Taris, roi de l'eau (Jean Taris, Swimming Champion) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taris, roi de l'eau (Jean Taris, Swimming Champion) Reviews

September 21, 2015
Taris is not for many people. It is a film that was brilliantly shot, but it is also a nine-minute film about learning how to swim. Take it for what it is worth.
June 13, 2015
Jean Vigo was commissioned to direct this documentary short on French swimming champion Jean Taris. You get the sense he is learning his craft with the film, there are some interesting stylistic shots, including underwater shots that you normally wouldn't see in a documentary of this type. It's short and worth a watch for film enthusiasts.
January 22, 2014
At only 9 minutes in length, its the shortest of Jean Vigo's four works and yet he applies as many, if not more filming techniques here in this short time. Some of the best are his reversing diving shots and underwater slow motion captures. Vigo's skill is apparently and takes something as ordinary as an Olympic swimmer demonstrating swimming techniques and elevates it to art that is captivating and visually alluring! Taris makes you want to take a camera and film just as much as it makes you want to jump in a pool.
October 21, 2013
The better of his two shorts, this doco on swimming champ Jean Taris has some great shots, although Taris comes off looking a tad strange.
½ November 2, 2012
The least impressive and least aspiring of Vigo's work. It is the look at a famous French swimmer and how the strokes of his craft work.

Some additional interesting camera moves including underwater photography, which I was surprised existed at that time. However, it never really strives to do much more than to show the strokes and throw in a couple of interesting shots for the time. Again, another film with no real attempt at a plot, not surprising at only 11 minutes.
½ August 2, 2012
It isn't much, but it's absolutely glorious. Vigo shows that visuals are the most effective use on a viewer. Though it is informative haha.
July 4, 2012
In a short career that included four films (three of them under an hour), this, Jean Vigo's shortest one, may be his most visually brilliant. It so perfectly sums up the brilliant director's style- it is surreal yet informative, poetic yet playful, dazzling yet unpretentious. It is a film about Jean Taris, a professional swimmer who takes us through some of his strokes and methods, but, like his peer Jean Painleve, Vigo was more concerned with the artistry surrounding his subject than the actual information that subject was supplying. It is as if Vigo found the first person he could and asked him to display himself to the camera just to find an excuse to photograph a body, and one gets the impression watching this that Taris has no idea how otherworldly the motions of his body are becoming. The film is at its most stunning during a sequence near the end, where Taris is giving us an exhibition on the competitive swim turn. He flips around against the wall of the pool, over and over, and then swims up to the camera with a big grin on his face; he is a seal in a tank at the zoo. Yet Vigo balances all at once the human and animal qualities of Jean Taris, making him both an object of our human gaze and a self-aware model who returns it. This is an unprecedented document on the human being and a magnificent piece of poetic art.
January 8, 2012
Jean Vigo's ten minutes long documentary Jean Taris, Swimming Champion is pretty much like a instruction video where the Olympic swimmer champion Jean Taris introduce us to the different kinds of swimming techniques. We get to see some spectacular shots, even under water. And what I like the best is the ending when Taris is on his way out dressed up and leaves just like a normal person. But we know he isn't. Thumbs up.
½ December 15, 2011
2.5: It's pretty strange to be watching a French film from 1931 that is essentially using a world record holder to teach us how to swim. It is very well made though. The varying speeds of the camera, the fast forward and reverse, underwater shots, etc, must have been pretty interesting at the time. That's about all I have to say about this 9 minute wonder.
November 6, 2011
I like this one a lot better than A propos de Nice. I can not go nuts over it, it is basically a swimming tutorial, but it was pretty cool for the time. The ending was also pretty funny.
October 26, 2011
A beautiful look at a professional swimmer. One of the best shorts I've ever seen, and surprisingly engaging.
October 19, 2010
Tyylikkäästi ja humoristisesti kuvattu.
½ August 31, 2010
Zoom in! Slo-mo! Slo-mo! Slo-mo!
February 20, 2010
Jean Vigo's second short is a playful, visually audacious study of aquatic technique. Not much here -- it's essentially an instructional film -- but the young filmmaker imbues it with a pixie-esque sense of fun, as well as underwater photography which must have been stunning at the time of release.
May 14, 2008
Jean Taris was a French Olympic swimmer - this is a short documentary about him. I wish I knew more about swimming, and what was possible on film at that time, in order that I could appreciate the merits of this film better.
½ April 9, 2008
A documentary about swimmer Jean Taris. A beautiful and experimental film, especially the underwater scenes.
½ April 9, 2008
December 9, 2007
i want to watch the whole movie