involves a mummy. It has the most big named actors of any of the segments and is probably the scariest of the three stories. It's okay, but nothing special.

The second segment is a bit boring, despite being written by Stephen King and George Romero. It involves an evil cat and it really isn't that interesting until the fantastic gore scene at the end. The weakest story in my opinion.

The last segment is the cheesiest by far. It has some cool monster effects and gore, but relies too heavily on a twist ending you can already see coming. It isn't that great, but the cheese factor is high and there's something about rubber suit monsters that is awesome to see in movies.

Overall, Tales from the Darkside as a whole is like the sum of all its part. Each story is okay, but nothing you need to go out of your way to see. There's nothing terrible about the movie, but nothing special about it either. Though, if you want to see an anthology horror movie then this is one of the better ones to recommend.
½ May 9, 2015
I think these tales had such potential, and they used gore and monsters that were typical for the late 80s, early 90s. But they really missed the potential. Take the second tale for example. They were so close to having a story that was a perfect metaphor for death from old age or natural causes, and the scene with the cat crawling in and out of his mouth squandered it.

It was entertaining enough, though that's not saying much from me. I'm easily entertained. But it was thoroughly unimpressive, with cheesy monsters and too-conclusive endings. The ending to the "framing" story of the boy boring. All in all, it showed potential but squandered and followed through too expectedly to be at all successful.