Tales That Witness Madness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tales That Witness Madness Reviews

March 6, 2014
A series of short stories that are connected only by their dependence on our imagination - not anyone's sanity.
April 28, 2013

Here there be tigers.

"Each story is simply true."-Professor R.C. Tremayne (Donald Pleasence)
November 27, 2012
Four frightening tales of murder, deception, and the occult--An enjoyable tongue-in-cheek British horror anthology hoot!!
½ November 25, 2012
The only madness to this film is how boring it was.
July 7, 2012
i like movies with stories, this one didn't particularly like the stories though, they were okay. the last one was my favorite.
June 11, 2012
While not an Amicus film, Tales that Witness Madness feels like the Amicus portmanteau or omnibus films of the era; however, it is way better than most of them. Amicus and Hammer veteran Freddie Francis helms this anthology horror film that succeeds because it has genuinely weird (if not really scary) stories. Featuring Donald Pleasance, Joan Collins, and Kim Novak, Tales that Witness Madness stands out as one of the better British omnibus horror films of the seventies.
June 5, 2012
Is this where Calvin and Hobbs came from??? Fun anthology that borrows heavily from Hammer horrors Asylum(72). Its dated but thats part of its charm. Streaming on Netflix.
½ March 13, 2012
This is another fun Amicus anthology starring Donald Pleasance and Joan Collins. The wraparound story presents "Doctor" Pleasance overseeing the primary victims of four short stories within the walls of an insane asylum.
I really liked the glaringly white set and the ready-to-snap sanity of Pleasance's doctor. The wraparound story itself is very thin. Nothing as cool as Amicus Film's quite similar 1972 effort, "Asylum". The four stories that make up the creamy center of the movie are all really good, though. And they are surprisingly original.
The first is a story of a little boy with a very large imaginary friend and some very annoyingly self-centered parents. I don't think I need to explain what happens, but one thing I will point out is that there is some surprising gore here. It's nothing excessive mind you, it's just unexpected.
The second entry is a tale of an antiques dealer who acquires a penny-farthing and an old picture of "Uncle Albert". It sounds boring on the surface and doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but watch for the changing expressions of the picture of Uncle Albert. They are strange and creepy in their presentation.
Thirdly, Joan Collins is challenged for the affections of her boyfriend by a section of a tree that he found in the woods. Yep, you read that right.
Finally, Kim Novak's daughter is sacrificed to appease the spirit of her handsome client's dead mother. This is probably my least favorite of all of the stories but the main course served at the ritual dinner and the way it is presented is stomach-turning.
The ending of the wraparound story is supposed to be a twist but really doesn't make a lot of sense. But dammit if it doesn't make for a satisfying finish.
½ February 12, 2012
Not the best anthology flick ive seen. The stories all are quite silly, as if a collection of left overs to a really good anthology film, like Dr. Terror's, Asylum or Tales From the Crypt. Its watchable though, and Pleasance is the stand out performance.
January 9, 2012
Reworking of the British movie Asylum with new 3 new stories.
November 15, 2011
There is no wonder why this is in set collections with Tales From the Crypt, it is just like the set-up of the ghoulish stories in Crypt except with Donald Pleasence in a psych ward going from each seemingly insane patient retelling each of their stories. The stories are just awesome, it ranges from a kid with his imaginary killer "friend" to a Hawaiian party from hell. What I love is that while Pleasence begins their stories the subjects of them seem to be in absolute shell shock murmuring some wort of madness to themselves as he begins each tale.

4 out of 5, it's campy but satisfying as all hell.
½ September 11, 2011
The final segment is the best piece in this strange collection of pulp horror tales.
May 22, 2011
Tales that Witness Madness is one of the many anthology horror films made in the 1970s. It was made by a British company (not Amicus) and was actually decent. It has four stories of murder and mayhem. The first one is "Mr. Tiger", a story about a boy who sees an invisible tiger, yet no one else can. This is my favorite story, and the only one that really scared me at the end. The second story is "Penny Farthing", about a man who is haunted by the bicycle of his dead uncle. The second weakest story. The third tale is "Mel", about a tree that falls in love with a man, but the man's wife despises the tree. Has a great, shocking ending. The final story is "Luau", about a woamn throwing a Hawaiian luau where her daughter may end up being the main course! Luau is probably the weakest story, because its too long and too boring. TTWM hasn't been released on DVD yet, but its a great movie, so I would advise tracking it down.