Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie Reviews

June 21, 2015
A tad underrated. It's no Creepshow but it'll do.
½ May 29, 2015
Tells some good tales with better than average gore. The all star cast really steals the show and makes Tales From The Darkside: The Movie better than expected.
May 22, 2015
"Tales from the Dark Side: The Movie", is a film that can be entertaining, but has next to no creativity put into it. This is supposedly the third CREEPSHOW, but has none of the inventive stories that movie had. It feels generic and very rushed pacing wise, and even though I don't hate it, I don't really like it much either. It's honestly a film that you can live without watching.
½ May 13, 2015
As an anthology horror movies it's one of the better ones for sure. The stories have no real twists or turns that will surprise or shock the viewer (like The Twilight Zone) and it doesn't have the style or substance of a movie like Creepshow, but what it does have is plenty of gore and monster effects, plus some good acting.

The first segment involves a mummy. It has the most big named actors of any of the segments and is probably the scariest of the three stories. It's okay, but nothing special.

The second segment is a bit boring, despite being written by Stephen King and George Romero. It involves an evil cat and it really isn't that interesting until the fantastic gore scene at the end. The weakest story in my opinion.

The last segment is the cheesiest by far. It has some cool monster effects and gore, but relies too heavily on a twist ending you can already see coming. It isn't that great, but the cheese factor is high and there's something about rubber suit monsters that is awesome to see in movies.

Overall, Tales from the Darkside as a whole is like the sum of all its part. Each story is okay, but nothing you need to go out of your way to see. There's nothing terrible about the movie, but nothing special about it either. Though, if you want to see an anthology horror movie then this is one of the better ones to recommend.
½ May 9, 2015
I think these tales had such potential, and they used gore and monsters that were typical for the late 80s, early 90s. But they really missed the potential. Take the second tale for example. They were so close to having a story that was a perfect metaphor for death from old age or natural causes, and the scene with the cat crawling in and out of his mouth squandered it.

It was entertaining enough, though that's not saying much from me. I'm easily entertained. But it was thoroughly unimpressive, with cheesy monsters and too-conclusive endings. The ending to the "framing" story of the boy boring. All in all, it showed potential but squandered and followed through too expectedly to be at all successful.
½ April 7, 2015
The Wraparound Story: A kid tells stories to a witch, (played by the lead singer of Blondie) to postpone being eaten. The kid is so irritating I was rooting for the witch.
Lot 249: A segment that proposes a truly horrifying situation; Steve Buscemi, Christian Slater and Julianne Moore all simultaneously forgetting how to act. They all seem to be competing to have the most apathetic reaction to being killed by a mummy.
Cat From Hell: Preceded by "Cat's Eye" and concluded with "Sleepwalkers", this is the middle instalment of Stephen King's "Cats Are Not Scary" trilogy. A hitman is hired by an old man to kill an evil cat. It's as hard to take seriously as the filmmakers did.
Lover's Vow: The most well-made segment that is all but ruined by the hilarious creature effects.
Overall: The filmmakers truly did not know the power of the darkside.
March 30, 2015
2 stars for the story with the gargoyle. The Disney cartoon Gargoyles made me love the monsters and besides this movie I've never seen them in a horror movie. We have a million Bigfoot movies but no gargoyles. It makes no sense. Anyway, the story is alright but the killer cat story was better.
½ November 11, 2014
As the unofficial Creepshow 3 (it's Tales from the Darkside only by name) this movie tops part 2, very close to part 1. It's a creepy old fashioned horror film, resembling a much more twisted '50s-'60s anthology horror flick. 70/100
½ October 30, 2014
Funny, campy, brutal--they took old school thrills and made them fun.
½ October 15, 2014
Thanks to casting that is savvier than the horror norm, and to direction by John Harrison that is workmanlike and sometimes even witty, at least it's fun.
October 6, 2014
So I forgot I saw this and probably hated it. The stories were bad, the last story was original but was completely idiotic and made no sense but was based on keeping your word or consequences could occur, unfortunately it was done in a really poor way that came off as being really dumb.
September 30, 2014
Mildly-amusing 80s horror anthology featuring appearances by Deborah Harry, Steve Buschemi and Christian Slater. While no tale stands especially strong, highlights include a decent murderous mummy and SFX puppet-gargoyles. Plays more like a cable movie than theatrical release. For horror aficionados (and completists) only.
September 22, 2014
The alternative (competitor?) to the Twilight Zone movie but not quite in the same league in my opinion. The film consists of three stories within a wrap around story told by a boy who is going to eaten by a witch of all things.

