Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie Reviews

Mark H.
½ November 8, 2017
Another anthology horror film, much like Creepshow, and almost as good. This one, like the much weaker Creepshow 2, features three stories, plus a wraparound. The first story is about a mummy that comes to life and carries out revenge/justice. Lot 249 is fun, and well cast and acted, but much darker than Creepshow. Not much humor in these tales. The wraparound has some dark humor though. The second tale is the weakest. It's about an old man (the always memorable William Hickey) who is cursed by a black cat who has killed 3 people in his mansion already. The cat is seeking revenge for all the cats experimented on by his drug company. The mood is good, and the camera shots and cinematography is excellent. It is well made. It's just not very scary. The third tale is the best. It's about a gargoyle statute atop a building in NYC that comes alive and makes a deal with the main character. If he promises never to tell anyone he saw the gargoyle or heard it speak, he would be sparred. He meets a pretty woman the same night by coincidence, and they fall in love. His career takes off, and they start a family. However, he is haunted by the night of the gargoyle, and, well, does he keep his promise? Scary, dark and well made with good music. This movie is just about as good as Creepshow, it just lacks one more good story, or if the second had been better, to be great.
½ September 18, 2017
Between a 4/10 and 5/10, this is a dull, derivative horror anthology.
September 11, 2017
One of my favorite memories from growing up in the 80s is seeing this movie with my best friend. Fun horror movie!
June 30, 2017
There is the chessy goodness of 80's films which is a sort of cult classics then there is this puke that should be flushed.
June 18, 2017
A boy is locked up in a cage reading stories to delay the witch from eating him.

In the first story a poor college boy gets a mummy to make some profit and reanimated him.

Second story is a rich old man in a house by himself hires a human to kill a cat.

In another one an art mover sees something he shouldn't and swears never to tell in exchange for his life
½ June 6, 2017
As good as Creepshow 2.
January 11, 2017
I love this kind of movie.... childish. gory and scaryish.... nov/01/2016
October 18, 2016
I wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The first adjectives that come to mind are old/outdated, hokey, and ridiculous. It felt like a compilation of episodes from a mediocre early 90s T.V. show (maybe it is), lumped together for a "special" VHS Halloween release. The first segment , the mummy one with Julianne Moore is alright, but the next two I'd strongly recommend just missing.
½ October 16, 2016
I remember this being scarier when I was younger! Worth watching, though. The gore is at an all time high, however the stories could've been told smoother. Each tale had potential that it never lived up to. It did bring me back though and I jumped a few times too! I could just be a softy! Lol!
October 5, 2016
Loads of talented people acting in some very moronic "tales". Nothing about this film is scary.
August 29, 2016
One of my favorite anthologies as a child.
August 29, 2016
One of my favorite anthologies from when I was a kid. Not for the Squamish, very violent but very fun
½ April 11, 2016
Historias medianamente interesantes, pero tampoco nada que te vaya a sorprender mucho o dar miedo, por así decirlo. Eso sí, un gran uso de efectos prácticos.
February 12, 2016
Decent movie, some stories were better than others but overall it was cool. 3/5 OR 6/10
January 28, 2016
'Tales From the Darkside: The Movie' left me shaken and a little stirred like the way a martini would be at the bar. Its problem lies in its laughability at times and how the actors in the 'Lot 249' segment feel as if they are tired of being given this script to do. My hope is the show is actually better. But this movie makes for great entertainment for horror and anthology fans
January 23, 2016
Kind of a hokey horror-comedy, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is too tongue-in-cheek for its own good. In the film a suburban witch is entreated to three tales of horror by a young boy that she's preparing to cook. However, the stories are rather lame; a mummy that comes to life, a killer cat that won't die, and a gargoyle that falls in love. The writing is really poor, and is full of clichés and painfully bad stereotypes. Yet, the cast is surprisingly good, and includes Christian Slater, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore, and James Remar. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is mildly entertaining, but it just isn't able to pull off the campiness and clever wit of the television series.
½ January 10, 2016
i share the seem feelings towards this one as i did "Creepshow"; almost seems like it's a spoof when i watch it now -- but i wonder what my thoughts would be if i were to watch it in 1990. again, SO many big name actors in these! (by today's standards)
½ September 17, 2015
Not as fun or good as Creepshow, but it does thoroughly capture the cheesy charm of Creepshow in an excellent degree! B+
½ September 5, 2015
More cheesy fun last night. Nothing like seeing Christian Slater get stalked by a Mummy.