Tapeheads - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tapeheads Reviews

½ October 10, 2015
Swanky Modes!

These two ordinary guys with ordinary jobs decide it is time for a career move in the music industry as music video directors. They meet with a producer and they make a deal but their first project has to be made on the director's own dime. They get some pointers and start heading down their dream path to success.

"They sold more records in Sweden than Abba!"

Bill Fishman, director of Car 54, Where are You?; Desperate but Not Serious; and My Dinner with Jimi; delivers Tapeheads. The storyline for this picture is lacking in a UHF kind of way. I was disappointed with the content and characters. I thought it would be more clever. The cast includes John Cusack, Tim Robbins, Mary Crosby, Katy Boyer, and Jessica Walter.

"There's only one thing that provides real production value...tits and ass!"

I grabbed this movie off Netflix because I had never heard of this John Cusack/Tim Robbins collaboration. Well, I kind of wish I never had. This was terrible and a worst version of UHF. I recommend skipping this.

"Sometimes it's difficult to believe a slut."

Grade: D
August 23, 2015
I love this movie! Granted this isn't for everyone but for me and my group of friends, this was/is a cult classic. It's a silly film, take it for what it's worth and the time at which it was made.
July 18, 2014
I love Cusack, but this was irritating and did not work for me.
½ February 14, 2014
Any entertainment value this eighties movie once had is now defunct. It's nearly unwatchable. (First and only viewing - August 2006)
½ January 26, 2014
An occasionally funny mockery of the MTV video making business. It's a bit silly in its own right, but fun and Robbins and Cusack are a likeable enough duo, following their desperation to break through the music video industry with some quirky gags and jokes. The film is cliche in itself a bit despite attacking the cliches of the business, but it's style is somewhat fresh enough too.
½ August 12, 2013
It's better than most people give it credit for.
April 3, 2013
I Youtubed some clips of Tim Robbins and John Cusak dancing and watched parts of Chicken and Waffle rap commercial. I am no longer interested in this movie.
November 13, 2012
Very odd, though weirdly enjoyable 80's film.
½ September 26, 2012
I can't express how lame this film is. A lowlight of my film-viewing life. Horrifically shite.
April 23, 2012
cult classic. looks great.
½ January 27, 2012
Let's say you're 2 up-and-coming actors who happen to share a quirky sense of humor and thus become best friends. Rather than wait for some Hollywood agent to find a project for both to star, you decide to just get together and make one. 'Tapeheads' resonates with anyone who's tried to break into the filmmaking industry. With some brilliant cameos, sharp-timing & uniquely witty dialogue, Tim Robbins & John Cusack wind up having a great time (and take the rest of us along for the ride).
January 22, 2012
Wow! Another gem that slipped through my fingers until now! With John Cusack (in my opinion) you can't go wrong. I've never seen him in a movie that I didn't at least like. This is no exception. It is funny, serious and alltogether a great film!
January 8, 2012
Love it or hate it type of flick.

"Let's get into trouble, baby."-Mo Fuzz (Don Cornelius)
November 14, 2011
dumb but it's fun watching the cast when they were young.
September 29, 2011
This was something I'm ashamed to say that I waited this long to check out!

Cusack and Robbins as the two buddies trying to get a music video career going is amusingly dated now, but so much fun to watch. The rise of their career and involvement in a political scandal is also very 80's feeling to me, but is still well worth a look. Great little time capsule film for the era.

Give it a rental.
½ August 14, 2011
I can't recall this movie when it came out in 1988. It must have gone unnoticed even with 2 great stars such as John Cusack and Tim Robbins. It's a perfect satire of the eighties made at the end of the eighties. It is very funny, with an intelligent script and great dialog. Fine comedic performances by Cusack and Robbins. The movie is full of clever, yet not-so-obvious sight-gags. The soundtrack is fabulous too. In particular, Roscoe's Rap manages to send up MTV, KFC, TV advertising and rap music. Loved it!
August 2, 2011
I've been wanting to see this film for about 22 years, ever since I saw it namechecked on a Fishbone album. It was ok, but not fussed that I waited that long. Would make a nice tripple-bill with Static & Repo Man.
May 9, 2011
Awesome, super quotable movie. I liked it extra much because it reminded me of one of my favorite movies --> Diva (1981)
March 25, 2011
Sometimes uneven but often hilarious movie about two creative losers who go into the music video industry, one being the businessman (played awesomely by John Cusack) and the other the video director (Tim Robbins, the everyman). The movie doesn't make a lot of sense but if you go with the flow you'll love this movie. It's vintage 80's, the only movie I can really compare it to is Better Off Dead.
March 11, 2011
I love this movie, and it's virtually unheard of! It has two big stars: Tim Robbins and John Cusack, as two unemployed friends who start a music video production company, and the craziness that occurs along the way. It's really fun and entertaining, and very funny. It's one of my favourite movies from 88.