Tanner Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tanner Hall Reviews

½ April 15, 2015
Well Rooney Mara stands out.
½ August 23, 2014
Although Rooney Mara has given some stellar performances recently, particularly her Oscar-nodded portrayal as Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", her first major movie role is flat and dull. Just like the rest of the characters in this teen drama.

"Tanner Hall" was looking like it was trying to pass off as a fresh story about friendship and betrayal, however it was basically recycling 80's teen flicks that worked previously.

Again, the characters don't have much going for them; they seemed cardboard and bland. If "Tanner Hall" was a featured on Lifetime Movie Network as an original movie, then it just might work.
June 30, 2014
If you just have a look at the plot and the front cover it looks like a movie that I would usually enjoy. It's been a few months since I saw it now and I can't really remember anything from watching it which just proves that it's easily forgotten. It wasn't at all as good as I'd expected it to be, there was nothing original about it and it's a shame to say, but it's just the same as any other boarding school coming-of-age story out there. This tells you nothing new and overall, you won't remember it the next day.
March 17, 2014
Mildly entertaining.
Harlequin68
½ July 13, 2013
On the plus side, Victoria's(Georgia King) enrolling at a new boarding school allows her to put some distance between her and her mom and to be reunited with her childhood friend Fernanda(Rooney Mara) and quickly introduced to her friends Kate(Brie Larson) and Lucasta(Amy Ferguson). On the down side, the limo driver forgot to pack her clothes, forcing her to borrow some of Fernanda's, putting some strain on their friendship when she tries to alter them without her friend's knowledge. Even worse is when it turns out that Victoria's roommate is a bed wetter.

While it seems "Tanner Hall" might desperately want to have something to say about female friendship, it instead goes off in the creepy direction of teenage women who have relationships with much older men. And it is less critical than leering. That's not to mention the epic scenes involving bed wetting and erectile dysfunction. However, it should surprise no one that Rooney Mara is the best thing going here but even she can make little difference in the end.
July 7, 2013
Tanner Hall is a disappointing film. It is about the private world of an all-girls boarding school. Rooney Mara and Georgia King give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Francesca Gregorini and Tatiana von Furstenberg did horrible jobs directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ May 28, 2013
A great coming of age movie. You get to follow four girls who all somehow learns the consequences of their mistakes. Wonderful drama that invites thoughts and discussion.
½ April 23, 2013
I only rented it because I like Rooney Mara. Good acting from everyone. The characters are interesting. But the movie itself is kind of boring. I think they could've done more with these characters and the strict setting but it didn't really work out as I would have hoped or thought.
I actually enjoyed Victoria's mother getting in her a$$ at the baby's christening. The entire movie she was incredibly manipulative and deserving of any negative responses she got. I didn't feel sorry for her in the least and I felt the resolve between her and Fernanda came too easily and way too cliche. *Of course* Fernanda stuck up for her. *Of course* Victoria wound up having a change of heart as a result. No, I wanted Fernanda to knock the taste out of Victoria's mouth. That's the kind of resolve I wanted because I despised that character. And is it ever really established why Victoria seeks to destroy Fernanda, sees her as an enemy to be brought down? Yeah, the DVD box *tells* us she's jealous but the movie itself never really lets that on. The only reason I knew she was jealous was because I was told. Other than that, unless I missed something, I didn't see anything in the movie that really explained the why regarding the tension between the two.
April 9, 2013
Tanner Hall is the type of movie that follows a bunch of people who do nothing important throughout the entire movie and then expect us to believe that they've grown up, redeemed themselves, or otherwise changed for the better. In this case, it takes place in an all-girls boarding school, and follows the exploits of four teenagers as they begin to learn about adulthood. Kind of. It's more about them just getting into trouble and then learning from that mistake, while making inconsequential decisions in the meantime.

The lead is Fernanda (Rooney Mara), a senior at this school who longs for it whenever she's not there. She doesn't like her home life -- the reason for this is never clear -- and absolutely adores her two closes friends, Lucasta (Amy Ferguson), and Kate (Brie Larson). A fourth girl, Victoria (Georgia King), someone who was friends with Fernanda in early childhood but they haven't spoken in years, also joins the party, and before you know it, we have our characters. They all have stereotypical defining features, and soon enough they're an easygoing group.

That is, except for Victoria, who is clearly an outsider. If Fernanda is the leader of the group, her decisions must be obeyed. And since she and Victoria can't be friends, the other two girls, who are perfectly amiable with the newcomer, can't be either. It turns out that Fernanda is right, though, as Victoria's stereotype is that of a troubled young woman who takes out her internal frustrations on everyone else, making their lives miserable. Because, as we all know, misery loves company, and there's enough of it to go around.

The rest of the girls end up being impacted, one by one, by Victoria, mostly in the romance department. Fernanda falls for a married man named Gio (Tom Everett Scott), Kate flirts with everyone, including her teacher, Mr. Middlewood (Chris Kattan), who takes a deep affection with her, while Lucasta is the shy and quiet one ... for some reason, which will be revealed later on in the film, but is clearly the member of the group on whom we're not going to spend too much time.

