Talking Funny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Talking Funny Reviews

½ June 18, 2014
Not as insightful as it could have been, but Talking Funny is informative still, and seeing these 4 comedy legends in a room together talking is a joy in and of itself.
½ April 22, 2013
An exuberant exploration of stand up from four master funnymen. Insightful an completely hilarious.
½ March 9, 2013
Even for comedy lovers, Talking Funny isn't essential. For that, I'd refer you to the more engaging Green Room with Paul Provenza, or the documentary, I Am Comic. Talking Funny is edited too tightly. Comedy at its best is an organic experience and constant cuts don't have the same impact.

Talking Funny doesn't break any new ground. Rarely do we see anything truly interesting from these four guys who combined have over a century of standup experience. This may have worked better as a miniseries or as an interview piece, I think. As it stands, they argue about various aspects of comedy, or reminisce a little bit about their careers, but there's not much substance here. Still, it's worth seeing how four of the biggest comics in the world consider their craft, though what Gervais is doing there instead of a more established British comedian is somewhat perplexing. Jerry Seinfeld as the most successful clean comic (despite Foxworthy), Louis CK as the most successful dirty comic, and Chris Rock as the most successful black comic all make sense, but Gervais is still pretty new to the game comparatively. Yes, he made it big with The Office and his biting sardonic commentary, but perhaps Billy Connolly or Eddie Izzard would have been the better choice. Then again, Gervais is probably more well-known internationally than any other British comedian alive today, so I get it. They wanted four people with broad appeal that represent four very different types of comedy. However, this means that Gervais' inexperience does show next to the three veterans, as he's been at it only a decade compared to 25 or 35 years.
October 30, 2012
An interesting documentary regarding the process of the worlds greatest stand-up comedians.
October 14, 2012
This was extremely fun to watch. If you are by any means a fan of comedians and stand up comedy as a whole, then you should check this out because you have the chance to see comedy broken down by some of the best. Louis C.K. Chris Rock Jerry Seinfeld and Ricky Gervais. Not very long but more than enjoyable for what it was.
February 29, 2012
I like Jerry Seinfeld, Louis C. K., Chris Rock, and Ricky Gervais and they are all funny people, but I guess I was hoping for something a little more deep and maybe a littler more funny. Not bad. Wispy and pleasing.
½ November 6, 2011
Great, really funny. 4 of the worlds most influential and best comedians give each other shit for an hour.
½ August 10, 2011
This was like eavesdropping on 4 Buddies, it was great!!!
July 2, 2011
Really fun to watch. An inside look at the pros and cons, dos and dont's and reflecting on comedy.
May 29, 2011
An absolutely hilarious hour of four of the most epic comedians