First tale see's a man use a 3000 year old mummy to kill a few select people (an adaptation of a Arthur Conan Doyle short). Not a bad story and handled reasonably well with good makeup on the mummy and some bloody deaths dealt out. Big cast names in this story with Buscemi and Christian Slater and a nice ending make this tale the second best of the three.

Second tale is an adaptation of a Stephen King story and the weakest of the three, an old man is sure he is cursed by a cat which is trying to kill him after it supposedly killed his sister. The reason behind this being the old mans pharmaceutical company killed many thousands of cats in testing a new drug. Pretty lame story really which isn't particularly spooky in the slightest. The cat is obviously some sort of demon which is cool and this is shown in the way it kills the hitman who has been hired to get rid of the cat, I just think it could of been more scary or eerie basically.

Third and final tale stars James Remar and is about a guy who witnesses the death of a man by a gargoyle type creature. The creature lets the witness live if he promises not to tell anyone of what he saw. Easily the best story even though its not explained too well and leaves you asking various questions by the end. Some great makeup and effects in the finale as we see a transformation similar to finale in 'The Fly' with Jeff Goldblum, really nicely done without the use of CGI, no surprise with Dick Smith being involved.

Overall not as good as 'Twilight Zone: the Movie' and a bit more adult with its content, more blood 'n' gore on show and some creepy monsters lend itself to some light scares. Still two of the stories are solid and quite sinister which I'm sure fans will enjoy if you like these type of horror anthologies. The overall quality just doesn't quite match the Twilight Zone standard that raised the bar originally.
June 8, 2014
Entertaining horror anthology film in the mold of Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt, mixing horror and dark humor. The film isn't anything all that original, but it's competently directed (which is more than can be said of most horror films), had solid special effects (done by Dick Smith), and features an above average cast including Christian Slater, David Johansen, William Hickey, James Remar, Rae Dawn Chong, Robert Klein and early career roles for Steve Buscemi and Julianne Moore. The first story is based upon an Aurthur Conan Doyle mummy short story of revenge. This one stands out because of the cast Christian Slater as the lead and Steve Buscemi in an early part as the nerd using a mummy for revenge on mean trendy people like Julianne Moore with fabulous 80s hair. I'd also say this is the only time a mummy has seemed scary to me. The second one is probably the weakest of the three, based upon a Stephen King and George A. Romero story that was originally going to be in a Creepshow film. It's about a old rich man who hires a hitman to kill an evil cat that's evil and killed everyone else in the house. The third segment is the least comedic and does have a certain amount of sincerity to it that's missing from the others, mostly thanks to a strong performance by the underused James Remar. The twist at the end of the story is not too much of a surprise, but Remar makes it a story of the three that always stuck in my mind. And then top it off with a wraparound story of a young boy about to be eaten by a modern times witch, played by Deborah Harry, and stalling by reading her scary stories.
March 25, 2014
Each segment is more entertaining than the last; ranging from hilariously absurd to clever and disturbing. However; it's the star-studded cast that makes this horror anthology one of the best of its kind.
½ March 19, 2014
This early 90's horror anthology did not age well. Blondie is in it and Steve Buscemi, who even as it says in the movie's description is bug-eyed. He uses a mummy to kill Christian Slater and Julianne Moore. It gets worse from there.
March 3, 2014
Having never seen the TV show upon which this is based I can only guess that its fans were extremely disappointed in the terrible acting, awful stories, and horrendous effects.
February 12, 2014
Terrible acting. Maybe that's the style of the movie. But this I can't tolerate. Didn't watch the whole thing or even close to it.
½ February 11, 2014