Tales of Manhattan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales of Manhattan Reviews

January 25, 2016
Very well done film has a great cast. For some reason a nine-minute W.C. Fields set piece was removed for many years from the film, but was restored for home video release and later-day television showings.
jjnxn
October 8, 2015
A great chance to see a galaxy of stars all gathered together but tonally the movie is all over the place. The best parts are in the first 3/4 of the film after that it falls apart somewhat.
½ September 27, 2010
I remember seeing the tail end of this movie when I was, maybe 14. I kept waiting for it to get boring, but surprisingly this old, black-and-white movie kept my attention the entire time. I sort of forgot about it for a while, but it's definitely one of my favorite movies.
Rostron2
September 10, 2010
I guess I'm on a classics kick this week. Tales from Manhattan is an odd little film made up a series of episodes and vignettes where a tailcoat changes the lives of a number of people. Fate can be capricious, though, and some do well and others poorly by owning the coat.

With an engaging mix of stories linked together, and a terrific cast of studio power names, Tales of Manhattan is still fun to watch. There's two versions: Either its theatrical release (five stories) or a 'restored' release with the sixth story as part of the disc set. The film isn't without its weaknesses, with a weaker story near the end about a poor black family finding the coat that used far too many stereotypes.

However, the love triangles are carried off well, and two of the stories are standouts: Charles Laughton as a struggling composer, and Edward G. Robinson as a man who has lost everything are, in my opinion two of the most heartfelt episodes.

Overall, a gem that many people have probably not seen.
September 6, 2009
A story of a Tail Coat that was pass on from one person to another, each evolves a story of infidelity, hope, charity and self respect, an anthology of an all star cast, each though have shorter roles gave an effective acting, worth the watch.
August 11, 2009
This is a really good movie and an under-rated one, certainly! The story is comprised of vignettes--really, an all-star cast--that center around a tail-coat and the adventures of the different men who owned/wore it and the people in their lives. From an adulterous gent who is shot to a composer whose career needs a boost to a Harvard graduate and bum to an African-American man who finds the coat along with a wonderful surprise.

This movie deserves acclaim.
February 11, 2009
Fun little anthology with quality performances from an amazing cast. Does anybody really believe, though, that Charles Boyer, Henry Fonda, Charles Laughton, Edward G. Robinson, and W.C. Fields all wear the same size coat?
½ January 4, 2009
7.5/10. What a cast! Everyone is good, but Charles Laughton and Edward G. Robinson excel. Great menagerie of stories, all with a common element. Wonderfully pieced together, excellent direction. A very enjoyable movie.
½ November 21, 2008
A film anthology that manages to be both positively schmaltzy and good fun. The movie plucks stars from Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation's 1942 line-up and casts them to type. The comedic stories are the strongest. The W.C. Fields segment was restored for the video market.
October 23, 2008
amazing cast good stuff
September 29, 2008
The first hour is good... the second hour bored me to tears.
½ February 11, 2008
Love it!! Everybody and their mother was in this one!
½ October 17, 2007
Great old flick, if you're into them... Interesting plot line... to follow a coat...
October 15, 2007
A phenomenal anthology film by a director who should be much more celebrated.
½ September 29, 2007
Definitely interesting. Some segments were much better than others, but none of them come close to being bad. My favorites were Charles Laughton's and Ginger and Henry Fonda.