Tank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tank Reviews

May 12, 2016
I rented this for the first time yesterday. Wanted to watch a family movie with my children. The trailer seemed to be show some cool shots of the tank and that was what attracted my son. After watching it I am a bit disapointed in the content and suggestive material in this movie. It is rated PG but I think that is incorrect.

Sherman Jumbo Tank footage - mostly near the middle to end of the movie.
Escape from degenerative back country bot laws - justice served
Father son bonding moments
Interesting fed/local gov conflict setup
Standing up for the weak - we are all called to protect the disenfranchised
Military family dynamics ... could be somewhat real

Taking the Lords name in vein more than once
Cursing **it, **ck, etc...
Many sexual adult situations and innuendos
Multiple derogatory situations not necessary for the family mind
Actress attire not appropriate (Jenilee Harrison acting as hooker showing a little too much for a PG)

...this was an 80's movie and it really makes sense as to why so many of this era have slid into moral decay..may God help us repent!
March 2, 2016
This is a great flick. The cast is stellar and the plot is solid and enjoyable. A perfect popcorn movie to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon.
April 13, 2015
Garner really has to carry the water for this generic melodrama but I'll be damned if I wasn't rooting for him all the way.
½ October 28, 2013
So-so comedy that succeeds to the extent that it does because of James Garner. Otherwise it feels like a TV movie.
September 17, 2013
As in most movies in the 80's its slow to get started bit o think it's worth the wait. Great ending.
May 13, 2013
Everyone wants to own a TANK of thier own.
July 17, 2012
Watched it as a kid and still think I want that to be my Dad or be that Dad.
July 13, 2012
I'd give it 5 stars but this whole situation is James Garners fault...but when he solves a problem IT IS AWESOME!!
½ June 23, 2012
Even James Garner could salvage this one, as Shirley Jones gave a mediocre performance and C.Thomas Howell's character portrayal was so poor (not that he had much to work with) it is no wonder he hasn't been heard from since. Plot was not only trite, it was stupid.
½ April 24, 2012
One of my favorites from my childhood days. Still a fun one to watch to this day.
December 23, 2011
Zack Carey (James Garner) is an army Sergeant Major who has been transferred to a base next to a small Georgia town to finish out his military career. Not one to go out quietly, Zack arrives in town with his prized World War II Sherman tank! Zack visits the local bar one night and ends up in a fight with a local deputy sheriff when the redneck cop bullies a young woman Zack has befriended. A corrupt senior sheriff gets his revenge by arresting Zack's teenage son (C. Thomas Howell ) on a phony drug charge and locking him away on a prison farm. Now it's time for Zack to haul out his prized tank and rescue his son!

also stars Shirley Jones, G.D. Spradlin, Jenilee Harrison, Dorian Harewood, Sandy Ward, Mark Herrier and J. Don Ferguson.

directed by Marvin J. Chomsky.
August 20, 2011
Great James Garner, cool Sherman.
December 19, 2010
Initially, what got me to watch this flick was the poster campaign along with its taglines.

"If you just want to hate, you can come up with all kinds of reasons."

Despite what impressions you might make from those images (probably similar to my own), this film is actually a good old-fashioned story about people in middle-America. While I don't want to spoil anything, I will say that the tank is not the climax of this story...
½ October 23, 2010
An enjoyable movie, starts out with a somewhat serious tone and then proceeds to become a comedy of sorts. A decent cast of actors and characters still make this 80's flick entertaining.
April 28, 2010
An absurd plot, but you find yourself rooting for James Garner and that tank, especially against that jackass sheriff. Are all southern sheriff's like this? Worth watching if you're pro-Army and like seeing an old-school soldier take it to a corrupt southern town (and blow the hell out of that town with a WWII Sherman.) A fun movie with a strong message of how far a father will go to protect his children, even though it's about as plausible as James Garner starring in Twilight opposite Kristen Stewart.
April 24, 2010
Lost Tank. Was an ok movie
April 15, 2010
A fluff piece. I just love watching James Garner in action.
March 31, 2010
Army lifer breaks out his Sherman tank from the garage to battle corrupt local Sheriff who imprisons his son on trumped up drug charges. I bailed toward the end; it just went on too long and didn't buy into the folk hero turn.
January 6, 2010
CAUGHT this on TV for the first time ever the other night... RELEASED it in 10 minutes flat... "not interested" should've been the title... but I guess "TANK" as in tanked will have to do.
½ October 12, 2009
This movie wants to be too serious for the first half and too cartoonish for the second half that it's one muddled mess of southern cliches all around. James Garner plays a Sergeant Major with a Sherman tank that is fully armed for some reason even though he just uses it in ceremonies. When he movies to a Georgia Army base in North Georiga, even though the red clay and pine suggest southwestern Georgia, he gets in trouble with the local sheriff played by G.D Spradlin, as if it was a Mad Magazine cartoon, because of a bar fight involving his right hand goon, played by James Cromwell. Long story short, the sheriff arrests Garner's son played by C. Thomas Howell, violates every civil liberties law in the book and Garner uses his tank to bust his son out of prison. This is a cartoonish movie in which we are supposed to root for Garner who is doing the right thing. But I'm left wondering. Why not contact the ACLU? Surely, the Georgia State Patrol would have gotten involved. What about Army CID. I could go on and on. There are a million plot holes in this movie as the town the hick sheriff controls consists of a bar, a few trailers, a sheriff's office and not much else. Why the hell would a military base nearby leave a town so dead? One of the few questions this movie asks but doesn't answer.