Tangled - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tangled Reviews

September 28, 2016
Tangled has a great Cast, funny momments and great songs to make this a true classic. and a great retelling
September 26, 2016
For years Disney's animated films lagged behind Pixar. This was their attempt to get their own films going again, and honestly, I think they did a very good job. Having fun little characters and a very simple, but well-structured story, makes it feel very polished and good fun for the entire family.
September 19, 2016
Tangled is a real mile marker for Disney animation. With this film they regained prominence and seemingly stole all the originality and quality Pixar once possessed. It's a movie that follows the classic Disney Princess formula, but slowly makes the Princess herself a strong individual instead of a total damsel in distress (although this movie only takes baby steps in that direction.) Rapunzel is a goofy character that reflects some of the strange quirks one might acquire being locked in a tower for well over a decade. She gets a lot of the laughs and Mandy Moore gives her a very sweet and innocent voice. I think Zachary Levi has a good voice for the wise-cracking Flynn Rider, a definite twist from the classic strong-voiced princes of the past. Perhaps the biggest vocal highlight is Donna Murphy as Mother Gothel, who brilliantly pulls off both sweet moments and also viciously overbearing moments (sometimes within only a few sentences of one another.) The songs are tons of fun, particularly in The Snuggly Duckling with all the kindhearted thugs. My biggest complaint is that Tangled doesn't divert enough from classic Disney tropes in order to stand on its own two feet. They still have the needless animal sidekicks (Maximus actually has a role in the plot but Pascal is utterly useless just for selling toys,) they still have the same predictable story beats, and in the end the Princess still needs her man to rescue her. There's nothing particularly wrong about these things, it just makes the movie feel a little derivative. However, for any fan of Disney animation or any parent of Disney fans, watching Tangled is a must.
½ September 17, 2016
Disney, oh Disney, you've had your ups and downs over the 49 movies you made before this. While there was a mid-2000s slump of disappointments, after Pixar became a full member of your family, you began to improve, with exciting adventures like Meet the Robinsons and Bolt, and the traditionally animated Princess and the Frog. With these under your belt thanks to the help of Pixar magic, your first CGI musical proves not to be a let down (like what Rapunzel does with her hair), but a raising of the standards for CGI animation as a whole, especially with Rapunzel's long, long, long, long... long, long hair (thank Disney this movie isn't as long as Rapunzel's hair). Our story opens with Rapunzel's mother being saved by a magic flower that Mother Gothel (Donna Murphy) uses to extend her life and look young. After she accidentally reveals its existence to the guards searching for a cure for the queen, she desperately seeks to get it back somehow, and the queen's daughter (who she was pregnant with when she was sick and cured) showcases magical hair whose abilities are eerily reminiscent of the flower. To get that power, she pulls a reverse-Bryan Mills, and uses her particular set of skills to take the princess, and use her hair as a magical restorative, and raises her as her own, raising her to be completely helpless. Fast Forward 17 or so years, and Rapunzel (Mandy Moore) wakes up to the day before her 18th birthday, and asks to see the lights that always appear on her birthday (which are actually the king and queen sending lanterns into the sky to get the attention of Rapunzel). After being refused, she eventually discovers Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi) in her tower, after he runs in by accident after being chased by the castle soldiers for stealing Rapunzel's crown from when she was a baby. After a hilarious interrogation scene, Rapunzel gets him to take her to the source of the lights in exchange for the crown. She boldly goes where no ludicrously long haired princess has gone before: the outside world, and after a montage of feeling good about abandoning her "mother" and feeling bad about it, she gets to the Snuggly Duckling, where a game of cat-and-mouse between her and Flynn and the guards begins, and continues for a while, culminating in another quality Disney climax. The plot isn't exactly tangled in plot holes, but there is a little more pushing of suspension-of-disbelief than usual. Otherwise, Rapunzel is a great Disney Princess. She may not be as independent and confident as Anna and Elsa proved to be in Frozen, but she adapts eventually (remember she left her tower for the first time ever about 25 minutes in, and only ever had contact with "Mother" Gothel until Flynn arrived, so she was her only positive relationship in her life, and the only other human being she ever had contact with, so it's alright and realistic for Rapunzel in particular to be a little helpless). Her chemistry with everyone in the film from Flynn to the Snuggly Duckling patrons is priceless comedy and an eye-opening experience to her. We've all had eye-opening experiences. All of us have had something happen to us that ripped up what we thought was true and burned the shreds while we're forced to watch. This is Rapunzel seeing that the world is not the hell-hole that her "mother" made it out to be. Flynn is a classic suave, swashbuckling thief with a heart of gold who makes friends and influences people. All the music does its job, whether the characters start singing in the way all Disney characters must sing in this type of movie. Alan Menken provides a satisfying score while the cast provides wonderful songs that (while not the never-ending anthem Let It Go would be three years later) give us insight into the characters' feelings and add a layer of fantastical feel-good. And don't even get me started on the animation. The most expensive animated movie ever made could have just been an awe-inspiring look at how far animation has come since Disney first released Snow White in 1938, but in addition to how far they've come in 50 movies and 72 years (as of Tangled's release), we see an amazing story of an innocent girl meeting the world, and seeing that (while her mother told some truth) everything, like the Weird Al song says, she knew was wrong: the world does have selfish people, but sometimes, the worst-seeming people have dreams too, whether they want to see the floating lights like Rapunzel, or they want to be a concert pianist, mime, or a Pokemon master (last one is my dream, the rest are all from the movie). It actually makes an old Walt Disney quote ring true: "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt dreamed animation would bring joy to people, and animation in his name brings joy to those who watch to this day. May Disney give us fifty more classics, and many, many more.
