Tales From the Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales From the Hood Reviews

May 4, 2016
Campy... in a pretty fun way.
½ February 12, 2016
What an underrated horror movie! I like this one more than I should...
½ January 5, 2016
Still so much damn fun. Covers all of the usual horror anthology staples, and can be a bit ham fisted, but it's all in good fun. Clarence Williams is great!
½ December 20, 2015
Tales from the Hood. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. During the second advent of blaxploitation films in the early to mid '90s, a lot of the films weren't really all that good and a lot of them had to do with the horror genre, similar to that of the origins of the blaxploitation genre in the '70s.

This film contained four short stories and a main story, similar to like just about every other anthology film. A lot of these usually contain a bunch of medicore short stories. In this case, two of the four were stereotypical black short stories. The first story was pretty good. Second story was better. Third was boring. Fourth almost gives this film a perfect rating, it's modern gang in America take on A Clockwork Orange done in 10 minutes and not quite as torturous. Obviously, the fourth film is a 100% homage to Stanley Kubrick's crazy coming-of-age tale.

The main story is interesting and the ending is just as f'ed as with all short story films. This film was great. Very good.
½ October 22, 2015
I remember seeing this film as a teenager and decided to give it a watch just recently for nostalgia purposes. Seeing this again through the eyes of an adult really make me see it for what it is... one of the most, if not most, racist films against white people there are. The first 'tale' involves a young black officer that witnesses police brutality against a black rights activist (done by a white officer of course). The second story shows a racist senator (played by Corbin Bersen) that gets punished by getting eaten alive by a bunch of black dolls. The third tale involves a common thug gangbanger getting arrested and going through a 'process' to get "rehabilitated" which is a total rip-off of 'A Clockwork Orange' (and was it really necessary for the subject to be wearing bikini underwear with a sock stuffed in it)?. During this process, he is being shown why it is wrong to kill other black people. How about teaching him the simple fact that it's wrong to kill people PERIOD?
The entire film shines a very negative light on whites and is basically reverse racism. I have zero respect for any of the white actors involved who contributed to making this film, especially Corbin Bernsen.
October 1, 2015
It's probably not popular because it has a moral underpinning. I like it, and if you don't like this movie... fuck you mutha fuca!
September 13, 2015
Pretty good Tales From The Crypt rip off! I saw this as a kid and have enjoyed it ever since.
½ August 18, 2015
Not want to see but seen it as I became a full time horror author and it is up there with Black Sabbath -- a much darker more brutal Black Sabbath as there was an anthology film that John Ritter was in too during this era. Anthology movies are a different horse than regular horror films and need to be appreciated on it's own terms. Tales from the Darkside in 1990 was shown in my high school so you have to put this movie on the level of that one of how dark it is. Without this movie there would been no Lake Fossil Press as I was in college when it was played on cable. Bottom line it's fucking cool if you have an ability to appreciate this style of storytelling. Terry Vinson uses the frame story in his short story collections. The key element of a good horror anthology is how well the frame story is done.
½ April 25, 2015
Cheesy and corny but that's not a weak point.One time watch that you'll have a tough time remembering later.
April 6, 2015
Good....some cool violence, acting and an admittedly bravura finale.....
March 23, 2015
The theming is interesting but ultimately all of the stories are just bland rip-offs of other stories and fail to be scary or funny
February 26, 2015
Somewhat entertaining, though it was racist trash that constantly made the White man look like the villain and I felt as dumb as an Ebonic educated hoodrat after it ended...
February 11, 2015
I remember this movie. I thought it was a very creative movie that did not get the attention it deserved. And it's a shame, considering all of the other horror genres movies out there that get green lit by Hollywood and sucks like Hell.

Rusty kicked Arse on the script.
November 27, 2014
A great movie!!! The plot came together so great!!!!
½ July 6, 2014
I love the anthology format, and these short stories surpass Creepshow and the majority of Tales from the Crypt and Darkside. Dark, haunting, and very enjoyable. It captures that wonderful Halloween feeling. It is aimed more toward an African American audience, but anyone can find it enjoyable. If you like the short story format this is a must see.
May 14, 2014
A fun watch, nonetheless.
½ May 8, 2014
I really liked this film, Real cool!
½ April 17, 2014
This is pulp fiction type horror set in communities of color! Clearly this is a rare film with a socio-political argument without losing it's tongue-in-cheek humor. One of my favorite B-films.
April 15, 2014
"3 gangsters who have to go to the mortician home"

Forced to abandon before the cops arrived; this story begins with 3 gangsters who have to go to the mortician home to recover their ship that-was stolen by a rival pirate gang leader that they shoot down. Upon arriving they get detained by the mortician care-taker; he informs them not to worry about their ship; when they leave they will-be covered over their heads in the ship.

The beginning & end to this movie were the funniest parts of it; overall a D + (Deficient)
½ March 28, 2014
I really enjoyed this, aside from the last part due to a very intense strobe effect. But it was surprisingly really good!