Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie Reviews

March 30, 2015
2 stars for the story with the gargoyle. The Disney cartoon Gargoyles made me love the monsters and besides this movie I've never seen them in a horror movie. We have a million Bigfoot movies but no gargoyles. It makes no sense. Anyway, the story is alright but the killer cat story was better.
½ November 11, 2014
As the unofficial Creepshow 3 (it's Tales from the Darkside only by name) this movie tops part 2, very close to part 1. It's a creepy old fashioned horror film, resembling a much more twisted '50s-'60s anthology horror flick. 70/100
½ October 30, 2014
Funny, campy, brutal--they took old school thrills and made them fun.
½ October 15, 2014
Thanks to casting that is savvier than the horror norm, and to direction by John Harrison that is workmanlike and sometimes even witty, at least it's fun.
October 6, 2014
So I forgot I saw this and probably hated it. The stories were bad, the last story was original but was completely idiotic and made no sense but was based on keeping your word or consequences could occur, unfortunately it was done in a really poor way that came off as being really dumb.
September 30, 2014
Mildly-amusing 80s horror anthology featuring appearances by Deborah Harry, Steve Buschemi and Christian Slater. While no tale stands especially strong, highlights include a decent murderous mummy and SFX puppet-gargoyles. Plays more like a cable movie than theatrical release. For horror aficionados (and completists) only.
September 22, 2014
The alternative (competitor?) to the Twilight Zone movie but not quite in the same league in my opinion. The film consists of three stories within a wrap around story told by a boy who is going to eaten by a witch of all things.

First tale see's a man use a 3000 year old mummy to kill a few select people (an adaptation of a Arthur Conan Doyle short). Not a bad story and handled reasonably well with good makeup on the mummy and some bloody deaths dealt out. Big cast names in this story with Buscemi and Christian Slater and a nice ending make this tale the second best of the three.

Second tale is an adaptation of a Stephen King story and the weakest of the three, an old man is sure he is cursed by a cat which is trying to kill him after it supposedly killed his sister. The reason behind this being the old mans pharmaceutical company killed many thousands of cats in testing a new drug. Pretty lame story really which isn't particularly spooky in the slightest. The cat is obviously some sort of demon which is cool and this is shown in the way it kills the hitman who has been hired to get rid of the cat, I just think it could of been more scary or eerie basically.

Third and final tale stars James Remar and is about a guy who witnesses the death of a man by a gargoyle type creature. The creature lets the witness live if he promises not to tell anyone of what he saw. Easily the best story even though its not explained too well and leaves you asking various questions by the end. Some great makeup and effects in the finale as we see a transformation similar to finale in 'The Fly' with Jeff Goldblum, really nicely done without the use of CGI, no surprise with Dick Smith being involved.

Overall not as good as 'Twilight Zone: the Movie' and a bit more adult with its content, more blood 'n' gore on show and some creepy monsters lend itself to some light scares. Still two of the stories are solid and quite sinister which I'm sure fans will enjoy if you like these type of horror anthologies. The overall quality just doesn't quite match the Twilight Zone standard that raised the bar originally.
June 8, 2014
Entertaining horror anthology film in the mold of Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt, mixing horror and dark humor. The film isn't anything all that original, but it's competently directed (which is more than can be said of most horror films), had solid special effects (done by Dick Smith), and features an above average cast including Christian Slater, David Johansen, William Hickey, James Remar, Rae Dawn Chong, Robert Klein and early career roles for Steve Buscemi and Julianne Moore. The first story is based upon an Aurthur Conan Doyle mummy short story of revenge. This one stands out because of the cast Christian Slater as the lead and Steve Buscemi in an early part as the nerd using a mummy for revenge on mean trendy people like Julianne Moore with fabulous 80s hair. I'd also say this is the only time a mummy has seemed scary to me. The second one is probably the weakest of the three, based upon a Stephen King and George A. Romero story that was originally going to be in a Creepshow film. It's about a old rich man who hires a hitman to kill an evil cat that's evil and killed everyone else in the house. The third segment is the least comedic and does have a certain amount of sincerity to it that's missing from the others, mostly thanks to a strong performance by the underused James Remar. The twist at the end of the story is not too much of a surprise, but Remar makes it a story of the three that always stuck in my mind. And then top it off with a wraparound story of a young boy about to be eaten by a modern times witch, played by Deborah Harry, and stalling by reading her scary stories.
March 25, 2014
Each segment is more entertaining than the last; ranging from hilariously absurd to clever and disturbing. However; it's the star-studded cast that makes this horror anthology one of the best of its kind.
½ March 19, 2014
This early 90's horror anthology did not age well. Blondie is in it and Steve Buscemi, who even as it says in the movie's description is bug-eyed. He uses a mummy to kill Christian Slater and Julianne Moore. It gets worse from there.
March 3, 2014
Having never seen the TV show upon which this is based I can only guess that its fans were extremely disappointed in the terrible acting, awful stories, and horrendous effects.
February 12, 2014
Terrible acting. Maybe that's the style of the movie. But this I can't tolerate. Didn't watch the whole thing or even close to it.
½ February 11, 2014
Despite a decent cast the 3 tales just aren't that interesting
February 10, 2014
Tales From The Darkside is an enjoyable anthology film. Many consider this movie to be the real Creepshow 3. I give this flick 3 stars.
February 7, 2014
Another horror anthology film with 4 good horror tales.
January 27, 2014
I thought the movie was well thought out and I love the clever twists of the story "lover's vow" and am a big fan of "cat from hell" as it was originally a short story written by Stephen king. Over all considering the time period this was made in and the way they managed this to be scary and funny at the same time I give this movie two big thumbs up.
November 18, 2013
Overall not entirely bad, the Black Cat segment was good, but the rest were boring as hell. An unnecessary spin off really.
August 22, 2013
Too dated and silly to enjoy now, but what a cast from 1990. Steve Buscemi, Julanne Moore, Christian Slater...
July 29, 2013
watching this oldie but goodie horror flick