½ September 5, 2016
Truly an amazing movie and a modern classic. I think that this movie is almost as good as Frozen but I'll give Frozen the victory because the songs on it were better. I really liked the fact that Tangled is a mix of many genres such as Drama, Comedy and Fantasy and has so many exciting moments who can make you feel many different emotions. Most of the songs were good enough and Rapunzel and Pacal were the higlights of the film. I really recommend everyone to watch it, it's Disney in its finest.
½ August 30, 2016
Superior to the much-hyped Frozen, Tangled is one of the better films in the Disney canon, and a very welcome return to form. A kind of spiritual successor to 1959's Sleeping Beauty, Tangled visually bridges the gap between 2D and 3D animation while also providing a strong, emotionally resonant storyline with memorable characters and a nicely unconventional villain. Funny, touching and spectacular (particularly in 3D), this is highly recommended.
½ August 29, 2016
After almost 20 years Disney's ambitious musical comes here. The movie "Tangled" besides the well made story of Rapunzel and the funny moments. Has sth everyone has tried to do. An excellent musical movie. I think is a very well Disney movie.
August 28, 2016
The music was great in this movie, as was the ending, and Chuck's performance really did it for me, but the battle in the climax was terribly contrived.
August 21, 2016
I enjoyed this more than Frozen. Much of that having to do with dialogue snappier and more original than, say, "finish each other's sandwiches". Zachary Levi is underutilized in Hollywood and I don't know why.
½ August 15, 2016
As the first CGI Disney princess film, Tangled is fantastic!
½ August 13, 2016
Tangled is beautiful to look at, the colors pop out, the characters are great and the leads stole my heart with their chemistry and developments. The songs are also great, some catchier than others, overall, a great time and very rewatchable.
½ August 3, 2016
Out of all the Disney films I have seen over the years, Tangled is right up there in the top 5 favorite films. This film pulled me in very quickly because it had a very interesting plot line and story. The cast selected for Tangled was excellent because each voice fit the characters perfectly and each song was enjoyable to listen to. Alan Menken will go down as a Disney Music Legend for creating memorable songs! Each character was likeable including Rapunzel who was my favorite. I can watch this film over and over again and never become bored of it because it keeps you awake.
½ August 2, 2016
Filled with humour, superb animation and an interesting take on an old classic, while agreeably not being Disney's absolute best, it still ranks in recent times as a fine piece of filmography; another excellent animated feat from the notorious Disney/Pixar.
Verdict: A-
July 27, 2016
This is so much better than frozen. There aren't to many annoying songs it's well paced, funny, and has 10x the story of frozen it's just great. And Flynn Rider alone makes this worth a watch
July 21, 2016
The beneficiary of the internet's most gruelling debate, "Tangled vs Frozen", comes out on top easily as Disney's 21st century masterpiece. Entertaining, sweet and funny from start to finish, Tangled is impossible not to fall in love with. The revision of the tale of Rapunzel feels modern and never twee, despite the elements of the old story that are left in, and the Rapunzel character is full of life and personality. Zachary Levi's voicework as Flynn Rider also gets full marks here. Full marks full stop, I loved loved loved this movie.
July 17, 2016
Beautiful, pleasant, easy to digest, and mediocre.
July 14, 2016
Good animation, score, and voice acting!
July 10, 2016
It often tries too hard to be funny, also you won't like the easy way out they take, if you happen to be a... hairsplitter. Still it's visually beautiful and a nice tale for the whole family.
½ July 9, 2016
A towering return to form from Disney, Tangled is a hilarious and heartfelt romance, and it boasts quite possibly the most beautiful animation ever produced.
½ July 8, 2016
re-watched tangled and thought of posting a review. a very good disney movie indeed. a perfect mix of comedy and seriousness.