Targets Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

A very interesting, very meta movie that is not annoyingly self-conscious. A clear influence on Tarantino, except it doesn't make you want to physically attack the director for being such an asshole.

• Apr 05, 2020

Just a good, solid movie in every way. I can't believe I didn't see it in '68 or heard of it since then. Hmmmm....'68? Maybe I did see it, but it was '68!

• May 07, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Feb 13, 2019

1968 was a great year for movies

1968 was a great year for movies

• Sep 13, 2018

Targets is a movie that tells two stories that seem completely unrelated. On the one side you have a Vietnam veteran who is slowly losing control, and on the other side you have Boris Karloff playing a version of himself as he decides to put in one last personal appearance before retiring. Peter Bogdanovich devises a clever script here that manages to be self-referential almost to the point of breaking the fourth wall. I was intrigued by the setup of the story, and horrified by some of the events that take place in it. I’m not sure if this is based on actual events that the writing team remembered, but things like this have happened in real life since then, which makes it relevant even today. I think the reason that Targets didn’t work for me all that well is that the stories came together in the least interesting and most predictable way. I had a lot of interest watching as the plots started to come together and was fascinated to see what would happen when they collided. But I was disappointed that it was the exact same thing that had been happening and the thing that would have been my first guess. There was a brief moment where it was somewhat surprising but that served as only a tease of what this movie might have been. I commend Targets for having a strong opening and several powerful scenes, but the film fizzled out for me and left me disappointed instead of delighted at the end.

• Apr 14, 2017

Essentially two different plots that some people at a studio liked and said: "Hey, what if we put the two of them together and make one movie! That would save us so much money!"

• Mar 02, 2017

An aging horror star is set to appear at a drive-in movie event, and an unhinged Vietnam decides to position himself behind the screen and use the attending cars full of people as his next set of targets. I was pleased to have grabbed this one off cable and finally given it a spin, as it made for a nice and tense viewing experience. Well worth a look if you get the chance.

• Nov 06, 2016

While this isn't a great film, it is one worth watching at least once. Just to see Korloff without makeup or special effects, or to critique Bagdanovich's above-average debut, or to see what a drive-in theater actually was. Then if you stumble across this film on late night TV, watch it again!

• Aug 10, 2016

• Jul 11, 2016

Targets (1968) C-90m. ??? 1/2 D: Peter Bogdanovich. Boris Karloff, Tim O'Kelly, Arthur Peterson, Peter Bogdanovich, Stafford Morgan. Frightening, strikingly original film about depressed, retired horror actor Karloff who feels movies can't match the horrors of real life; O'Kelly proves it by shooting everyone in sight. Chilling, supremely made, fine performances, and a perfect role for old-timer Karloff. Drive-in massacre finale will drive you right up the wall. A most impressive debut feature for Bogdanovich.