All of these relationships and hopeful relationships are going to, in one way or another, be impacted by the meanie, Victoria. She's mean because her mother is neglectful and she hates her life. That has to be fixed in a coming-of-age flick. So does the quiet nature of Lucasta, the lustful one of Kate, and whatever it is that Fernanda is -- perhaps her dislike of Victoria. Yes, that seems like a good problem to fix. Go, movie, go!

There's nothing in Tanner Hall that you haven't seen before. It's a standard movie with absolutely nothing to set it apart from the crowd, which is a shame because it so desperately wants to be a personal film. It's purportedly based on the experiences of its writer-directors, Tatiana von Fürstenberg and Francesca Gregorini, and it has some fine young actors. It's just that the talent behind the camera wasn't enough to elevate the film beyond the generic, taking a potentially personal script and turning it standard and boring.

The reason that the archetypes are used is so that you can immediately identify and distinguish what's driving each girl forward. You can also recognize each personality easily and therefore we don't need to spend time on that. The problem comes when these characters don't develop or move away from the cliché, which is exactly what happens here. They stay the same, never evolving, until one thing happens which makes them go "Oh, hey, we should get better at life and stuff." The event -- it's different for each of them -- isn't even terribly influential; it just happens to have an impact because ... reasons, I guess.

There's no real flow to the decisions that these characters make. Making decisions on a whim is great and all, and for adolescents, it fits, but even the ones that are supposed to show how they're grown up and have changed simply appear out of nowhere. Perhaps it worked that way in real life for the writer-directors, but I'd like a sense of logic, please. It would at least establish the characters as something more than magical faeries who can do whatever they want at any time.

Tanner Hall was filmed a long time before its release, and even after appearing in various festivals, it wasn't picked up by a distributor until after Rooney Mara signed on for the American Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a hard film to market, so I understand that mentality. If the attempt is to showcase Mara, it doesn't quite work, as she shows nothing of promise here. Nobody really does. If they did, the script might have been elevated beyond the mediocrity that it proves to be.

Tanner Hall could have been powerful, but it falls flat because of a mediocre, easy story that doesn't provide us with any logic, characters that move beyond archetypes, or anything of value. It's a coming-of-age story where all of the transformations for these people happen on a whim, not because of the prior parts of the film. Beyond that, it's simply a dull watch that you've seen before, and better. Skip Tanner Hall.
½ March 7, 2013
Monday, March 4, 2013

(2011) Tanner Hall
DRAMA

"Tanner Hall" as the title describes is kind of like a private school for teenage girls, starring Roomey Mara as Fern narrating her rebellious experience while living there. There's no natural flow regarding any of the characters and their situations which makes it much harder to identify since people do not act like this in real life. I think half the things that happened to the main character, I would've been extremely angry and would physically do something about it.

1 out of 4 stars
½ February 22, 2013
Ultimately not even the gifted Mara can keep the film from feeling like a gauzy portrait of privilege.
½ January 20, 2013
Appalling - a film about spoiled brats made by a couple of spoiled brats with no artistic merit whatsoever
December 13, 2012
Performances are solid as you can get, definitely futures for the four leads. Brie Larson, soooo hawt tho XO There isn't really a proper premise, it kinda just goes with the flow then ends. Which is why it was quite underwhelming. I'd watch it again for Brie Larson tho.
½ November 18, 2012
OMG this is such a false attempt to commencement a novel by j.courtney sullivan, I f i didn't know better (saying commencement was published in 2010 and this film is a 2009 release) I would say this sounds like a bad ripoff to the book, even some of the context seems totally copied from the book. The only things is commencement is an exceptional novel and this film no were nears to it. It is completely attach to a generic plot with no excitement to it. please read the book and you will see the difference between a person who knows how to develop a good, exciting and thrilling story line from a generic idea an a piece of cram narrative like this movie.
November 9, 2012
Was interesting to see Mara in a different role but this was rather messy and all over the place, it wanted to be a biting black comedy but failed miserably.
November 7, 2012
2 star film, adding +1 solely for Brie Larson and Rooney Mara.
November 1, 2012
A very familier story of teenage girls in bording school. While slow the casting was good and makes the movie more memorable than it should be. I can't believe that this was just made last year since Rooney Mara seems much younger than she was in the Dragin Tatoo.
½ October 24, 2012
The scenery/cinematography in this movie was really beautiful. Obviously, because it was New England during Autumn. The acting was impressive for the most part, particularly Rooney Mara's and Georgia King's understated performances. Although the story is a little overdone, it was still entertaining and enjoyable. And it had a good soundtrack, which is a nice bonus.
½ October 24, 2012
Rooney acts fine, but the story is, well...not.
½ October 5, 2012
though this film is typical and gets lost in jumbled story lines of Students and teachers lives it is the cast that makes you stay to the end