Tales from the Gimli Hospital - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales from the Gimli Hospital Reviews

½ December 25, 2014
You, know, FOR KIDS!
November 18, 2012
Guy Maddin's stroke of brilliance.
½ July 25, 2012
Maddin's bizarre, remarkably audacious debut charms with offbeat wit and lo-fi craft; his quirk truly inspired.
½ October 27, 2010
Though Maddin may have gotten better, in this film he pretty much sets up his style for the majority of his subsequent films. It is by turns creepy, hilarious, disgusting, bizarre, and more. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't imagine how it got released in the 80s, when everyone stopped making artsty fartsy nonsense like this.
May 26, 2010
Ah, Mr. Maddin - you either love him or hate him.
March 1, 2010
Tales from the Gimli Hospital is surreal to the point where it is often comical. It plays off of some of the conventions of Hollywood's silent era well, to the point where if you didn't know it was from the 80's, you may have mistaken its parody for bad film making.
½ January 24, 2010
I remember the title from when I was a college-boy art-movie buff, and I wish I'd seen it back then. As it was, it took me 15 more years to discover Guy Maddin (with "The Saddest Music in the World"), and my life is all the better for it.

As Maddin's first feature, it's obvious he's working with a very limited budget, his technique is still a little raw, and the story gets away from him every now and then. But his mad creativity and twisted humor are already running rampant. Early signs of Maddin hallmarks: solitude, cutting flesh, homeroticism, snow (OK, this time it's feathers). And most importantly, his ability to create a surreal but still totally believable other world. This one will definitely stay with me.
December 16, 2009
One of the only Good Canadian films around.
July 19, 2009
I am not sure what to make of Maddin's first feature film. It's odd even by his own standards. There is a lot of imagination on display here but I am not sure it adds up to much beyond a succession of enjoyably weird images and ideas.
April 23, 2009
Surprisingly I found Guy Maddins debut movie quite funny. I wouldn't call it interesting because it fails to imvolve me both psychologically and emotionally but nonetheless it is funny as hell. I could not help to laugh my ass off during many of the scenes. It has a wonderful playfulness to its multi layered storyline and the Icelandic univers is inventive and bizarre. You can really sense the passion behind this production. So despite its flaws I am now looking forward to more from Maddin.
½ February 20, 2009
Not really the best Maddin film I have seen, but definitely has all the qualities I like in his work.
January 1, 2009
Guy Maddin's first film is a bizarre trip to a hospital I hope I never find myself in.
December 25, 2008
Quiite siimply, my favorite Maddin
½ October 23, 2008
A must see for anyone interested in experimental movies. Complete with weird images, pretentious subtexts and bizarre photography, this is an art house classic.
September 15, 2008
Not a fan of this, sorry. It was unique enough to warrant some attention, but the whole thing felt like an exercise in style rather than a cohesive whole.
½ July 11, 2008
Tales from the Gimli Hospital is more like a test shot for Maddin's later films rather than an actual self-contained story. It can almost be categorized within the same realm as some of Lynch's surrealist work but what makes Gimli Hospital inferior is its seemingly singular intention to make something weird out of weirdness sake. As with Maddin's other work the film is highly stylized to look like a turn of the century movie. The story loosely revolves around a fisherman who develops a strange relationship with another patient in the Gimli Hospital when he is stricken ill with smallpox. Even after I write the last sentence, I almost feel as though I'm giving the plot more justice than it deserves. To use the words illogical and incoherent seem like an understatement. I guess what's keeping me from throwing a fit for having wasted a good portion of my night with this film, is that at the core of all this ugliness lies a very talented director whose failures are still worth acknowledging.
July 10, 2008
This is entirely style over substance. Why is there a man in black face cackling like he has brain damage and firing his shotgun indiscriminately at flying geese while seated in what appears to be an indoor setting? Why is the entire film framed as a story a grandmother is telling some children as they wait calmly for their ill mother to die in a hospital, yet the story she is telling consists mostly of people in a hospital telling each other stories while waiting to die from a mysterious illness that manifests as poor make-up effects? Why does the film slip from dialog free to spoken gibberish with narration to plain old dialog? Why did I watch it from start to finish?
½ July 4, 2008
I've enjoyed two guy Madden films very much so far and was hoping for this to be my third. While he once again perfected the look and feel of 20s and 30s silent film, the story made little sense, if any at all. Maybe I just didn't "get it" but it was so out there, very much like some David Lynch movies that I detest, and while I don't need to understand a movie 100% (I loved Donnie Darko and enjoyed Lynch's Lost Highway) I feel a movie has to have semblance of sense and meaning. Otherwise all we're watching are pretty scenes for over an hour and in my opinion, as a movie buff and screenwriter, that doesn't make a real movie.
½ June 30, 2008
-after thinking about if for a few days, this might be my favorite guy maddin film so far. it has an eraserheadesque vibe mixed with the atmosphere of a silent film from the 1920s/30s (even though its not silent) but still unlike anything ive ever seen. kind of like stepping into someone elses drug induced fucked up dream. i would recomend checking out so of his other work before you see this one if you are new to guy maddin (like saddest music in the world).
½ May 22, 2008
Worthwhile, but I wouldn't watch it again. If you really want to see some Guy Maddin, try Careful.