Tales of the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales of the Night Reviews

June 27, 2016
the worst fucking shit i ever watched! Warning! do not watch this at any cost, u will puke atleast 3 times
March 16, 2015
It's an odd little film, and, at times, a slow one, but it is meant to be so.
March 15, 2015
Teh longer version Dragons et Princesses is even better - just in French......
February 18, 2015
This was fun and enjoyable to watch. I rented this from the VUDU app and I liked the stories.
February 14, 2015
Spectacular animation but the story is very lacking and the ending is disappointing
½ February 9, 2015
Gorgeous animation but lacking story.
August 11, 2014
After 15 minutes of horrible voice acting, that's all I could take. Watched no further.
April 1, 2014
Ocelot ("Kirikou and the Sorceress") brings shadow puppetry to life with this anthology of six short stories. The "vivid, colorful backgrounds" make the bland tales watchable. For kids.
½ December 23, 2013
An interesting and beautifully animated compilation of stories tied together by the animators creating new ideas may be a bit to slow for children and the animation might not appeal to some adults. Tales of the Night is artsy and will appeal to fans of artsy fartsy films but it might do just enough to grab the attention of other viewers as well.
½ November 10, 2013
One of the best animated movies of 2012. The movie is like a story book filled with amazing fairy tales you grow up hearing. By having all the characters shaded black , whole new element of imagination arises in a way I have never seen before. A truly unique film that most people should enjoy. The only downfall to this movie is that it is only filled with love stories, but other than that you should touch a piece of your childhood when watching this film.
½ November 9, 2013
It's a shame Michael Ocelot is a terrible writer because the film is absolutely beautiful. Tales of the Night (2011) is a compilation film of six stories that are being told by three storytellers in a small theater. The stories are shown through silhouette style animation which is ingenious because detail is put into background images, rather than images in the foreground. What happens is the solidness of the film's characters (who are in complete shadows) accentuate the rich, vibrant colors of the film's landscape. The sad thing is all of the stories are exactly the same.
November 7, 2013
One line summary: Fairy tales done very well using an old style and modern techniques.

The film breaks into six separate adventures.

Night of the Werewolf. Being a prince and a werewolf in the 15th century. Happy ending on this one; murderous deceit receives justice instead of monetary reward.

Jon Jon and Beauty Not Knowing. On a Caribbean island, Jon Jon explores a deep cave which is the country of the dead. The only other living being is the princess whose name is Beauty Not Knowing. Jon Jon befriends the 3 monsters he was warned to kill. The father of the princess sets him three tasks. The 3 monsters help him through the final tests. Jon Jon goes back to his girl friend in the land of the living.

The City of Gold. The Boy saves The Girl from being a human sacrifice, but at a cost.

Tom-Tom Boy. Set in a village in the African bush. Everyone in the village tells Tom-Tom Boy to learn something useful, and to get lost in the meantime. He saves an old man's life out in the wild. This man is the custodian of the magic tom-tom, 'whose rhythms no one can resist.' He plays for the custodian, who teaches him to do more with it.

The Boy Who Never Lied. Set in Tibet. Two king each wager half their kingdoms on whether or not the Boy can be made to lie. The princess volunteers to help her father get the Boy to lie. The Boy's horse speaks; the princess' mare can sing. The lying princess acts sick, and claims that she must eat the heart of his talking horse. The horse, Melonge, gives up his life so that his heart can be claimed. The Boy serves up the heart, but the princess leaves with the heart untouched. Ah, sadness. But the Boy and his king are rewarded, and the princess admits the vileness of what she has done.

The Young Doe and the Architect's Son. Zachariac, the sorcerer, has a young ward, Maud, who falls in love with the architect's son, Thibault. Thibault climbs Zachariac's dread tower to rescue Maud. He encourages her to agree to marry Zachariac, with the understanding that Thibault will interrupt the process before it is complete. Thibault and Maud escape via a secret trapdoor in the cathedral. Zachariac renounces Maud, and changes her into a doe who only runs from Thibault. Thibault and his father's friend find the palace of a fairy ally of the architect. Can the complete the resolution?

Art/Animation: 10/10 Though only in one style, wonderful throughout.

Sound: 10/10 No problems. Liked the incidental music.

Acting: 10/10 Beautifully voiced.

Screenplay: 10/10 Difficult and wonderful.
June 21, 2013
Beautiful animation. Mediocre storytelling. Intrigues me enough to find the directors other films.
May 15, 2013
very cute and fun; though probably not fast-paced or flashy enough for kids to actually be a kids movie
½ May 8, 2013
J'adore Michel Ocelot, ses graphiques fabuleux, un émerveillement pour les yeux, et des histoires touchantes et enrichissantes. A voir!
April 19, 2013
Sadly, the gorgeous backgrounds are more interesting than the stories.
March 31, 2013
i would have given this movie 5/5 had it not been for the tale of Melonge, the tibetan tale. call my crazy, but the story of a kind, wise, gentle, and miraculous horse getting his heart cut out by his trusted friend just to prove a point was totally at odds with the rest of the stories which, up to that point, had been whimsical and charming, even uplifting.

i docked 2 stars bec it took me forever to calm my traumatized six year old down.
½ February 15, 2013
Tales of the Night 'Les Contes de la nuit' French computer animation film directed by Michel Ocelot. The film portrays silhouette characters against the colorful background. Tales of the Night is compilation 5 episodes of 'Dragons et princess in stereoscopic 3D with addition of one more story at the end called "The Girl-Doe and the Architect's Son - La Fille-biche et le fils de l'architecte",

Film follows the modern-day framing gadget where an actor, actress and director sit before a theater proscenium, drafting quick stories and ultimately casting themselves in the classically styled tales they've imagined, formulating costumes and witty tricks to get through complicated situations in each story.

I didn't find the stories 'intriguing', it rather looked like artificially carved out, to present predictable circumstances that follow. Michel has offered us unique and visually-striking films like Kirikou and the Sorceress; however this seemed loose at storytelling, and bothering voice actors (particularly the lead male character).
December 26, 2012
Boy, I do go a long way for good animated films. And while Tales of the Night wasn't the great film that I also didn't accepted, it was a pleasant movie experience.

The film is comprised of six short stories, all fantastical and child-friendly. Like so often, this French production is so much more suitable for young audiences than Hollywood fare and at the same time delivers enough pleasure for any audience member with its gorgeous visuals.
The style of the film is unprecedent, nothing like I've seen before, I'd describe it as shadow animation but I have no idea what it's really called. Mostly wonderful animation though.

The stories themselves are all fantastical and take us to exotic places and they all resolve around some kind of prince and princess, but, as a serious movie watcher, who isn't a child anymore, I have to say, they lack cohesion and a satisfying suspense ark. That's because they're terribly shortened down to fit the attention span of a child.

I can't say I was surprised about it, I've seen similar problems, but I still prefer films like Tales of the Night to heart- and soulless US animation.